IGNORED

More Disruptive Schiit (Vidar)

• 2 weeks later...

That was a very well stated response, crenca.  Expecting a swap to well matched tubes for any critical listening is very likely given he is responsive to the chance for flawed results.  That he received the amps so quickly also bodes well for how sorted the manufacturer feels their product will prove in his hands.  Within reason, most of us expect Chris to accept the best SQ possible as that which should be reviewed.    

I will admit to a heavy amount of bias towards reviews of products in stock form that obviously spec a low end part their customers are overwhelmingly going to replace on the spot with their very personal choice.  An informed decision on the part of the manufacturer reduced to idiocy in the hands of someone bound and determined to influence opinion.  Bicycle and outdoors equipment analogies have abounded lately and that market is rife with examples of this.    

30 minutes ago, crenca said:

Just a detail:  IMO (I know, everyone has one ;) ) Chris should start off with the "stock tubes" from Schiit which will be low grade (and low $) Soviet era 6SN7 (unless they have changed course) and then quickly move on to modern production like the Sophia Electric, or at least the modern Tung-sol which is available tested/matched from Upscale which you linked:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/tung-sol-6sn7gtb

Very much so.  Maybe we get lucky and the stock ones stand out one way or the other.  

What ends up being a good match for the "circuit topology" will be interesting to see take shape since it will no doubt involve input from Schiit.  I suspect two candidates will rise from the pile to meet the needs of those at either end of the price scale.  No idea which will end up in his system for this test.      

Never occurred to me that Schiit could very well take their products to shows with stock tubes installed.  Would have figured some experimenting with the room would go on.  

I'm a fairly serious cyclist so drinking is rare these days.  Forced myself to open a bottle of North Coast Old Stock Ale 2017 tonight to determine if it was worth letting some rest a few years.  Don't remind me about single malt I don't know about, put away where I can't find it.  :)

There was a HiFi Pig or positive feedback article about someone flying an employee from the factory to High End overnight with a set of tubes because their sound was so awful.  Didn't strike me as completely insane it corrected the problems they were having.  Or at least that they as a manufacturer would go to lengths getting optimal SQ.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Plus, how can I keep a straight face if I review this system using Monster Cable :~)

Embrace your new reality with a Schiit eating grin.  Review them using Llynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird", Insane Clown Posse, and...

I'll accept my ban for this post without question and offer thanks to everyone who made the time I spent here enjoyable.

@The Computer AudiophileI'm actually encouraged you ran into problems.  Beats the nonsensical sub-atomic nitpicking of obscure sciences and mishmash of white papers being produced.  Will be interesting to see how mundane the issue you uncovered is and how limiting the solution proves.  

The more even tempered among us won't exactly be out of our minds livid if, even with their combined design history, their first amp doesn't exactly hit it out of the park.  Tinkering is more than half the fun anyways.

• 7 months later...

Ah, my fault for thinking you referring to going direct from DAC to amp. 

If trying it in an outlet on a different circuit doesn't help you can try a different location altogether.  That thread I linked to should cover a good in depth process of elimination for troubleshooting.  

• 3 weeks later...

Silicon mat (heat resistant not anti-slip) might be an easy pre-cut solution.  You'll want to be careful choosing a glue since you will be breathing the same air the amp radiates heat into.  There are non-metallic crush washers that might be useful as well.