IGNORED

Article: Music Storage, New Music, Remote Access, and a Cool Streamer Project

41 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Agreed!! 

So I guess I need to buy the 1817+ and you and I can be the first "CA Buddy team" as a trial :) 

Would love to do so, but you would have to deal with intercontinental Internet transfer rates (not ideal, but I am in Asia). Am game to set up a test, so that we can get an idea of the speed of uploads and downloads, before committing to buying extra HDDs.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

@The Computer Audiophile I am still very much interested in the archiving of a single set of lossless music files, which all of us have partial access to (depending on our ownership of music) for the sole purpose of remote back-up. It would really be cool if that service could then populate a new HDD and send it to the member (at additional charge to cover costs of the HDD and transport), should that member's primary back-up fails.

I still think that it would be a worthwhile project to explore, although there may be some teething issues with metadata and file formats. However, I definitely would still prefer transcoding a bunch of music files, to re-ripping the said files from CD (this would be needed if they are in different file format - FLAC->AIFF, for example).

Am I the only one? Or can we really get something like this going? If we are serious, then we should really try to get a show of hands as to how many are willing to jump on to share the costs of setting this up.

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I have 1 Gbps upload / download with no data cap or any restrictions :~)

I also have 1 Gbps, but I only see such crazy speeds for local traffic. That was why I signed with Amazon Cloud, because they operate a data centre in country.

4 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

@The Computer Audiophile I am still very much interested in the archiving of a single set of lossless music files, which all of us have partial access to (depending on our ownership of music) for the sole purpose of remote back-up. It would really be cool if that service could then populate a new HDD and send it to the member (at additional charge to cover costs of the HDD and transport), should that member's primary back-up fails.

I still think that it would be a worthwhile project to explore, although there may be some teething issues with metadata and file formats. However, I definitely would still prefer transcoding a bunch of music files, to re-ripping the said files from CD (this would be needed if they are in different file format - FLAC->AIFF, for example).

Am I the only one? Or can we really get something like this going? If we are serious, then we should really try to get a show of hands as to how many are willing to jump on to share the costs of setting this up.

Maybe we could sign up for an unlimited data corporate enterprise server account and then all split the monthly costs? That would also allow for personal folders for each member of the group with password protection, etc so not to worry about your very good idea, which would be much more difficult to manage and implement?? 

2 minutes ago, agladstone said:

Maybe we could sign up for an unlimited data corporate enterprise server account and then all split the monthly costs? That would also allow for personal folders for each member of the group with password protection, etc so not to worry about your very good idea, which would be much more difficult to manage and implement?? 

Part of the rationale is to cut the storage requirements (and associated costs) by cutting out all the duplicated data.

23 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

I also have 1 Gbps, but I only see such crazy speeds for local traffic. That was why I signed with Amazon Cloud, because they operate a data centre in country.

My bandwidth speed tests consistently show ~925 Mbps up and down. I can usually transport data as fast as the other allows. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My bandwidth speed tests consistently show ~925 Mbps up and down. I can usually transport data as fast as the other allows. 

Good for you. I just did a random speed test with a server in LA, my down speed is 10% of my local down speed, and my up speed is about 3% of local up speed. Pathetic!

40 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

Part of the rationale is to cut the storage requirements (and associated costs) by cutting out all the duplicated data.

I understand! Basically you're suggesting an audiophile version of what itunes Launched years ago, except minus the 320mps downgrade of all your music :) 

its a great idea, but how to Manage such a task? 

Roon could do this! But how could we?? 

29 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

See?  This is why we need MQA.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

21 minutes ago, agladstone said:

I understand! Basically you're suggesting an audiophile version of what itunes Launched years ago, except minus the 320mps downgrade of all your music :) 

its a great idea, but how to Manage such a task? 

Roon could do this! But how could we?? 

I am not proposing that the two of us do it. It is something of a business project, depending on what potential uptake will be like.

5 minutes ago, mlknez said:

Check out opendrive.  They are $99/year unlimited with 2 users and no throttling.  They also have a bunch of access methods that work well.

https://www.opendrive.com/

Thanks for the information. 

Its odd, they offer a custom plan option, if I select 10TB of total storage and 1TB of daily usage allowed the price is $840 per yr or 85/ mo   

However their unlimited plan is only 9.99 / mo or 99.00/ yr. 

I wonder if this means what they call "unlimited", really has some un-written limits?  Otherwise, why would a custom plan with 1TB upload and download per day and 10TB of total allowed storage cost 8 times more than what they call the "unlimited" plan?? 

BTW, I mis-typed on my earlier post - I'm on CrashPlan and not Carbon Copy. When I did my earlier search that lead to CrashPlan, they were the ONLY source that was economically attractive for my library at the time, which was 2.5TB.  Now, at $120 per year, without the need for migration to another service, I'll probably stick with them on the small business plan, but use that year to figure out an alternative solution.

Their backup software was fantastic. You could back up to a friend's computer... so a few of us on here could have set up a mutual backup service. In their new plan, that capability is gone. It's their cloud or nothing.

On 8/23/2017 at 9:37 PM, joelha said:

If you do that, Chris, please ask them why they throttle their upload speeds unannounced.

Unless I learn something new about their service, I feel I wasted my money.

The throttling took place after about 4TB's were uploaded.

Joel

They were throttled the whole time when I uploaded. Took me a couple months to get to "safe". Even now, if I buy 10 HD albums, it'll be a couple days before they're reported safe.  Honestly, it's about dial up speeds.

Their software also does this "deep analysis" thing, in the service of de-duplication, that can run for four or five days at my 3.5TB data level. During "deep analysis" nothing new gets backed up, and each time you add a significant amount of "new" then "deep analysis" starts over again. Punishing.

On 8/24/2017 at 3:08 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just got off the phone with Code 42 / CrashPlan. The person I spoke with said they absolutely don't throttle anyone's upload/download speed at any time. 

I'm going to contact the more technical team at Code 42 to try to get some answers about speeding up backup and NAS install and Windows shares etc...

I made that call too.  They probably don't run a throttle routine. They just allocate pitifully small bandwidth to each stream. Seriously, 10 new HD Tracks albums, and it's several days before they show all of them now backed up, and that's with six hours each night of activity. They also have this "deep analysis" routine that puts everything on hold for days while it counts down "% completed".  A few times I've seen it restart the entire process several times, effectively locking my backup down until it's done.

Really would be interesting to have a ZFS based "buddy system" for backups.  Each buy a box populated with disks, point to each other's backups, and off you go.  Would probably need to do some matching of buddies by library size.

@ednaz, @The Computer Audiophile Perhaps we can try to ask these companies what is the size of their data pipe, although I doubt they would be forthcoming with the data. Having many clients share a single pipe would result in a marked slowdown in transfer speeds, without resorting to throttling. This would still be frustrating for us with lots of data to back-up.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, agladstone said:

Its odd, they offer a custom plan option, if I select 10TB of total storage and 1TB of daily usage allowed the price is $840 per yr or 85/ mo   

I wonder if this means what they call "unlimited", really has some un-written limits?  Otherwise, why would a custom plan with 1TB upload and download per day and 10TB of total allowed storage cost 8 times more than what they call the "unlimited" plan?? 

Could it be that they have traffic prioritization and those with the custom accounts get bandwidth priority?

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, agladstone said:

I spoke with support and they said that they custom and unlimited plans are essentially the same but the custom plan lets you add more users cheaper where the standard unlimited is $10/month for each additional user over 2.

I was reading over BackBlaze website and they have a new program called BackBlaze Fireball. 

They will send you a server in the mail with 40TB's of drive space, you can copy your data to the server, and then you mail the server back to them and they will copy it over to their servers for you!! Unfortunately, they currently charge $550 for the service, but if they charged say $200 or so, I would do it in a second!! (With my current upload speeds to 12mbps, it will take 6+ months or longer to backup my 16TB's of music I think, so worth a couple hundred for piece of mind and speed!, at $550, I'm not so sure).