IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

43 minutes ago, #Yoda# said:

I've listen to the Kii Three + BTX module at the Innuos booth at the High End show today. In my perception, the BTX module spend the Kii Three some more bass power, but the overall sound is still somehow anemic and artificial. Natural (analog) sound is different IMO and it's not the fault of the Innuos SE source in this combination.

IMG_0755.JPG

I don't know quite why, but the Kiis look like Daleks in that picture, but in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, badboygolf16v said:

What would these world class engineers know about this stuff anyway? Ethernet cables, power cables and digital source will make no difference to a properly engineered system.

I totally agree. The source or cabling won't make any difference. I think that in the case of the BXT that listeners aren't used to the reduced early floor reflections (who is?), so things will sound a bit odd at first (even to THREE owners). Given some time, however, I reckon people will come round. Unless they are really attached to inaccurate sound...

1 minute ago, phosphorein said:

Spot on! There is no comparison between the local fIle and a Tidal streamed file. Local always sounds superior. I suspect that the combination of room acoustics and Tidal led to problems in Munich. I would never make a quality judgement based on an experience at an audio show.

There is a total equivalence between local files and those streamed. If they are the same file. That can be difficult to verify, with so many different masterings etc around. But the same digits will always sound the same.

9 minutes ago, phosphorein said:

The problem is that I don’t know that the files are the same. As you say, different masterings or possible “watermarks” on the Tidal files...all I know is the Tidal files sound more astringent with the Kii.

If the sound is always more "astringent" to you, I suspect expectation (or similar) bias, as there is no other explanation known to science . Unless Tidal are playing with things. :) 

Just now, phosphorein said:

Not to my knowledge. MQA is a sham IMHO and I have no means to process MQA files.

I totally agree that it is a sham, and backdoor DRM, but if you choose the "master" version on Tidal, that's what you get. Tidal does the "first unfolding" for you. To your detriment.

Perhaps the only reason that I don't use Tidal is the fact that they are giving money to MQA, which should be boycotted by all music lovers.

I didn't know about Universal Music watermarks, but surely they are not the only only providers. Thank you for that information, though. I am still absolutely certain that the same file will sound the same. And that is all that I said. Thanks again for that info, though. :)

By the way, if streaming services aren't providing the unadulterated files, they should be shot!

What a load of w*nk! 4k euros for a streamer. I'll stick with my Squeezebox. Jitter? It's dead, boys. A non issue, sorted many years ago. What I really hate about it is that the guy was lying, and he knew it. What a c*nt!

And Bruno Putzeys no longer has any involvement with Grimm. He offered them the concept of the Kii THREE, and they stupidly declined.

1 hour ago, Kal Rubinson said:

No, there is no added LPF for the Threes.  The overall DSP function is modified to integrate the BXT without it.

I am one of those people who believe there is no difference.  You should be able to hear the micing arrangements with any good and competently designed speaker system.  As for the pianos in your head, that has little to do with the speakers but more to do with poor setup and the recording itself.  While you may find the extramusical sounds of Gould or Jarrett disturbing (as I do), if they are on the recording and your speaker doesn't reproduce them or effectively reduces their levels, then your speaker system (monitor or domestic design) is faulty.

Agreed. I want to hear what those recording have recorded. If I don't like it, I won't listen to it again. Band or recording. There's plenty of other stuff out there.

But I do pity those "young" bands without any recording experience who get "treated" for the market, then bomb because of it.

1 minute ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Its a preference thing at the end of the day and I guess depends on what one considers real and natural. I would argue for both but have no problem either way.

"Real", "natural"? Sound reproduction will never be either. You can take your choice, but some methods are more accurate than others.

• 3 months later...

Interestingly, Kii say of the BXT: "Astoundingly enough small rooms profit a lot from the line source concept." And they are talking at least as small as 4x4 metres.

So what's going on? Could it be that people need longer to adjust to the lack of floor bounce?

Have the full specs been released for the BXT? Kii were very coy when they announced them, but said that specs would follow. Now that they are out there, so to speak, there still seems no be nothing. According to their website, they still haven't decided on the foot plate.

I want them to be good, but first impressions don't seem to be going that way. Yet I still can't think that Bruno Putseys would have laid a turd. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Kii were quick at getting back to me with this:

you are absolutely right that we are a bit late with this.
We will post this on the website in the coming days.
Its a bit busy right now with about three trade shows every weekend.
I am sure you will understand.

The serial base plates are in production and will ship with the serial production models of course - with spikes and all.

I hope you can find the chance to give the Kii THREE BXT System a listen on one of our many occasions.

All the best and thanks a lot for your interest.

Chris Reichardt
2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

a lot more than that - did you read Kal's post?  or his review?

BTW, bdy gain is often called bdy loading

Nonetheless, they are very expensive and have some other 'relative detriments' so some of use will just have to hobble along with Maggies for awhile...

I was talking about the bxt only.

9 minutes ago, dustblue said:

I would love to see someone who really knows kii tell us the overload doesn’t mean shit and we are free to use it at 100volume without fearing to burn the speaker. 

That way I can put the threes in my lobby, not a pair of expensive wilsons.

The limiting is what ensures that the drivers don't exit the enclosure. You can turn them up to eleven, and you won't hurt them.