IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Very nice to hear from others about the Kii’s. This is my experience and way I use it with the associated equipment.

For about a year, I have the Kii’s at my home. After a demo I became very interested in these active speakers. And after some reading (reviews) and listening here and there and trying for a few time a demo set (along with a Lumin streamer) there was no doubt anymore. What a service, having this demo material for some time! (Thanks gydotron)

I had a beautiful set, with 10 year old Kharma speakers. Time for something new because more and more the mids were not giving me the natural sound I like. What struck me during the demo was a beautiful wide and deep stereo image and focus. They sounded very natural with great live feeling. The size of the Kii also seemed to fit me very well with my listening room.

After waiting for more than half a year, they were finally in my room, when the first songs were played, my speakers stands were not ready yet. I first wanted to adjust them before they were sprayed.  The stands only sounded like a tune fork with the associated frequency, not the best. After filling with sand in the pipes and pouring concrete into the footplate, the Kii stood in a stable and quiet position.

The source was also improved, following the positive experiences on the C.A. Forum also bought a microrendu and connected to the Kii via a Singxer F1.

For a few weeks a Ultrarendu as a source, in combination with the iso regen and the Singxer. Power supply by an Uptone lps1. What strikes is the huge depth and focus with a high resolution and also a nice analog sound. What a difference with my previous setup I did not think this was possible. There is still room for improvement, because the lps1 feeds the urendu and the iso regen, with the fmc that I use there is an extra power supply needed. Now I use a battery pack to maintain isolation. But maybee it also brings some extra noise. With an extra lps1 I can feed the iso regen alone and connect the rest to the other lps1.

Off coarse the Kii’s have a lot benefit from there Active Wave Focusing, but it’s still very important to give well treated room acoustics. Short reflecting points should be prevented.

Conclusion about the Kii three together with the other equipment; amazingly and beautiful. More and more I listen to the complete songs you just get lost in the music. Strong points of the Kii; A detailed imaging  with a lot of depth, focus, a nice layer with a lot of sophistication, and a nice natural sound for voices.

2017-08-22 10.18.26 (360x640).jpg

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

9 hours ago, jaspal kallar said:

(1)  Just wondered,  The Singxer F1 is a USB-to-spdif converter.  So you go spdif into the Kii Controller?  

If so why not go straight USB in to the Kii Controller

i.e. Ultrarendu --> usb cable --> iOS regen --> usb cable -> Kii controller 

The chain is now Daphile Pc - Fmc - Ultrarendu - Iso Regen - Singxer F1 - Canare spdif/aes - wireworld aes gold - Kii

When I buyed the Kii the Control was not ready, so thats why I used the F1. The Singxer is a very good and I am now focused to  get the best out of the digital chain. When I have some money saved the Control is a nice addition. 

9 hours ago, jaspal kallar said:

2)  Are your Kii Three's a standard or custom finish?  They look really nice

Its frozen bronze (from BMW), a custom color. Kii has used that color before;

image.thumb.png.dfa96668f2579ae24b6102cd01e8793e.png

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

• 1 month later...

The last weeks I've been experimenting with a isolation transformer and a dc blocker. The soundstage is deeper and a bit more focus with the Kii. Apparently the Kii processors and dac have a benefit with a cleaner power (like most audio equipment of course). 

The toroidal isolation transformer was in periods of time humming a lot. Apparently there is a problem in my power circuit.

Dynamics hasn't changed.

Its a country house, when have some time (and a mains noise analyser) I will try to find the best mains line. And take some bad components out (like dimmers, chinese LED bulbs). But in the meantime the Kii's sounding very nice!

• 1 month later...

The Kii DSP controls every driver seperatly, every driver has his own da converter and amp.  Don't think it will be easy on a Revel F206 with a seperate DSP. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've experienced that recordings which I thought they were less, turn out now to be very enjoyable. The quality of the streamer is of coarse also very important. The kii is sounding very natural...

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think a 2.1 setup will bring you a better sound. I also made custom stands, looking the same like the original but with a thicker base plate  and top plate.

21 hours ago, atletico said:

But my digital sources through the simple Kii Control sounded better !

Agree with this. I have a better sound by using the iso regen and ultrarendu combo direct to the kii control (no cable only the uspcb adapters). Previously I used the Singxer f1 with a canara aes spdif converter. And Wireworld gold aes cable to connect with the kii. With the kii control treble is better and the stereo image is better detailed. Very happy with the kii control. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I received my Kii Control with a long cat6e cable and replaced it with a short one (1,5m). The control is a big step forward in my setup. 

While the Kii is less sensitive from room acoustics, you need to lose or avoid direct reflections. The placement of instruments or vocals are much better without these direct reflections. 

15 hours ago, Gastronaut said:

When it comes to "warm" sound, Kii's will deliver you depending on with what you feed them. I am using digital and analog inputs and if you have a bad source, Kii will not lying to you. They will show you exactly if something is wrong. Bad produced material will sound bad and that's it . I am also listening my TT via Kii's and can not be happier.

Agree with Gastronaut, if the Kii's sounds analytical its probably the source. I remember a demo with a lumin streamer, it wase also a bit with harshness.

The sound a have here is very natural and engaging. The Kii Control is a must have and don't forget the room acoustics.

Try a demo with the Kii's with the best available source. And you will find a very nice time machine wich takes you to the the music.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, baconbrain said:

So, the Kii Control arrived and I am struggling a bit to get a remote functioning.

The manual states that by selecting advanced settings -> IR remote settings -> imprint remote, the kii control will recognize the remote utilized by pressing any key on the RC handset. I have attempted to do so with 3 different RC’s and the kii control does not recognize any of them.

Any Ideas?

You have to push a button on your remote when you are in the pairing menu. First select te type rc5 or apple.

8 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

Tried to set to RC5 prior to pairing but the setting won’t stick. As soon as I press “esc” to save it, it reverts back to no setting ...?

I use a apple remote, and I needed to pair (push a button of the rc) the control has to know wich channel is used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the Ultrarendu, Roon and squeezelite output. Roon is better in my setup. But local files are magic in combination with the Kii's. I also heard demo's with the Kii wich sounded a bit poor. But the source is a very important piece of the chain. 

There are also sound engineers saying they make a different mixes for cd and for spotify. And there are of coarse also different mixes or remasters to make it sound more "spirit at age"

And in my opinion that's realy sad. They have to keep the original as an art piece.

But that's not the only difference, I have a hifi account but I don't think the music is completely lossless.

• 4 months later...

I have the kii's for all most two years now and never had a red light from the limiter.

When my kii is on there is no light so a blicking red light should have been seen. 

enter->advanced setting->limiter indicator->yes

Ok will check this. 

Was also at demo's in big rooms. Never notice problems with a limiter.

• 3 months later...

I use essential audio power cables and the Lush 2 usb cable. The Lush is a real accession to my setup. I love wat they do, I used the uspcb adapter first. The Lush is much better in my set. Sometimes I think nobody has heard the kii like this, really enjoying!

Never tried the Supra. But I tried my lush 2 on another kii setup but with the auralic aries and it didn't realy changed a lot. Maybee the combination with the iso regen and ultrarendu workshop better with the Lush.