Sigh! So long to the product that single-handedly revived interest in personal audio; and caused the earphone market to see its greatest growth in recent memory.

I now realize that it is just the nano and shuffle that have been shelved. The Touch lives on...

Long live the iPod Touch!

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions...

It's 2017 and I use an iPod Classic 6g every single day in my car, as well as synching it with JRiver once in a while. Will continue using it until it breaks one day.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

My Nano isn't supported by my new car and has been relegated to ??.

Fortunately the car can read the files on my old iPhone 3, so the music continues.

I use <Radio Lover> to record my favourite stations, transfer to the iPhone, and into the car. I really love having no commercials and continually changing background music.

Greg

It wasn't just for music. Audio books have been a reason for the sale of both the nano and the shuffle. Audible dot com has been getting a free ride on ipods for years.

I've used a shuffle for over 5 years for audio books. 

I listen to my music on a hirez Fiio X5.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I can't see point to have 2 similar devices in the pocket (iPhone and iPod).

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

1 hour ago, audiventory said:

Not similar at all. One needs a network to operate and the other is completely independent of network coverage.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

An ipod mini was the first portable digital music player I had. A few years back I'd thought about upgrading the storage in it but decided not to. The display always make my eyes hurt. Plus the interface on the iPhone is much more useful. That said, they were fun devices. Just to bad they didn't exist when I was a teenager toting around a discman and a big wallet of CD's. :)

I really loved my iPod nano, mainly because of its size, and yet have a screen (unlike the shuffle). My favourite was the 6th generation nano, with its squarish design. Lovely when paired with those "watch-straps" designed by many third party suppliers. I still have 2 of them!

On 7/28/2017 at 10:27 PM, rodrigaj said:

Not similar at all. One needs a network to operate and the other is completely independent of network coverage.

What keeps you from preloading music onto the iPhone? The one with the largest storage capacity now has about 50x the storage space of the original iPod.

5 hours ago, Bystander said:

What keeps you from preloading music onto the iPhone? The one with the largest storage capacity now has about 50x the storage space of the original iPod.

That's true. I am so behind the times it is not even funny. I guess the real question is why has the iPod lasted this long?

3 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

I guess the real question is why has the iPod lasted this long?

There are situations whereby one either has to live without the utility of a mobile phone (no cell coverage in remote areas) and yet want to listen to music. In such a circumstance (living in such a place), there would be little reason to pay more for an iPhone, when you have no use for the added functionality.

Also, I know of certain schools that do not allow their students to carry mobile phones. So, an iPod would be a saviour in such places, to at least, provide some music. :)

On 7/28/2017 at 11:54 AM, audiventory said:

I agree with this. I don't own and don't want a cell phone. I do have a hi-res portable digital player that I take with me sometimes when leaving the house. Thus I carry either zero devices or 1 device. I have a corded landline telephone and a digital answering machine for when I'm not home.

15 hours ago, foodfiend said:

There are situations whereby one either has to live without the utility of a mobile phone (no cell coverage in remote areas) and yet want to listen to music. In such a circumstance (living in such a place), there would be little reason to pay more for an iPhone, when you have no use for the added functionality.

Also, I know of certain schools that do not allow their students to carry mobile phones. So, an iPod would be a saviour in such places, to at least, provide some music. :)

There are also people who don't want to own a cell phone. As I understand it there are 10% of Americans who don't own a cell phone and have landline service only. I am still shocked that 90% of Americans own a cell phone. :confused:

Here are pictures of my $6 Vtech corded telephone and my Shiku P3000 High Resolution Audio Player, it plays DSD128/64; AIFF: 32Bit,192KHz(Max); WAV/APE/FLAC: 24Bit,192KHz(Max). They have 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models. Since I'm a cheapskate I bought the 16GB model for $56.99. The 64GB model is $40 more, However, I don't mind loading different high-res music each time I recharge it. 

vtech.jpg

SL1200.jpg

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

4 minutes ago, Teresa said:

There are also people who don't want to own a cell phone. As I understand it there are 10% of Americans who don't own a cell phone and have landline service only. I am still shocked that 90% of Americans own a cell phone. :confused:

Myself, I resisted owning a mobile phone until a group friends were so frustrated at not being able to contact me, gave me one. Later on, I had one "forced on" me by my company, who paid for the phone and contract. Through the years, most people switched to contacting me through my mobile, even though I kept my landline. This continued until all the calls I got on my landline were from unsolicited telemarketers. Call audio quality got from bad to worse, so I decided to end my landline subscription, even though it was very cheap at that time. ;)

I have a generation 2 Nano that did (and actually still does) provide good service but it is no longer supported in my current vehicle, so it's basically retired now.

That said, each time I upgraded my iPhone (3 to 4 to SE) I got a free iPod by transferring my phone service to the new phone. (I'm still on a $10 a month plan!)

Greg

Nostalgia aside, I wonder how long iTunes will sync with iPod?

I bought a Classic when its deletion was announced also have a couple on Nanos which I use running and on long flights.

if that facility is removed, is thereban alternative to sync music and stuff on my osx mac?