IGNORED

Apple iPad

I'm envisioning a new version of Apple's Remote app, or something like it, that will use the entire iPad screen and, most importantly, provide a lot more information than you can currently see on the small screen devices. Such as the full song title, for starters. But then imagine showing album art, song credits, performer and producer credits, liner notes, etc etc. I'm sold right there, though I don't know for sure that we'll see that functionality anytime soon. On top of that, then add the ability to do real Web browsing, comfortably and effectively, while I listen to my stereo. Oh, and email. And maybe write notes for myself. Or do some sketching. Or play games. This is a damned appealing product to me, but I am an Apple fanboy.

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

I'd rather see iPhone apps to control individual applications on the Mini, e.g., Safari, Amarra, Pandora, AirFoil, etc. Those would be killer apps. Tried Mocha Lite & gave up on VNC, too cumbersome & flakey. If there's a good VNC app for the iPad, then it could be a slightly more convenient laptop. Otherwise, it's just an iPhone that won't fit in my pocket.

rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

Running an app like Air Mouse Pro with the iPad could be very interesting too. It could be like a wireless Wacom tablet for navigating iTunes…

Cheers,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

• 1 month later...

This thread seems so more focussed than the other iPad one ! Those with an interest in the capabilities would be interested in the feature in the current issue of Wired about the rise of tablet computers as a new interface paradigm.... I really do believe the iPad will be a game-changer in ways none of us can really predict at this point

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

it was in the print copy I read at Borders yesterday, the most recent edition. My subscription print copy hasnt arrived yet and I had to restrain myself from buying it, knowing it will arrive soon. The article is based around the iPad but is about tablet computers in general, with some musing why the concept didnt really take off with HP and other products.

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

• 2 weeks later...

The device is completely underwhelming. It is essentially a large iPod touch with a bigger screen. This item falls somewhere between a smart phone and a netbook, and I can't see a single reason to buy the iPad over either. My netbook was half the price of the base model iPad, has the same sized screen, a faster processor, 160gb of storage, 2gb of ram, a full keyboard, great battery life, a real OS(you know, one that can do multiple things at a time), a web cam, removable battery, flash support, etc etc.