IGNORED

Roon Vs jriver

5 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

It comes down to Roon's inability to handle a large number of albums.

Apparently there are Roon users with 70K albums or 500K tracks - and they seem satisfied with Roon's ability to handle large libraries. I suspect you mean that the Android remote of Roon is not up there with the performance of other remotes...

1 minute ago, firedog said:

Okay, but I'm not having that issue.

I'm guessing your album count for any one artist isn't large enough.  I've found the delay starts occurring at around 100+ albums.  One of my artists has 1500 albums.  Essentially, every live show they performed is considered a multi-disc album.

Do the edges of your screen tear in Roon on the Android tablet?

In any case, I've also got a pretty basic 9.7 inch iPad, and it is a better tablet than any Android one I've seen and works great with Roon. is definitely a better experience than Android for Roon. Unless something drastic changes with the next big release, I'd tell people to get an iPad for Roon.

And we won't even mention JRemote for Android tablets; when I asked JRiver why it was so basic and lacking, and not really suitable for tablet use, they basically told me (my paraphrase): "it's designed for phones, we don't care if it looks crummy and doesn't scale properly for your tablet.  We aren't planning on doing anything about it"

I don't do Apple.  I had for years in the past but prefer Android.  To buy an iPad for Roon and re-purchase any apps I would want to use on that tablet from Apple is a bit ridiculous.

It comes down to these companies dedicating resources to develop the apps.  Roon elected to prioritize app development for Apple.  I'm sure they have their reasons.  It's probably easier as Android has more flavors.  Maybe they all use Apple themselves and it was a personal choice.  They also prioritized Airplay and offer no support for Google Chromecast or Home.  It doesn't make good marketing sense considering Android has about 75% of the global market but smaller companies have limited resources.

14 minutes ago, gcoupe said:

Apparently there are Roon users with 70K albums or 500K tracks - and they seem satisfied with Roon's ability to handle large libraries. I suspect you mean that the Android remote of Roon is not up there with the performance of other remotes...

It's the Android side of things.  The control.  Roon Core has no problem with large numbers of artists, albums or tracks.

9 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I'm guessing your album count for any one artist isn't large enough.  I've found the delay starts occurring at around 100+ albums.  One of my artists has 1500 albums.  Essentially, every live show they performed is considered a multi-disc album.

Do the edges of your screen tear in Roon on the Android tablet?

I don't have an artist with 1000 albums. But I just brought up a view with over 2000 albums, and it doesn't have the issues you mentioned. Works fine. Scrolling has some split second delays, but nothing worse. I don't know what you mean by screen tear, so I guess I don't have it. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I don't have an artist with 1000 albums. But I just brought up a view with over 2000 albums, and it doesn't have the issues you mentioned. Works fine. Scrolling has some split second delays, but nothing worse. I don't know what you mean by screen tear, so I guess I don't have it. 

Perhaps it's specific to Artist.  I will try and bring up a view with a large number of albums comprised of multiple artists and see if it's the same behavior.

An edge screen tear looks like a thin line of different colored pixels at the edge of the screen.  It can also flicker.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:31 AM, firedog said:

Yep. They were jerks here in their sponsored forum, also.

If you're taking a swing at JRiver, it was probably also me that you recall.  

Two things:

I would never call you a jerk.

We've never had a sponsored board here.  We do have an ad that has run for a long time.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

5 minutes ago, firedog said:

Sorry about calling your threads a sponsored forum.

Don’t know who you are, since you don’t use your name. I also don’t know if either at your threads here or at your own support forum who the person is posting for JRiver the company and if it is always the same person. 

What I do know, is that your company’s posts are regularly rude and dismissive to customers. Since “jerk” means being obnoxious or treating other people badly (that’s from Merriam Webster); in my world, that’s being a jerk. Especially when coming from someone who is a service industry and seems to think his slogan should be “the customer is always wrong” instead of the opposite. 

If you read through this thread, you’d see that several other customers of yours made similar comments to mine about your forum persona. There are also similar comments about your forum persona at other forums where your customers are free to post their opinions, unlike the situation at your own forum. 

Obviously, you have an axe to grind, based on what exactly I do  not know.  JRiver is not perfect by any means, but I have used it happily for years.  I check their forums daily, I contribute some help to other users where I can, and I do not find any issues of which you speak.

But, if ticked off at them, fortunately there are other choices.  None of them would be nearly as capable of meeting my own specific needs.

9 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

Obviously, you have an axe to grind, based on what exactly I do  not know.  JRiver is not perfect by any means, but I have used it happily for years.  I check their forums daily, I contribute some help to other users where I can, and I do not find any issues of which you speak.

But, if ticked off at them, fortunately there are other choices.  None of them would be nearly as capable of meeting my own specific needs.

No “axe to grind”. I was a customer of theirs until I decided I prefer Roon. I think their product is good; it just doesn’t fit my needs as well as Roon. For others the opposite is true and I have zero problem with that. Where did you read that I said the product isn’t good?

As far as my comments about the Jriver  forum persona being objectionable, I’m clearly not a minority of one, whether you see it or not. As noted, read back through this thread and see several other posters who also made negative comments about the JRiver online persona. Many similar comments have also been posted at other audio forums. 

I have my opinion, just as you do. Doesn’t mean I have an “axe to grind” any more than you do. Do you think I shouldn’t post my opinion just because it is negative? 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

4 minutes ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

+1

I use JRiver because it meets my needs better than anything else I've found.

How the company responds on forums doesn't have an impact on my use of the product.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

20 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

How the company responds on forums doesn't have an impact on my use of the product.

I feel just the opposite. How a company treats their customers is important to me and is a consideration in deciding if I want to spend money on their products. Based on my own experience, this is one of the primary reasons I will not be purchasing JRiver products in the future. 

The main thing Jriver has going for it over ROON is

DLNA support and being able to browse your music by your own file structure.

More and more people will start playing music by network, and would like their choice of hardware that don't support RAAT.

Roon's meta data may be nice to some, but nothing you can't find without google....I prefer more control

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:09 AM, jriver said:

I'm Jim Hillegass, CEO of JRiver.

I don't believe I've insulted anyone here.  If so, please point it out.  

If you have been insulted, I apologize.

Maybe you just don't like what I say.  I have said things that were unpopular with some very vocal members.  I do believe a bit is a bit. 

I do believe a lot of computer tweaking is ill-advised.  That doesn't mean that computers are completely innocent.  They can do some silly things.  But so can users who don't know what they're doing.

I don't post here much anymore because I believe this forum has become unfriendly to friendly discussion.  But that seems to be the way the world is going these days.

Hi Jim,

Good to see you on other forums. I am a jriver fan and I also frequent the jriver forum. I think your 'a bit is a bit' attitude is what some people see as 'insults'. There are people who are fanatic believers in computer tweaking like fans of jplay etc. Your steadfast refusal to entertain jriver work with  other tweaking gadgets is what I think many people see as draconian. BTW, I am not a fan of jplay, trialled Roon and didn't like it either.

tried jriver many many times NEVER felt comfortable with it or really understood it. asked many questions on their forums almost never got a decent answer without some sort of implication that i was dumb or didn't know what i was talking about and i was repeatedly insulted and made to feel stupid by that CEO of JRiver Hillegass(what does call himself the Guardian of the Known Universe or somesuch)

ROON made me and my 800 cd's and 20000 songs feel immediately comfortable plus it's interface  with TIDAL/MASTERS and its remote were great not to mention the SQ. Plus unlike JRiver when a question is needed ROON answers without making fun of me and REALLY helping unlike nonhelp from Hillegass etal emphasis on... oh well never mind

Speaking of differences between them, the upsampling filter choice is one of the things that Roon apparently has in its favor.

Roon

https://kb.roonlabs.com/DSP_Engine:_Sample_Rate_Conversion

JRiver

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113602.0.html

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

3 hours ago, Matias said:

Speaking of differences between them, the upsampling filter choice is one of the things that Roon apparently has in its favor.

Roon

https://kb.roonlabs.com/DSP_Engine:_Sample_Rate_Conversion

JRiver

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,113602.0.html

Not really if your DAC does a much better job at it, like Chord.  Could even be a disadvantage if your taxing your server more.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

@jriver thanks but i could care less don’t/didn’t like your attitude or your ‘player’ and have eliminated jriver from my universe altogether a long time ago -your comments were always snide condescending referring me to forums that were in my mind useless and never easily answered my questions or solved the problem i had and every time i turned around you wanted more money for what to me was a very confusing ‘player’/‘server’ best of luck controlling your universe