IGNORED

iTunes Work/Movement fields: who's using them?

Hi,

Is anyone using the (new) iTunes Work/Movement fields?

I looks like an improvement but I don't want to start re-tagging some 5K+ tracks to find out that it isn't really that useful...

macos-itunes12-5-my-music-songs-get-info

I see that Doug has two scripts that help out a bit but still require a lot of manual intervention:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/2016/08/a-couple-of-work-and-movement-scripts/

Cheers,

Ricardo

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I've just learnt of a caveat that will probably prevent e from using this new feature:

I use a serious metadata editor called Yate to keep the metadata in my audio files in a careful semblance of order.  If I use Yate to examine the metadata on the files subjected to this new treatment, I find that it shows all of the new data in fields identified as “Work name”, “Movement name”, and “Movement [ ] of [ ]”, and in addition there is a checkbox for “show work name in iTunes”.  So clearly, the metadata is being stored in a manner that at least one serious metadata App house is familiar with.  I asked Barry at Yate (the go-to guy for all things metadata) for clarity on this, and indeed there is more to it than meets the eye.  For Apple Lossless files (m4a) this new data maps directly to existing metadata fields, and everything works smoothly.  However, with MP3, AIFF, and some WAV files, which use the ID3 format for metadata, Apple plays fast and loose.  They shoe-horn the new data into the “Grouping” field, which is already widely used in the (mostly non-Apple) community to hold other custom data.  For most people, though, this won’t be a problem in practice.

source: http://www.psaudio.com/article/itunes-goes-classical/

Yes, I use the work and movement fields. I prefer the way albums are displayed in iTunes (Mac) and iOS when I use those fields. But it was a lot of work initially going through all of my existing albums and updating the tags. There is indeed a lot of manual tweaking involved, even if you use the scripts Doug provides.

Also, keep in mind that the original "name" field remains unchanged for each track (unless you deliberately go and change it). This preserves backward compatibility with apps (such as the iOS Remote app) that do not support the work and movement fields.

The Work tag is a good feature, long overdue, but some users already had been using Grouping for Work.  Musicophile pointed out many months ago that the iTunes tag called Grouping in English is called Work in the German localization of iTunes.  Audirvana is designed to interpret Grouping this way.

The new Movement tags seem redundant with the Name tag.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

8 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

The Work tag is a good feature, long overdue, but some users already had been using Grouping for Work.  Musicophile pointed out many months ago that the iTunes tag called Grouping in English is called Work in the German localization of iTunes.  Audirvana is designed to interpret Grouping this way.

The new Movement tags seem redundant with the Name tag.

I have been using the Grouping field to describe the kind of work: Symphonies, Cello Concertos, Violin Sonatas, Piano Solo, Songs, Orchestral, Chamber, etc.

That way I can easily display all Cello Sonatas or Symphonic Poems using the Column Browser.

• 4 weeks later...

Dont forget the Movement No/Total fields this allows you keep tracks nos for the tracks on the album but then store the movement no for the movements on the album, very useful when an album contain multiple movements. If you use movement name instead of song name iTunes will nicely indent the tracks for you in album view so that you don't need to repeat the work information in the movement name.

itunes9.thumb.jpg.52215515a773877029d8b02640da7f47.jpg

For an explanation of the pigs ear iTunes made of adding to ID3 format please see http://blog.jthink.net/2016/12/itunes-add-new-grouping-field-but.html

Both my SongKong and Jaikoz music taggers have support for adding this new iTunes metadata automatically.

Indie software developer of Jaikoz and SongKong taggers and the opensrc tagging library jaudiotagger