IGNORED

Apple iPad

Here are some of the fast facts relating to Apple’s tablet, now officially known as the iPad...

9.7" IPS multi-touch display

1GHz Apple A4 processor

16GB, 32GB and 64GB internal flash memory options

10 hour battery life (with 1 month standby time)

Built-in accelerometer and compass (switches cover flow and art when rotated)

Speaker, microphone and 30-pin connector

0.5" thin

1.5 lbs.

Bluetooth 2.1 EDR wireless technology

Wi-Fi 802.11n connectivity

Pricing is still a big question mark.

Other than a large remote with screen sharing, I’m not sure how this device will add value to my music system. Still watching the unveiling…

Cheers,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

Here's a link to design info, tech specs and pricing at Apple...

http://www.apple.com/ipad/design/

Best regards,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

Not that it wouldn't be handy, but I would never see something like this having any sort of optical out. Having said that, I feel like the best sound out of this would come via the dock connection anyhow (ideally dock to usb, I can't imagine one of these sticking out the top of my dock). Just like the certified docks out now (wadia, etc) it would just function as a storage /control device.

I am super-psyched about the use of this as a remote though. Crestron and AMX in my opinion have always had the worst, most overpriced hardware and I'd love to see these things just overrun the custom installer world.

PS Audio Quintet > Powerbook (iphone with apple remote app) > HRT Streamer II > Kingrex Pre-amp > Kingrex QS-01 > Devore Fidelity Gibbon 7.1\'s

What's the point of it cannot fit in your pocket? Is it suppose to be a large portable device or a small desk top device? While portable it is, what it got that the iPhone can't get you until you get to you desk top?

I don't get it. But it's cool. Maybe that's all it is, is cool.

[Outlet > Crystal Cable Reference Power Cords > Audio Magic Mini Stealth >] MacBook \"White\" (Sitting on Symposium Svelte Shelf and 3 Decouplers) > iTunes/Apple Lossless/iTouch Remote > Kimber Cable USB > Bel Canto 24/96 USB Converter > Cary 306 Pro SACD/CD/DAC > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC >Pass Labs X1 > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC > Bryston 28B SST Mono Blocks > Transparent MM Ultra Speaker Cables > Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations> My Ears.....ahhhhhhh

(like my iPod touch is today) and also big enough to do remote management (worst case VNC displaykeyboard) of my Macbook music server which I'll now leave in closed clamshell mode (headless Macbook?) and sitting in my front soundstage rack 10-12 feet away. The fact that it is large enough to also be my surfing pad and email device while sitting and listening to my system are just big plusses. :)

The iPad will also be my travel computer. It seems to be a beautiful device for giving talks using Keynote -- and for reading books, as well as for email and surfing.

Please excuse my relative computer ignorance, but is a dock connector to USB cable workable, and if so could such a connection be used to connect to a portable USB dac/ headphone amp like the Proton?

Yes there's at least two iPhone VNC apps - Mocha and Jaadu (my preference is for Jaadu, it's expensive as apps go, but it is very good).

Couple of things worth keeping in mind though:

1. At the moment the iPhone apps that run on iPad either sit dead centre screen with a big black border, or they get scaled up by just doubling the pixels. Probably ok for games, but it's going to look a bit blocky for anything where you'd want to enjoy the higher resolution.

2. VNC does add a fair bit to the processor workload on the computer being controlled. I think somewhat dependent on screen activity, so video or visualiser or coverflow browsing would be particularly taxing. To what extent would that affect sound quality? I'm not saying for certain that it would, but if you're running a very carefully optimised system you'd consider it a possibility at least. For example, Sonic don't recommend running VNC.

Much as I love everything Apple, I'm also stuck with the idea that this is just a really big iPhone, and I snigger when I think of someone holding it up to their ear. Also, I can't help thinking that it would be improved by having a hinged fold out stand... Which could double as a screen protector when closed... Which might then allow you to have a proper keyboard integrated into the hinged section instead of wasting screen space... You get the idea.

the tin of soup spoke and the words which came forth were... "Much as I love everything Apple, I'm also stuck with the idea that this is just a really big iPhone, and I snigger when I think of someone holding it up to their ear. Also, I can't help thinking that it would be improved by having a hinged fold out stand... Which could double as a screen protector when closed... Which might then allow you to have a proper keyboard integrated into the hinged section instead of wasting screen space... You get the idea."

But hell what do we know ... I thought the idea of a 3.5" screen on a phone to be completely pointless - thought it would be relegated to a draw and I'd get my old Ericsson out after 3 months ...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

A Larger Remote app would be great, also the ability to use it as a universal remote to control AV equipment (via apps obf course), I agree with Eloise, it may seem strange at the beginning, but couldn't the same be said about Computer based audio systems? Look where that is now, in the driving seat.

The wife likes it, she's usually right about things.

Anywho.... there's my two-pence.

Michael J. Howell[br]Macbook Pro, Airport Extreme Base Station, AppleTV, Majik, Numerik, Katans. Linn Silver and Audioquest 3 Toslink, AQ - Indigo (bi-wire), Mapleshade Bedrocks (yes these actually work).

"Although the Soolos is pretty expensive."

yeah, but can it turn into an Etch A Sketch at the push of a button?

I don't think we can even begin to imagine the potential killer apps that have been waiting for way more 'real estate' than the iPhone form factor provided.

I bet they'll be ready in 60 days time though, as the SDK supporting the iPad was released today.

clay

PS, anyone want a good deal on a Newton?

Hah. Keep your newton. You'll probably be able to get a good price on it as a collectors item.

Ronfint: All the current dock cables terminate in a usb port. Having said that, usb dac's do not work in this type of setup unless they were specifically designed with this functionality as well (and I don't know any that are).

Chris, are you aware of docks that are meant to take a usb connection in this manner rather than a straight docking port?

Hopefully we will see an update to apple tv and the remote app in the near future to take advantage of the ipad.

PS Audio Quintet > Powerbook (iphone with apple remote app) > HRT Streamer II > Kingrex Pre-amp > Kingrex QS-01 > Devore Fidelity Gibbon 7.1\'s

Does anyone know if the iPad OS will allow multi tasking? (I confess I'm too lazy to investigate right now)

Reason being that I use my iTouch extensively as a multi purpose remote - using Apple Remote, Rowmote, VNC, etc - and having to shut down and launch instead of immediately switching is obviously bearable, but somewhat tiresome. For example I also feel the need to keep a regular ir remote handy for immediate volume control or volume muting. For the iPad to fit my ideal of the ultimate luxury remote, multi tasking would be a big bonus, since even a program like Rowmote doesn't fit my needs perfectly just by itself.

Also I acknowledge that my earlier questions about VNC affecting sound quality are very likely extreme audiophile paranoia - In reality I imagine if you were surfing your music library you would be unlikely to notice any slight degradation, and if you settled down to listen to an entire album 'properly' you'd naturally tend to switch off your remote control app for the duration.

A 'souped-up' (excuse the pun) version of Apple Remote for iPad would be sweet, and I suspect very, very likely to appear sooner rather than later.

There is no multitasking on the iPad, which is strange. It is not really a computer, but a big screen, more capable iPod Touch. No iChat, no printing, etc. But it might be a good (very expensive) remote for a headless Mini, that is if Apple upgrades the Remote App. With Pure Vinyl plus iTunes running on the Mini (Pure Vinyl for auto sample rate conversion), and a nice searchable Remote App on the iPad, that would work very well. Still, seems like overkill for a remote. Also I assume Jaadu will release an iPad version of their app, for Screen Sharing with the Mini. That would also be useful. For sure the iPad is no music player, as far as audiophile computer sources go.

Cynic said... "For sure the iPad is no music player, as far as audiophile computer sources go."

Okay not reference level maybe - but an iPod with a Wadia (or Onkyo) dock makes a reasonable source... Now how do I fit a iPad sideways into the Wadia!!

(Apple did miss a trick not putting a second dock connector on the side for portrait viwing I think)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.