1 hour ago, cfisher said:

I have had an Eitr for a few days and it is great. I ran my microrendu into it and compared that to my ultrarendu and I have to say the differences were negligible. The only problem I have encountered is that while the Eitr works great with a micro/ultra-rendu feeding it, direct connection using "exclusive mode" in Roon is not currently working. It would be an amazing product at many multiples of its $179 price. I want to see what happens when I power it with an LPS-1.  

You can't power the Eitr with an LPS-1. It takes 6VAC.

1 hour ago, Charente said:

Yes, I have thought about that. It's the insured shipping cost from France>UK to get that done is a consideration for me ... could easily be another €100 couriered. That, coupled with the fact that I heard such an improvement (to my ears) thru GMB's S/PDIF input (over its USB) is keeping me on that path. I've not really heard a consensus that Gen 5 USB is better now than S/PDIF ... Perhaps there is no difference.... I'm not sure.

If you more on SBAF, you will see that it is said that using Eitr to the S/PDIF input of Gumby is the same as going USB to Gumby with Gen 5 USB. The Gen 5 USB card for the DAC is the same implementation is Eitr. It just out the middle man and gets rid of another box and cable.

2 hours ago, Lesailes said:

@dave, have you ever compared between eitr and singxer F1 or mutec. I've intention to upgrade from F1 to eitr, so this is really a valuable information for me and others also. Thanks Dave.

I am not @dave.....but I have an opinion..

I have been listening (on a near filed setup that I am quite familiar with) back and forth between Singxer F-1/Yggdrasil and Eitr/Yggdrasil combo. There are five test songs that I used on my nearfield setup to compare tubes in both my headphone amp and my preamp. I know very well how these songs sound on different setups. These songs are:

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

Susie Q - CCR

Roundabout - Yes

The Pink Panther Theme - Henry Mancini (1993)

Come Together - Beatles

The Eitr is better than the F-1. With Eitr, the background is quieter. Instrument and voice separation are more distinct. The overall sound stage is better. The timbre of voices and instruments have more resolution, more detail. Bass is much more visceral but with improved clarity. Instead of being just a deep thud or single noise, you can pick out the vibration of the drum or strings. This is not all that surprising considering Eitr offers full galvanic isolation.

It's been a while since I listened to the LPS-1 powered ISO Regen/USPCB/Singxer F-1 combination. But, based on the improvements I remember that combo had over an F-1 by itself, I would say the Eitr is every bit as good as the LPS-1 powered ISO Regen/USPCB/Singxer F-1 combination. I do recall the soundstage improvements being better with the LPS-1 powered ISO Regen/USPCB/Singxer F-1 combination. I remember there being more laser-like focus on sound locations within the soundstage. But, I believe the bass performance of the Eitr is a bit better actually. There is the same clarity and detail with the bass but with more fullness and depth.

The Eitr is not quite as good in one area and is marginally better in another. Neither difference is what I would call significant. Both setups offer incredible soundstage and bass performance improvements over the Singxer F-12 alone.

When you consider the cost of each solution the Eitr is a steal!

The Eitr works wonders with my Mimby too!

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

My new Eitr arrives tomorrow - looking forward to it as you can imagine, considering all the positive reviews.  

I have a spare IFI low noise power supply 9V 2.0 amps.  Can someone tell me if this would be  safe or unsafe to try with the Eitr? (it's supplied with a 9VA 6VAC wall-wart). I obviously would hate to damage anything.

I'll let you all know how it sounds between my MBP and Hegel HD25 DAC.

The iFi iPower provides DC, not AC......the Eitr has a linear power supply built in.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, feelingears said:

So as someone has already suggested, if you're buying Schiit DACs then wait for Gen 5 USB. Others, well, buyer beware as I've thought the Holo would have decent USB. But I'm posting here only because the discussion is about Eitr and thus the external USB to S/PDIF conversion Alex feels is a "major compromise." The fact that for many DACs these USB decrapifiers work is I suppose, telling of both USB input board quality AND USB's inherent audio quality. That said I am reading about at least two people who have gone back to straight USB after AoIP. This appeals to my KISS approach and the fact it means fewer boxes/power supplies/cables (which may equal less money as well). And I'm talking Redbook files mainly, not hi-res files. 

All Schiit DACs from Bifrost on up have been shipping with Gen 5 USB only since USB Gen 5 and Eitr were announced.

Most DACs don't have "decent" USB so often a DDC that allows you to bypass the DAC's USB port and go in through S/PDIF, AES3, or I2S can be an improvement. No matter what I tried with my Yggdrasil DAC, using a Singxer F-1 to feed the Yggdrasil's S/PDIF RCA port was better than using USB. Eitr worked better than the Singxer F-1 in my testing. Heck, Eitr, by itself, worked as well as the ISO Regen/LPS-1/Singxer F-1 combination.

• 3 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Charente said:

I had thought that a DC Blocker was simply a solution for fixing hum issues, but your suggestion that it also provides SQ benefits is of interest. What might we expect in terms of sound by adding this component ?

A DC Blocker is only going to affect SQ if your isolation transformer is saturated by DC offset.

2 minutes ago, Charente said:

@Speed Racer Presumably ... to be clear in my (non EE) mind ... if it is saturated by DC offset then that manifests itself as audible hum ... which I don't experience.

I've never had enough DC offset on the AC line to saturate my Topaz so I don't know what it would sound like in regards to transformer noise. The Topaz can't pass DC offset so the only SQ issues would be loss of power, leakage flux, flux distortion, and associated secondary voltage harmonics.

Funny, I found that an Eitr in my setup replaced the ISO Regen/LPS1/Singer F-1 combo with no loss of sound quality. That’s an over $800 solution replaced by a $179 solution. Of course I do have an isolation transformer with balanced power in place and no SMPS bricks plug into the power strip plugged into the transformer. 

48 minutes ago, Abtr said:

The Singxer F-1 is a USB to S/PDIF converter. Did you try Iso Regen connected directly to a DAC's USB input?

Yes. The ISO Regen/LPS-1/USPCB/Singxer F-1 combo going to the SPDIF RCA coax of Yggdrasil sounded better (cleaner and better soundstage) than the ISO Regen/LPS-1/USPCB combo to the USB port. 

22 minutes ago, Charente said:

I'm not sure what it is about the iFi that creates this negative effect on the sound... I had previously heard this was a quality PS. Clearly, it is indeed the 'bad boy' in my set-up.

The iFi iPower puts out nice quiet DC power...but the SMPS puts a lot of noise back into the AC mains. Depending on the ground situation, you might want the iPower plugged into the same power strip as everything else. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it in another outlet. The LPS -1 puts out clean power regardless. The Eitr gets power for its LPS from it's SMPS, so having it plugged into the power strip plugged into the BPS make sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Lebouwsky said:

Did you notice an improvement when adding a lps1/iso regen or the singxer to the eitr?

In my system the eitr made a huge step forward too. Adding the regen made it a bit better, more air and sparkle.  Thinking about upgrading the regen to the iso regen/lps1

There is no way I am going to get into the decrapifier for the decrapifier game. It's not worth the cost or complexity.