IGNORED

More Disruptive Schiit (Vidar)

3 hours ago, franz159 said:

Until now I was oriented to buy a NordAcoustic amp.

This was based on more than positive user feedbacks read on various sites (probably also here on Computer Audiophile)

The need is in short to power in the appropriate way a pair of "hungry" Elac UB5

https://www.elac.com/product/ub5/

Now, knowing that Vidar is finally available and considering that (as mentioned by gmgraves) one single Vidar is probably enough for my need, I am actually re-considering my options.

The main remaining reason in favour of the Nord Acoustic MP amp is probably just its flexibility in terms of power input (auto-switching between 115V and 230V) which is somehow relevant to me because I would be using the amp in US initially, but possibly needing to bring it back to Europe with me in the future.

That's a tough one, given the possible requirement of a different input voltage. 

The NordAcoustic being Class For is a bit more of a risk in my experience. Some Class D is awesome, while some Class D sucks. If you've done your homework, there's probably nothing to worry about. 

On the other hand, I'm willing to bet the Vidar will be very good because of who built it and the tech used. The proof is in the listening once connected to the actual speakers you have. 

For what it's worth, ELAC speakers and Alchemy electronics pair very well. If the Schiit is more like Alchemy, that may be a data point. Or not :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Can't wait to hear these things. 

My TAD CR1s are 4 ohms. I guess that rules out using two Vidars, due to the 8 ohm limit on a mono pair. Using a single Vidar, I have to use single ended RCA cables. Not a deal breaker, but less than desirable. 

Anyone know if a single Vidar is going to be enough to power the CR1s?

Performance Data

Frequency response: 32Hz to 100kHz

Crossover frequencies: 250Hz and 2kHz

Appropriate amplifier power: 50W to 200W

Sensitivity: 86dB (2.83V @ 1m free space) 

Nominal impedance: 4Ω

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, HTaylor said:

Will you be doing a review or providing impressions of the Vidar Individually?  There haven't really been any reputable impressions yet. 

I'll be doing an extensive review of a Schiit reference system Yggdrasil, Freya, and Vidar(s), paired with several different loudspeakers. I have three loudspeakers on the way here and am researching an electrostatic pair to round out the field. 

Speaking of speaker cables and Vidar.

I have a question for those in the know. I have no clue what's going on, but I found something that works. Please help me figure out what's up.

When I first connected the Vidars to my TAD CR1s, the amps went into protection mode within seconds (after outputting fairly loud distortion). 

After Jason from Schitt offered some suggestions, I tried different speaker cables. Still had the same problem. Then I pulled some speaker cables out of storage, connected them to the Vidars, and they worked perfect. 

1. First brand of cables was high end with spades and roughly 8 feet.
  2. Second brand of cables was high end with bananas and roughly 8 feet.
  3. Third, and working, brand of cables is Monster Cable Z Series from the late 1990s, covered in dust from storage, with banana plugs, about 15 feet in length.

Question: Anyone have a clue why the 3rd pair of cables solved my issue? Jason said the Vidars are great at finding system issues.

I disagree. I disconnected and reconnected the same two sets of cables multiple times to make sure they caused the shut down. Plus, this also happened on both left and right channels at the same time (with monoblocks).

I have a fourth pair of cables on the way as another test. Plus, how can I keep a straight face if I review this system using Monster Cable :~)