IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Great review firedog, very much appreciated. My questions are (1)how do they sound with 70's and 80's classic rock? Truth in sound can be a wonderful thing but, as they say, be careful what you ask for. I'd sincerely hate having the exposed flaws magnified in some of my favorite recordings, rendering them unlistenable. (2)Do you still miss having your favorite DACs in your system?

• 7 months later...

While I admit right upfront that I've never heard the Kii Three's, I do notice that @firedog lists GIK Room Treatments in his signature. I also admit that I don't know whether or not the GIK Room Treatment existed in his listening space prior to his purchase of the Kii Three.  My question is, does room treatment(GIK or otherwise) still make for significant improvements in sound or does the built in DSP processing make said room treatment unnecessary(or, perhaps, minimize the positive contribution of room treatment)?

2 hours ago, TheStupidOne said:

To make it abundantly clear, you will absolutely need room treatments if you want Kii Three to sound anywhere near its potential. Here is what the Kii offers by its own;

- Adjustable output below 40 hz to compensate for boundary reinforcement (proximity to walls).

- Adjustable output in the bass, midrange and treble area in any combination - more detailed and adjustable via Control.

- Cardioid dispersion above 100 hz which reduces (but not eliminates) output behind the speakers - and thus reduces the interference level from front wall reflections, meaning you hear more direct sound.

What the speakers can't do;

-  Room correction. The speakers doesn't measure or account for the room and its acoustics.

-  Reduce reflections from sidewalls or backwall (wall behind head) - meaning peaks and nulls in the frequency response.

-  Reduce modal build-up in the bass.

-  Reduce time domain issues that comes from asymmetrical placement. 

In short, Kii Three uses its DSP to correct for inherent problems in any speaker as well as to provide a controlled dispersion pattern that results in a more homogeneous sound in the sweet spot than most other speakers, making them sound better than most in normal environments, but not in any way immune to the effects of physics.

To make it clearer I can provide a measurement that demonstrate the effect of the room even with Kii Three;

distortion.jpg

Thanks for that thorough response and explanation.