IGNORED

Article: Music Storage, New Music, Remote Access, and a Cool Streamer Project

8 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

Unlimited.  So it looks as though this just ends up being a price increase for me - from $5.99 per month to $10 a month.  

That $10/month is per machine as well.  I'm on the family plan which supports up,to 10 machines I believe.

I'd like to setup a buddy-NAS system.  One NAS at my house and the other at a buddy's house that do local backups and mirror each other over our Internet connections.  Of course considering the cost and life expectancy of the hardware, Backblaze starts sounding pretty reasonable.

21 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Is that true?  After "$10 per user per month," it says "Unlimited cloud storage (or 1TB per user if fewer than 5 users)."

Even if they actually still allow "unlimited data" in spite of the comment "or 1 TB per user if fewer than 5 users", there is still the issue of throttling. Reducing your bandwidth would make any back-up a lengthy process.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

On 18-8-2017 at 4:43 PM, foodfiend said:

Report back to us once you get to more than a few TBs of data. From experience, Crashplan then throttles the data transfer rate to an excruciatingly slow pace. I signed for a year, and never got to complete my back-up of my Mac Mini with the attached 8 TB HDD, and so I just gave up.

Even worse. Crashplan themselves gave up.

trying backblaze now...

@John Milton I won't be surprised if the consumer market was never part of their core business strategy in the first place. Just that when they have built a data centre, and it is operating at a barely break-even volume, they might have seen the consumer market as an easy way to soak up excess capacity. Now that they have more corporate clients to fill the data centre, they can shed the consumers.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

Been using CrashPlan for Small Business since yesterday. 

I wanted to install this on my Windows (CAPS Cortes) PC because it's powerful and it sits in a utility room. This PC runs all kinds of power hungry audio apps such as HQPlayer. However, after installing it, I found out that CrashPlan can only backup a mapped drive if it's on Mac or Linux. No windows. My NAS is a synology that I mapped to this Windows PC just for the purpose of backing up, but I'm out of luck there.

I installed the CrashPlan app on my iMac Retina 5K with 4 GHz i7 CPU and 16 GB of RAM. I work on this Mac all day, so this isn't ideal. There are settings for CrashPlan when the computer is active and when it isn't being used. I left it backing up last night (thus the app uses more of the system resources), and when I looked at it this AM, it said I have 5.3 months remaining on the backup. Not very cool, considering I have a 1 Gbps up/down internet connection. 

after working on this Mac today, and the app throttling back because I'm active on the computer, it now says I have 21.9 years left on the backup. Very not cool. 

If CrashPlan is installed on a computer that is used regularly, this backup will never complete. 

Should be talking to them shortly. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 8.43.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 12.56.08 PM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

32 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Been using CrashPlan for Small Business since yesterday. 

I wanted to install this on my Windows (CAPS Cortes) PC because it's powerful and it sits in a utility room. This PC runs all kinds of power hungry audio apps such as HQPlayer. However, after installing it, I found out that CrashPlan can only backup a mapped drive if it's on Mac or Linux. No windows. My NAS is a synology that I mapped to this Windows PC just for the purpose of backing up, but I'm out of luck there.

I installed the CrashPlan app on my iMac Retina 5K with 4 GHz i7 CPU and 16 GB of RAM. I work on this Mac all day, so this isn't ideal. There are settings for CrashPlan when the computer is active and when it isn't being used. I left it backing up last night (thus the app uses more of the system resources), and when I looked at it this AM, it said I have 5.3 months remaining on the backup. Not very cool, considering I have a 1 Gbps up/down internet connection. 

after working on this Mac today, and the app throttling back because I'm active on the computer, it now says I have 21.9 years left on the backup. Very not cool. 

If CrashPlan is installed on a computer that is used regularly, this backup will never complete. 

Should be talking to them shortly. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 8.43.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 12.56.08 PM.png

I backed up network shares from my 2012 R2 box.  When you install you have to install for the current user not all users.  Of course you must also stay logged in as it works as an app instead of a service at that point..  At least that's how it worked for the home version.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

11 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

I backed up network shares from my 2012 R2 box.  When you install you have to install for the current user not all users.  Of course you must also stay logged in as it works as an app instead of a service at that point..  At least that's how it worked for the home version.

Yes, it's possible to do, but it isn't supported. I looked at this process - https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Back_up_files_from_a_Windows_network_drive

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Considering I'm backup up over 7TBs, I can't migrate to Pro I'll have to re-upload everything.  Backblaze doesn't backup network shares with their unlimited and B2 is too expensive.

I'm seriously considering bringing up another NAS and putting it offsite to back up to.  I'm 100% in control at that point.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I just got off the phone with Code 42 / CrashPlan. The person I spoke with said they absolutely don't throttle anyone's upload/download speed at any time. 

I'm going to contact the more technical team at Code 42 to try to get some answers about speeding up backup and NAS install and Windows shares etc...

we need to create a CA "NAS" Buddy program!! 

Wheras (I've been thinking about this concept for a few days now) you "Buddy up" with another CA NAS user and each of you have a backup of your NAS going to the other Buddy's NAS! 

Of course this would require that each of the "Buddies" has the ability to store the backup of the others, so it would probably require that each person had an 8 or 9 bay NAS and was only using 4 bays or so for their own purposes. 

This would work and the "Buddy's" could pay for (ship to the other buddy via amazon, etc) the Hard Drives used for their off-site backup, but really if each person just bought their own extra drives and or extension attachments, it's exactly the same difference anyhow?? 

Any thoughts on this idea?? 

14 minutes ago, agladstone said:

we need to create a CA "NAS" Buddy program!! 

Wheras (I've been thinking about this concept for a few days now) you "Buddy up" with another CA NAS user and each of you have a backup of your NAS going to the other Buddy's NAS! 

Of course this would require that each of the "Buddies" has the ability to store the backup of the others, so it would probably require that each person had an 8 or 9 bay NAS and was only using 4 bays or so for their own purposes. 

This would work and the "Buddy's" could pay for (ship to the other buddy via amazon, etc) the Hard Drives used for their off-site backup, but really if each person just bought their own extra drives and or extension attachments, it's exactly the same difference anyhow?? 

Any thoughts on this idea?? 

For versioning and continual backup of your data to work it would need to be pushed to your buddies NAS from the source NAS using the appropriate backup software.  Sending a loose drive with your data initially won't work.

Any software that would start from a loose drive would also leave the data wide open for you buddy to browse.  Most of us are backing up photos, tax and other important private data to they clouds.  Encrypted of course.

5 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

For versioning and continual backup of your data to work it would need to be pushed to your buddies NAS from the source NAS using the appropriate backup software.  Sending a loose drive with your data initially won't work.

Any software that would start from a loose drive would also leave the data wide open for you buddy to browse.  Most of us are backing up photos, tax and other important private data to they clouds.  Encrypted of course.

Yes of course!! I meant not sending the drives for a first backup, I meant so the "Buddy" would. It need to pay for / buy additional blank Hard Drives for your backup, but while writing that I realized both "buddies" would need to buy extra hard drives equally (unless they already had them with enough free space) , so it does not matter anyhow! 

Also, by no means did I mean nor would I ever backup and personal information or data to the buddies NAS - Music ONLY!! And just via Synology or some other backup software so it's encrypted, etc !! 

44 minutes ago, foodfiend said:

Speaking from my personal perspective, I would just want my music data to be backed up (since it takes the most storage, and is the biggest hassle to rebuild/re-rip). I wouldn't even care about versioning, or images. I would also have no need for that data to be encrypted.

Agreed!! 

So I guess I need to buy the 1817+ and you and I can be the first "CA Buddy team" as a trial :)