firedog

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

3 hours ago, dalethorn said:

I read the Stereophile article a day or two ago, and I got the impression that this system, in spite of so much reliance on the included amps and DSP, got what read like an A-plus rating on Stereophile. Since the price for everything is under $12k (correct?), it would seem like a huge breakthrough in speaker/amplifier value.  I don't remember reading anything that said ".....but compared to the $75k Wilson 'xyz' model, the Kii's don't do quite as well at ______ or _______"

So is it really as good as the big guys?  Amps and all?

Stands and control together are about $3000, so full system MSRP is about $14500. 

Either stands or Control are optional. You can also buy very good competing stands for less and save a little (although the included ones are very nice and do match perfectly). I'm not in the States, I got my system for less. You'd have to see if dealers give a discount.

As I noted, I think you can get a better system in some areas by spending a lot more. I think Kal Rubinson called them "competitive" with anything out there; that's a good way to describe it.

That said, for sure there are people who won't like them: people who like a warm tubey sound. They aren't cold sounding, but don't add warmth that isn't there. They're powered by a custom version of NCore amps - so if you don't think NCores sound good enough, they may not be for you. They are not harsh or clinical, but very clean and revealing - simply not everyone's cup of tea.

I do know of people who have bought them solely based on write ups. I wouldn't do that, but that's me. I believe the US importer has a 30 day trial offer if you deposit the price upfront - at least he did at one point. Maybe individual dealers will give you a home audition, if none are nearby.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, esimms86 said:

Great review firedog, very much appreciated. My questions are (1)how do they sound with 70's and 80's classic rock? Truth in sound can be a wonderful thing but, as they say, be careful what you ask for. I'd sincerely hate having the exposed flaws magnified in some of my favorite recordings, rendering them unlistenable. (2)Do you still miss having your favorite DACs in your system?

They do reveal everything. I wouldn't say they ruin any music for me, but they will reveal recording flaws. But, on balance, the ability to reveal adds to enjoyment for me. On good recordings they reveal even more of the good, too, and sound fantastic.

I have a couple of old rock albums that were highly produced, processed, compressed, etc.,( as part of typical recording practices 40 years ago) and can hear a few anamolies revealed - like a cymbal that was sort of buried in the mix that is revealed to have a strange  artificial sound to it now that you can hear it (and all the processing) better. But that's the exception. Most recordings sound better than ever.

On some albums it makes you realize the recording isn't that great (or that such a revealing system wasn't anticipated), but that certainly doesn't make them unlistenable, just a little different than before. They become "good music I enjoy, not the greatest recording"; when before they were "good music I enjoy, good recording".

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Audiolense DRC>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

10 hours ago, esimms86 said:

(2)Do you still miss having your favorite DACs in your system?

Sorry, forgot to answer this. 

Answer is no. I like not having to think about fidddling with the components. (Although I can still fiddle with the source.)

The DACs and ADCs in the Kiis are custom designed for them. From a few comments Bruno P has made, apparently they are similar to the design/concept to the DAC  in the Mola Mola DAC. In any case they are clearly very good, so I don't think about "what if...".

I asked Kii if there was a native sample rate to feed them a digital signal that would result in better sound. They replied there wasn't, as they work internally on an upsample  to a non standard high rate, and use their own SRC and filters. And that the best thing is to just feed them the native rate of the source material. They apparently have custom designed filters for each individual incoming sample rate. 

So far I've found that their suggestion seems to be true. I still plan to experiment with HQP feeding them different source up-samples, but so far haven't found it to be a clear advantage. 

I have heard of users attaching a turntable and phono preamp with good results, but other than occasional use, I can't see why anyone would do that. If that's your main source, the Kii would seem like an odd choice for a system.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

Thx.

No, not cheap - but DSP is the essence of mass manf. lowering prices, so...

Are there any specific speakers you can compare these with? (small or large rooms)

Also, I don't understand the fired forward in a "cardioid" pattern comment.  Do you mean the base and convex apex is at the speaker?

Scroll down to see picture here:
and

4 hours ago, jaspal kallar said:

Could you say why you "didn't want to go in that direction." ?

I ask since I'm looking at going in the Lyngdorf direction, namely the 2170 with their DSP RoomPerfect.

I wanted something more dynamic and more full range than what I had. The Lyngdorf wouldn't have gotten me there as I would still have the same speakers. My previous setup wasn't lacking in power to drive the speakers, the speakers simply weren't full range and didn't have the dynamic ability the Kiis have.

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

that animation does not show a cardioid pattern

The picture in the other link does. The animation is showing that the propagation is to the front and not to the sides or back.

43 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

got it - I'm impressed that Putzey's moved into speakers

He previously was part of the team that made the Grimm LS1

6 hours ago, input username here said:

5. The THREEs have bluetooth built in, it's just not currently active (this will, allegedly, be selectable from the CONTROL).  I wish they would turn this on so so I could more easily connect them to my PC, which is just a convenience connection, the uR is my "serious" listening input.

I was told by Kii that BT will be functional at the "end of the summer".

27 minutes ago, input username here said:

I see.  And we've had a short exchange on Zman on another CA thread and I think we are in full agreement on that point (we both want it!).  I thought WiSA was not yet enabled, but I was told by the US importer that WiSA is, in fact, "on" in the THREEs but the issue is that Kii's WiSA "hub" has not been built.  Perhaps there are other multi-channel WiSA sources out there that could take advantage of this input, I just don't know much about the technology (... except I don't think it's taken off in the way its backers had hoped).

Well that's certainly good news.  I wonder how we're supped to select BT, since the CONTROL's input buttons labels are printed on (and don't include BT).  I guess if the Kii guys are clever enough to design the THREEs the're clever enough to resolve this UI issue however....

You'd have to assume it will be in the menus. I'd also assume you could just leave it on, and then any phone, etc. could just pair with it.

9 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

BT is a distraction since its primary attribute is convenience, not sound quality.

Of course, but it will great for letting friends play music from their phones on the Kii and see their reactions.

2 hours ago, Kelly said:

Has anyone experimented with the digital inputs into the Kii Control? I am figuring to get an optimized USB source but am still somewhat unconvinced that USB offers any great advantage over a well executed SPDIF source (assuming the you don't care about DSD or over 192, which I don't.) The mRendu seems to be a popular choice here, can anyone comment on how  the Kii Control USB interface responds to the various USB tweaks?

Also, I noticed the Kii Control screen comes on with only USB port plugged into a computer and no KiiLink cable, so the Conrol must draw some power through the USB port, does anyone know the current draw requirement for the USB input?  Is it a full 500mA?

I'm using mine with the mR as the input. Works great, no issues. I haven't found USB enhancers to help, the KII is galvanically isolated.

1 hour ago, Brucemck2 said:

Kal, or anyone else using the Control ...

Is there a "trick" to getting the Control unit to change the bass and treble response of the speakers? I can get the Control unit to change the right/left master, but when I make changes to the response parameters there are no changes to the actual response (as confirmed using REW). Perhaps the speakers need to first have their rotary dials set to the default position? Some button sequence?

Thanks!

If the control is connected and working, it should override any setting on the speaker.

First disconnect the control from the speakers and the speakers from the electricity and then hook them up again. Press the reset button on each one.

If you disconnect the control and run the speakers directly, and change the settings, does the reponse change?

If it does, then set the speakers at their default settings and try changing the response again using the control. It should work.

If not, contact Kii.

57 minutes ago, c1f said:

So, what are your impressions when using the analog input?

Thanks.

Th analog input is excellent. Basically transparent to source for all intents and purposes.

8 hours ago, input username here said:

I've never used the analog input, I have absolutely no need.  I've heard it's not nearly as good as full-digital from a number of sources, but maybe firedog's first-hand experience is more compelling than my no-experience.

Oh, I agree the digital input sounds better. But the analog input sounds virtually identical to what the analog source sounds like.

7 minutes ago, c1f said:

Would you be able to describe what happens to differentially-balanced signals over the Kii's XLR inputs?

Would any advantage(s) conferred by differentially-balanced signals via XLR be immaterial with the Kii Three? :confused:

Not sure what you are trying to ask. The XLR on the Kii can be defined as either digital or analog. If you set it up as analog and attach your XLR phono output (or any analog input)  to it, it digitizes the input and then processes it exactly as it does with any digital input.

4 minutes ago, simonp said:

The last weeks I've been experimenting with a isolation transformer and a dc blocker. The soundstage is deeper and a bit more focus with the Kii. Apparently the Kii processors and dac have a benefit with a cleaner power (like most audio equipment of course). 

But why a DC blocker? Have you found symptoms of excess DC on the line - a hum internal to your equipment? DC  usually isn't an issue; in fact the blocker could actually make your system sound less dynamic if it isn't really needed.

20 minutes ago, simonp said:

The toroidal isolation transformer was in periods of time humming a lot. Apparently there is a problem in my power circuit.

Dynamics hasn't changed.

Ah, get it. Yes, that type of hum can be very annoying.  Do you live in a single family home? Or condo/apt?

You can probably find the source of the DC interference if you invest a bit of time (I can PM you if you are interested). Usually it is something like a fridge or specific small appliance, such as a hair dryer or printer (even when not turned on).

7 hours ago, input username here said:

... is the "bigger" Kii supposed to be the FOUR or the TWO?  Do they get more ambitious as the numbering goes "up," or are we working our way to ONE? 

Since I already own the THREEs, so I'm not really shopping but, like mriguy, I am curious about any next-steps for the company. 

Also, since the Bluetooth is supposed to be activated in a software update "soon," I wonder (1) if anyone has an update on the update and (2) do people thing that the update will basically turn-on a feature or two (Bluetooth, etc.) or is it more likely that they will do a through software re-working of the complete system (like, say, PS Audio with the Directstream DAC or the Devialet pro series); obviously, I hope it's more the latter, though I have no inside info. at this point.  (And I understand that the on-board DACs are apparently chips, not FPGAs, but pretty much everything else in the speaker runs on software, so it should be a highly tweak-able platform.)

I've read that they are considering both a smaller, less expensive speaker and also a larger floorstander. Have no idea what they will do. I did read that the idea of the floorstander is to use the same drivers (possibly more of them?) and to make a design that will deal with floor reflections - something they didn't do with the Three in order not to make it overly complex and delay market launch. 

As far as Controller update, I'd write them directly and ask. 6 months ago they told me BT would be added in a FW update by "the end of the summer", and about 3 months ago they told me "soon". There is also a rumor (confirmed by some dealers) that a larger, more capable Kii Control is coming out, but no one seems to know the details. 

I'm not sure the onboard DACs are chips, or purely chip based. It's supposedly a proprietary DAC. Bruno did say somewhere (quoted in print) that the ASRC in the Threes is similar in concept (not the same) to that in the Mola Mola DAC, which in my understanding means at least that part is software based. 

1 hour ago, phosphorein said:

I suspect the firmware update will add a menu item for BT or allow BT input to override the normal input setting as many Airplay devices do. I am not so enamored with audio over BT but an iOS or android app providing expanded control would be great.

I think you must be right. My iPod Tidal app asks if I want the output to be “Airplay or Bluetooth”.  I’ve been seeing that BT device  in my BT options and didn’t realize what it  was. I’m guessing that when Kii updates the firmware it will also change the name to something that lets us know it is the Kii Control and then it will produce sound output.

They definitely work fine in a corner.

In my case (small room) I prefer them slightly out of the corners, as they are closer to me and sound louder that way - I sometimes play quite loud. 

But they definitely work in corners. 

I wouldn’t think putting one on a sideboard would get you the best results. But as noted, they are very adaptable.

32 minutes ago, patagent said:

These sound like top notch floorstanders.  Absolutely worth the price IMO.  Haven’t heard the D1.1 but have heard D2.1.  Raidho have such unique sound signature so it’s hard to compare.  But I would probably take the Kii’s over the B&W 802D3.  The Kii’s are not for everyone.  My wife thought it sounded good but lacked “life” probably because she’s not used to flat FR and DSP.  

4 hours ago, GUTB said:

The price seems very steep. For that price you can get a used pair of Raidho D1.1s. Will these actually compete with high end standmounts?

The Kii's are "competitive" with anything, as Kal Rubinson said in his review. Whether you like them more or less than another speaker is a matter of taste.

I'm sure you can find $15-40K speakers you can add a sub, cabling, DAC, and amplification to that you might like better. I highly preferred the Kiis to a system consisting of the Magico standmounts amplified by Solution electronics. That amp and speakers (no DAC, without cables, no sub/no very low end bass) must have cost about 3 times what the Kii setup did. 

I'm certain some audiophiles would think I'm crazy. To each his own. 

10 hours ago, Kelly said:

I understand the concern but I agree with simonp in this regard. Anytime you take a sizable step up in resolution and accuracy there is an adjustment period where you have to get used to the new information and things sounding different than you are used to. I have been listening to the Kii Three for about 6 months now, and I have to say that with the Kii you really get to hear the recording itself in total. The speaker can sound flat only when the recording sounds that way. I went on a Sam Cooke binge a few weekends ago and I just couldn't get over how fantastic those 50s and 60s recordings of his voice sounded. Obviously it was old, outdated technology, but his voice was just brilliantly captured on those recordings. When you switch from one recording to another with the Kii the differences are immediately clear. I can only liken it to getting a new prescription for my glasses and suddenly everything pops into focus: it is a higher resolution devic but everything is appropriate, there is nothing objectionable or unnatural about it. In fact things sound more natural than on any system I have had before.

agree. haven't found the Kii lessens my enjoyment of any recordings

2 hours ago, baconbrain said:

I have also heard rumors that Santa‘s Sleigh might be langing on my roof this Weds with a pair of Kii‘s to place under the the tree. Really excited and looking forward to an excellent sounding xmas this year!

I feel sorry for Santa and the Reindeer- those Kiis and their stands are heavy!  Tell Santa to be careful not to put a hole in your roof.