IGNORED

Using the ISO Regen with Phasure LUSH USB Cable

On the "USB audio cracked" thread , at least a few folks including myself have mentioned that they are using the ISO Regen in various configurations in conjunction with the Phasure LUSH USB cable.  Figured it may be helpful to some of us to have a place to share/compare info and experiences. 

There are a number of ways he cable can be incorporated into a given system. Then, with the differences in ancillary equipment in various systems there are many more possibilities that present themselves. 

I am about a week into my experience with the LUSH and have tried a a number of variations. Every audio system is nearly unique and while what works in one may not be best in another. However, we may be able to pin down some general pointers in how to best use this combination. 

I expect to post what I've done and impressions later today.  

Please share what you are up to and your impressions, findings. 

Doak

I'm still burning in my Lush cable, but I am currently operating on the principle that assuming it sounds better, it needs to be the last USB cable in the chain before the DAC, or a DDC like a Singxer or Mutec, if that's what you're using.

Specifically wrt to the ISO-R, to honor the OP's intent, I am assuming the Lush should go from the output of the ISO-R to the next component? Or are you guys finding that it is better to put it before the ISO-R? That would be truly puzzling to me.

40 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I'm still burning in my Lush cable, but I am currently operating on the principle that assuming it sounds better, it needs to be the last USB cable in the chain before the DAC, or a DDC like a Singxer or Mutec, if that's what you're using.

Specifically wrt to the ISO-R, to honor the OP's intent, I am assuming the Lush should go from the output of the ISO-R to the next component? Or are you guys finding that it is better to put it before the ISO-R? That would be truly puzzling to me.

Rajiv, I have the Lush between the ISO Regen and DAC replacing one of the two USPCBs previously in use here. I have tested the Lush alone, and Lush then ISO Regen. This is with the ifi microIDSD black label DAC. Like you, I find the Regen to Lush order most intuitive and I started, and ended there after proving this best through listening.

It will be curious to hear where you end up.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Michaeltay5871 reported the opposite, that he likes the Lush before the IR.  Me, I have only tried it after (as I said in another thread, the USB cable should be last IMO) and love it so far.  I guess I will try it before the IR, but that flies in the face of what I would thnk (not the first time, though  :)  )

32 minutes ago, austinpop said:

For me there was a significant improvement in having the ISO REGEN before the Lush.  I've tried my system with both of these setups / signal paths:

1. ultraRendu -> USPCB Adapter -> IR -> Lush -> Brooklyn DAC
  2. ultraRendu -> Lush -> ISO REGEN -> USPCB Adapter -> Brooklyn DAC

While #2 sounded great, it wasn't until I tried #1 that I felt like I truly understood the improvements the Lush cable adds to my system.  With setup #1 the ISO REGEN continues to provide galvanic isolation and improvement to the sound.  The Lush, however, defeats the regeneration of the USB signal.  

53 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I have tried the Lush both before and after my ISO Regen while using the USBPC as the second connector.  

Contrary to what "should be",  I have a distinct preference for the sound with the Lush BEFORE the ISO Regen. 

I will also add that with the configuration, I prefer the setup with my DIY shorty connector. It adds another "dollop of lush" that appeals to me, while the USBPC puts things in sharper focus - two different flavors either of which may be chosen according to personal preference. 

BTW: My Lampizator DAC leans at least a bit toward the lush sound a;ready and this may prove a factor in my preference in configuration using the LUSH USB cable. 

4 minutes ago, Doak said:

I have tried the Lush both before and after my ISO Regen while using the USBPC as the second connector.  

Contrary to what "should be",  I have a distinct preference for the sound with the Lush BEFORE the ISO Regen. 

I will also add that with the configuration, I prefer the setup with my DIY shorty connector. It adds another "dollop of lush" that appeals to me, while the USBPC puts things in sharper focus - two different flavors either of which may be chosen according to personal preference. 

Funny, I have a feeling the ideal position for the Lush will be a "taste" thing.

So guys is there a general concensus that the lush cable is better than the USPCB? I am mainly interested in the lush cable because of the flexibility that it offers with its length. Now I am constrained with very short usb cables and I found the USPCB better than my Curious and Elijah USB cables.

5 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Yes better then the USPCB, which was better than any cable I used before.

My PC is now in a more natural physical position in relation to the DAC.

I am finally satisfied with the music produced by my system.

Thanks for the reply, waw this is amazing! Where is my credit card? :) 

Just now, soupdujour said:

Perhaps I phrased that a bit incorrectly.  By having the Lush as the last pathway between the ultraRendu and the DAC, my understanding is the Lush is able to "influence" the USB signal.  

Yes indeed. Over here the ISO Regen seems to increase the density of the image, and then the Lush makes it more musical, adding PRAT(Pace, Rythym and Timing), depth and harmonics galore.

OK,, here's another "observation" on using this combo IMOS (In My Own System):

The Lampizator has separate "engines" for PCM and DSD. 

What I am hearing is considerably more and better effect of/with the Lush on PCM playback. 

I've always had a preference for DSD with this DAC and now that preference has diminished to next to nothing. 

This really does make some sense since DSD playback has been considerably more "analog" like than PCM.

The slight edginess coupled with a certain thinness when in PCM mode is basically gone -- a very good thing indeed.

Will take more listening w/wo LUSH via DSD to say more about that situation. Generally though, when I pull it out of the system it doesn't take long for me to get it back into the system. 

Any observations/comments on differences of LUSH in IYOS (In Your Own System) with PCM vs DSD?? 

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

Rajiv, I have the Lush between the ISO Regen and DAC replacing one of the two USPCBs previously in use here. I have tested the Lush alone, and Lush then ISO Regen. This is with the ifi microIDSD black label DAC. Like you, I find the Regen to Lush order most intuitive and I started, and ended there after proving this best through listening.

It will be curious to hear where you end up.

Yes, I'm sure you're Curious. I will let you know with Lightspeed as soon as I can. 

It is too close for me to decide which configuration is ideal, but there maybe 2 possibilities at play from the original Lush thread:

1. If the DAC relies on on VBUS power it is a MUST to have Lush connected to it (i.e. Iso Regen BEFORE).

2. If not, then either having the the LUSH 'power' the Iso Regen (Sillana) chip will be beneficial, although the Regenerative signal impacts the Lush functions.

I had an initial bias towards having the IR at the DAC side, since that is where the majority of NOS1 G3 owners have the Lush powering the Phisolator. So I have a sneaky suspicion we will be tempted to 'upgrading' the IR towards Peter's take on the Iso Regen. :o

7 hours ago, k-man said:

It is too close for me to decide which configuration is ideal, but there maybe 2 possibilities at play from the original Lush thread:

1. If the DAC relies on on VBUS power it is a MUST to have Lush connected to it (i.e. Iso Regen BEFORE).

2. If not, then either having the the LUSH 'power' the Iso Regen (Sillana) chip will be beneficial, although the Regenerative signal impacts the Lush functions.

I had an initial bias towards having the IR at the DAC side, since that is where the majority of NOS1 G3 owners have the Lush powering the Phisolator. So I have a sneaky suspicion we will be tempted to 'upgrading' the IR towards Peter's take on the Iso Regen. :o

On the Lush thread @PeterSt first recommended to place the IR before the Lush, then where you want...  But in his NOS1 DAC his Sillana is after the Lush.

@Superdad recommends to place his ISO Regen after de Lush, in the DAC port.

I would be interesting if both gentlemen could explain why :confused:

Anyway, at the end each one of us will place the IR where they like better :)

Roch

11 hours ago, elcorso said:

I'm still digesting the Iso Regen (arrived today)...

The same time with the Lush as @Doak, a week or so.

First impressions:

On exaSound e32, don't need the IR, Lush alone improved a lot the SQ.

But, on the Lampi B7 the IR is a must, much better than the previous Intona Pro.  The Lush is also a must with the B7.  On this DAC the IR normalized the extra bass I had with Intona and also refined the upper frequencies.

For the moment I like better:  PC -> IR -> Lush -> DAC,  I found the SQ more refined, like DSD vs PCM.

If: PC -> Lush -> IR -> DAC I got a little more dynamics and dynamic contrast, but...

I still don't know which would be my final choice because I need some burn in (maybe 100 hours)  on the Iso Regen. Next Monday I will report again.

Roch

Roch, do you have  the superclocks on your B7?