IGNORED

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: MQA HW decoding at reasonable cost

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll actually be curious to a/b MQA and NON dsd high rez between the Bluesound Node2 and the Pro-Ject Dac. The Bluesound barely sounds better than my Peachtree Nova-pre (regualr hi rez). I find it interesting that the above reviewer heard no major sonic difference between the Benchmark and the Pro-ject.

I just plugged mine in ( no usb) as a dac. Vlume set a 0db. So far so good. The correct resolution values come up for roon, tidal and Qobuz. I have not changed any filters yet. Set up as “pro-ject best”.  I did enable distortion compensation. Sounds just a tad smoother imo. To be honest, with no break in, i think the bluesound node internal dac very slightly edges it out. The clicking has to get solved. I’ll keep it since i need a dac for my Apple Tv as well. Plus, my next pre will have multiple analog inputs. I can run both digital and analog outs of the blusound

Looking thru the Pinkfish thread, i say the firmware update is weeks away. Westlake stepped back a bit toward the end ( we have lots of work, etc). I think its great he is paying attention. Plus, Westlake stated a “ fixed” volume option in menu is in the works. 

18 minutes ago, left channel said:

Audio Quality has two options, "Test" and "Best". The manual says Test "gives the best value when tested on measuring device (lowest distortion etc)", while Best is "the designers'  preferred sound setting". If you change any other setting, Audio Quality becomes "User".

"Best" sets Distortion Compensation to disabled and the filter to Optimal Transient. "Test" sets Distortion Compensation to enabled and the filter to Brickwall.  Adjust distortion compensation or filters yourself, and Audio Quality will display "User".

John Westlake's MDAC designs contain a similar set of filters, but with more than one than one type of Optimal Transient. On other forums most users prefer one of the Optimal Transient filters, so I guess for now I'll leave it there for now. I may play with Distortion Compensation some though.

This thing has so many options it distracts from any attempt at a quick test and comparison — though I mean that in a good way.

I have to agree. To be honest, I prefer lest setting options (filters, etc). I always start thinking "what if I tried this filter with that track, etc). I'd rather just plug and play. This evening, I'm removing the Peachtree out of the system and just using the Pro-Ject as a pre. I'll be curious to how it sounds for such a small footprint

I hooked the Pro-Ject up as a preamp and removed my Peachtree Nova Pre. I'm living without my Oppo player due to lack of inputs. Anyway, I have the Bluesound Node 2 into the Coax and Apple TV into the Toslink. As a preamp, there seems to be a little wider soundstage over the peachtree. I would say the S2 is just a smidge on the bright side compared to the Peachtree (or the peachtree is on the warm side of neutral). I did feel I was getting very slight ear fatigue, however, that happens sometimes if I'm not rested. I switch the filter to slow rolloff and the fatigue seemed to vanish. I am quite sensitive to high frequencies. I can always tell if a TV is on in the house (no sound or picture) and have a hard time listening to music thru phone or computer speakers.

Of course the unit has only played a couple of hours, so things may change a bit. Out of the box, I could say I am quite happy and could live with it as a Preamp if the inputs were there. Even if I purchase a higher end dac in the future ($2000 +) I would still keep this one ion my system. 

I am very pleased with this dac more and more. I would say this is the DAC bargain of the year. Plus, the pre amp section, driving m Nuforce STA200 and zu omen def speakers sounds fantastic. Plus, my zus are 101db efficient, its quiet as a mouse. I’ll be curious when the dac hits the US, how many comparisons ( brooklyn, schiit, etc) we will see. MQA will be the big selling point on this one. 

Thats good to hear. Hopefully, it will pass and get posted soon. The S2 really is a nice component. I’d be surprised if TAS or SP does a review. It will be interesting when someone compares the S2 MQA sound quality to a Mytek mqa Dac. I believe John mentioned a “fixed” volume option in the menu as well. I believe most would use the S2 as a dac instead of a preamp

2 hours ago, MagnusH said:

Sure, when it plays MQA it shows the symbol and the sample rate of the fully unfolded music. Remember to remove all DSP though before the DAC, or the MQA information is lost (this includes volume leveling). This has nothing to do with the S2 DAC though, just the way MQA works, it needs data to be bit-perfect.

What other dsp?  I turned off tone controls in bluesound app, set for external MQA in bluesound app. I’m on fixed volume in bluesound. Is there something I’m missing?