IGNORED

More Disruptive Schiit (Vidar)

3 minutes ago, franz159 said:

OK, I can buy "200W at 8 Ohm" in this way

1) https://www.nordacoustics.co.uk/product-page/nord-one-mp-nc250-stereo-power-amp

About 1023$ delivered to me in NY

or in this way

2) 2 x http://schiit.com/products/vidar

About 1467$ 

delivered to me in NY

I kinda know what the answer will be in this thread, and I honestly want to reassure you I'm not trying to generate any flame.

But what would you consider as pros and cons of option 1 and 2 above?

Thanks

franz

Well, most don't really need TWO Vidars. One Vidar is 100 W/pc, plenty for most setups and only $649. 

George

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, bobbmd said:

Or how about Legacy Audio HD studio monitors- again made in the USA

I am not aware of these speakers. If they aren't isodynamic or electrostatic, I'm probably not interested. I'm not particularly fond of all-cone type speakers (although my desktop nearfield monitors, Napa Acoustics NS-208As are pretty damn good; especially when paired with their matching amp the Napa NA-208A). I don't mind a cone speaker for the bottom end, but it's planners for me above that. 

George

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Chui said:

I have had my Vidar for a couple of weeks now.  I love the sound and have not had one issue with it.  I own several pieces of Schiit; 2 - Bifrosts (non multi bit), 1 - Asgard, and a Modi/Magni stack.  Oh, and a Fulla 2.  Love them all.  Great sound and value for the money.  Will be ordering a Freya to use with the Vidar shortly.  Currently using a older Forte' preamp with the Vidar.

My Asgard 2 is by far the best headphone amp I have ever heard. Wide bandwidth, pure Class A, high-end power supply, and a very wide output swing. I drive a pair of HiFiMan HE-1000 with them. Might seem strange (as it certainly did to the people at HiFiMan) to power a $3000 pair of headphones with a $250 headphone amp, but it beats any other dedicated headphone amp I've ever tried including several very expensive ones from Woo! I'll bet the Valhalla2, Lyr2, and Mjolnir2 are even better. And of course, the Yggy is probably, easily, the best DAC under ten grand! In my view, Schiit is exactly what high-end audio has needed for many years. Quality, affordable, no-frills components that let the average Joe (financially speaking) enjoy high-end sonics. Sure there are enough nouveau riche people in the world to keep the likes of MSB, dCS, D'Agustino, Pass, Wilson Audio, etc. going, But now we of more modest means can sample near state-of-the-audio-art as well.

George

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Corvo said:

Hello, new member and new schiit gear owner here. I wanted to ask if there are any news regarding the hum/buzz of the vidar? Unfortunately I'm having the same problem. A buzz coming directly out of the unit. Saga too creates a buzz as soon connected to vidar, but I did reduce it to a minimum. Hardly audiable from the speakers. What bothers me is that "mecanical" buzz which comes out of vidar. So did anybody find a solution?

Sending back is the last option as I live in europe.

Many thanks!

Since the buzz is coming out of the Vidar unit itself, and not your speakers (I assume that's what you're saying), then the problem is most assuredly the power transformer being loose. I have a Krell amp that did that from the factory. I took the top off and found that the amp had a torridial wound power transformer that was held to the bottom plate on the case with a single screw and a big washer through the middle (like the hole in a doughnut). The transformer had worked loose in transit and was vibrating the Krells case. I put a wrench on the nut on the bottom of the case to hold it, and the used a screwdriver to tighten-down the transformer, and It's never happened again. I'd give that a look, were I you. Since it's mechanical, it won't require any electronics skill to ascertain whether the transformer is making that racket or not, and minimal tool skills to correct it. There certainly isn't much else in the package that can "buzz". 

George