IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

On 8/18/2017 at 1:51 PM, firedog said:

I've used solutions like TACT and Lyngdorf in the past - they pretty much worked, but I didn't want to go in that direction. 

Could you say why you "didn't want to go in that direction." ?

I ask since I'm looking at going in the Lyngdorf direction, namely the 2170 with their DSP RoomPerfect.

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

3 hours ago, simonp said:

The source was also improved, following the positive experiences on the C.A. Forum also bought a microrendu and connected to the Kii via a Singxer F1.

2017-08-22 10.18.26 (360x640).jpg

Thanks for your review!

Two questions:

(1)  Just wondered,  The Singxer F1 is a USB-to-spdif converter.  So you go spdif into the Kii Controller?  

If so why not go straight USB in to the Kii Controller

i.e. Ultrarendu --> usb cable --> iOS regen --> usb cable -> Kii controller 

instead of:

i.e. Ultrarendu --> usb cable iOS regen --> usb cable -> Singxer F1 -> spdif cable --> Kii controller 

Or, did you mean the Singxer SU1 which is usb to AES converter instead of the Singxer F1  ?

(2)  Are your Kii Three's a standard or custom finish?  They look really nice.

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

11 hours ago, simonp said:

The chain is now Daphile Pc - Fmc - Ultrarendu - Iso Regen - Singxer F1 - Canare spdif/aes - wireworld aes gold - Kii

When I buyed the Kii the Control was not ready, so thats why I used the F1. The Singxer is a very good and I am now focused to  get the best out of the digital chain. When I have some money saved the Control is a nice addition. 

Its frozen bronze (from BMW), a custom color. Kii has used that color before;

image.thumb.png.dfa96668f2579ae24b6102cd01e8793e.png

Ok, I see you use some kind of adapter from spdif to aes (i.e Canare spdif/aes)

Oh nice colour that Bronze.  

I listened to the Kii Thre's today at my dealer in Stockholm (Sweden).  

I'm not good at describing sounds but I was very impressed. Infact it beat (IMHO) systems costing at least twice or thrice as much at other dealers I've been to.  

The dealer used an Aurender N10 as the source playing Tidal. My current source is the SOtm sMS-200 using Roon Rock (Intel Nuc).  The dealers room was really large (compared to mine)  so I will need to get the Kii Three for a home trial before being sure that they fit my criteria.

(Edit: One criteria is to see how big the soundstage would be in my smallish room close to the back wall and in corners compared to at the dealer where the Kii Three's were well into the room and away from corners producing a big and deep soundstage. The dealer thought that the soundstage would be less in a smaller room)

However, the budget of the Kii Three's is more than I want to pay at the moment but I may just wait and save up.  Essentially I need a new dac and amp and perhaps speakers also, so the Kii Three seems like a nice solution where at least I don't have to worry about IC/speaker cables etc.. in the future

I think the hype is warranted but as always YMMV :-)

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1261.JPG

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, input username here said:

Yes, I am using Audioquest's Cinnamon (which is somewhat dubiously graded CAT7)... because I'm an audiophile and I get nervous (not a good excuse, I know).  Anyway, it works just fine, no problems at all.  The cables that come with the Kii's actually look quite nice and robust, but I've never tried them.

Curious, does the Audioquest's Cinnamon (CAT 7) sound better than the cables that come with the Kii's?

8 hours ago, input username here said:

PC's are from Kubala Sosna,

Thanks for your reply.  

Just one more thing.  

Are you using Kubala Sosna PC's on each Kii speaker? If so, what model?  I've  only read positive things about the  Kubala Sosna PC's, hence why I ask.  

6 hours ago, firedog said:

Approx 2.85m. It's a fairly small room, which is part of the reason I bought the Kiis. I can get full range reproduction (20-20k), lots of dynamics, and still not overload the room. Difficult to do with a conventional system in a room like this. 

How far apart are the Kii's? And, how far from the wall are the Kii's?