IGNORED

USB audio cracked... finally!

8 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I still don't see where it says that cable suppresses noise put on the USB lines by the computer BEFORE they exit the computer. I know why...they don't! That cable is only effective IF there is EFI affecting the sound quality. Other cable can certainly block EFI as well.

Of course they are... The problem they (sometimes) block musicality too.

Roch

PS/ I don't own (but like to try)  the "Lush"...life.

6 hours ago, manisandher said:

FWIW, I have a strong preference for using the USB2 port at the back of the audio PC - it sounds more 'alive' than any of the USB3 slots, with a bit more bite. USB3 sounds full-bodied, but overly-smooth and boring in comparison... in my system... to my ears. (And yes, even with the Lush feeding the Phisolator built into the DAC, different PC ports still sound different.)

Mani.

Like SE vs BAL in analogue?

Gentlemen, please ignore my post, I don't want to derail this thread !

Roch

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Or maybe not so super great. :(

DAC setup was made, scope was put forward but next I spent hours on the phone about a delivery of capacitors I am waiting for for weeks and which was finally shipped yesterday and ... delivered somewhere else. Then another delivery of flat packs (boxes) for the Lush stayed away for too long, so half of the Lushes for today were not packed and all helping hands had to leave the building leaving me with a pile of cables. Then I had to reorganize things because people who payed first had there Lushes not packed which made me feel bad. And then the almost worst part was that the flat packs were delivered with the UPS truck 2 minutes behind it. So that created psychological pressure because all I had to do was pack the remaining Lushes together with the proper paperwork ... and under pressure all becomes messy.

And so I have one Lush left of 70cm and one of 100cm not shipped because that 100cm ended up somewhere ... well, I don't even know.

The reason for this post :

Please bear with me because some of the packages really look ugly for the tape and plastic bag I had to put on it in, which things I (all so clearly) never do, let alone being in a rush. Apologies for that. and for that one which did not get out. And for the one person who probably receives 100cm instead of 70cm.

Peter

Shit happens not only in the rainforest?

My "Lush" is still in the customs.  I forgot that there was a holiday (very common on this side of the world). Oh, and a strike .... Now we have customs lush, but not at my house. I'll have it at home next 27, I hope.

Best,

Roch

5 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hi Roch,

I assume you mean the customs underway to the rainforest ? I mean, your Lush was delivered on the 21st just outside the rainforest. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Peter

Yes, the Lush arrived on time to my forwarding address in Miami, Fl.  No problems there and the same day was sent to my Rainforest, where it is stalled by customs formalities. But that's normal here. Such is life in the tropics where the banana grows :(

Best,

Roch

37 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Received my Lush cable today and damn it took 2 days to get here from the Netherlands.  Not only that but Peter responded promptly to my order and took no time at all fulfilling my order.  Some of the most friendly and fast service I've ever experienced.

I am however having an issue.  My PC can not see my DAC with the Lush cable in line directly between the two.  Other USB cables have no issue.  When I use the sMS-200 between it and the DAC I have no issue.  Any ideas what the problem is and how I can resolve it?

Windows 2016 Server.  AO and Fidelizer disabled, still same problem.

USB controller shows "Device Descriptor Request Failed"

Error image attached.  

lusherror.jpg

No shi*t...!

Do you have installed Dutch, Frisian & Papiamento languages on your PC.

If not, you don't get the Lush.

Roch

My vey first impressions:

- The volume of the stage where the event was recorded is impressively reproduced. I suppose this is thanks to a better rendering of low frequencies. No more punchy, no more dB, only correct, no distortion and controlled. This differs a lot from analogue reproduction where erratic behavior of the needle can be obtained by trying to "read" the LP.

- Even with the previous one, the midrange frequencies are the appropriate ones and the high frequencies detailed without getting to the exaggeration. Very similar to the analogue reproduction, but with much more extension in the highs.

- No more ping-pong with the Lush, but a correct, giant, deep and wide soundstage, without "holes" in the middle. Of course on good stereo recordings.

I'm impressed? Of course, DENSE & ORGANIC. Who said orgasmic (but in tone with the music) ?

Cracked?   No,  rediscovered !

Thanks Peter, my Rainforest has now eco-music reproduction, that perfectly match the environment.

Roch

PS / I had / have several crazy days, before and now with the Lush, something outside my home is interfering with the remotes, even with that of the preamp. WiFi went crazy, the TV turned on by itself, etc., etc. I have RF, Magnetic and Electrical radiation meters and they do not indicate anything strange. Someone knows of some (new) alien invasion?  :confused:

38 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Thank you Roch ! I am really happy it works out for you too.

Does your RF meter also measure / detect the normal WiFi signal ? If not it doesn't tell much that you now don't see anything of it.

I hope you'll find the alien.

(I just tried to find the name of that movie with the monster disguised as a tree (was it with Sylvester Stallone ?) but I can't find it)

The interference is for real !

I spoke with Conrad Johnson chief technician regarding the preamp. He told me to remove all the digital equipment near it ...!

He then asked me if there was anything new in the house that would cause the interference. But I have nothing new that can cause this.

Wait a second, I have a new maid and always walks with 3 cell phones on top! But looking at her I do not have a heart to fire it 9_9

Would you ?

597cc1380a7c0_Newmaid.thumb.jpeg.7cf1d48d9ad42fa513cbed628fa9227a.jpeg

Roch

PS/ The interference is not a joke. I don't want to derail the thread, if somebody has suggestion, please PM me.

10 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Roch, digital amps are known to cause such things (Tripath and the like). They radiate very high frequency and in uncontrolled bands (reserved for other communication).

Neighbors ?

No digital amps, neighbors far away.

Thanks, 

Roch

19 hours ago, Doak said:

Today's obervation(s):

The gap between PCM and DSD has been all but closed. My DAC (see signature) has dedicated "engines" for each, and I've had a distinct preference for it's DSD playback.  What I'd noticed most with PCM was a some graininess at the edges of notes along with a slight hollowness. Listening through my PCM reference playlist today I do not detect a bit of either of those undesirable qualities. 

Words of the Day: REFINED & MEATY

Bold is mine.

Well 'almost', but please remember @PeterSt is a PCM man :D

Anyway, the Lush is closer to analogue, but with the huge advantages of digital on frequency extremes, like I mentioned in my previous posts.

But I have to be honest, since HQPlayer is what I use and all my music files are (were) converted to DSD I have no experience settings the filters for PCM on this music player.

REFINED & MEATY? Fully agree.  Like rice & beans cooked on coconut oil (a traditional dish on the Caribbean side of my Rainforest).  Or Roch's paella, spicy enough but you will not miss the palate to taste the seafood

Roch

PS/ This weekend the maid had his days off and I don't have any of my RF previous problems!

It's true that she carries 3 cel. phones that connect to my WiFi.  What kind of app she could have that causes such interference?  Sorry to derail the thread but no one pm'd me...

10 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

For those of us sitting on the sidelines trying to determine who is more credible, can you share your own background in this area or any other related fields?

Dear Kuma,

By the times I duplicated CDs (EAC on Win 7), I used, to get a more decent SQ, some Theory®  CD-R blanks.  To my ears (and some friends) they improved a lot the SQ...

They was expensive and very hard to find.  Some friends said I was crazy.  And yes, of course I'm9_9

My (good) experience with the Lush is from an user point of view and I can swear you even if the theory and / or measurements could condemn this cable I would still use it:D

Roch

3 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

Lol!! Seriously? You think/thought that using certain CD-R blanks improved the sound quality of the digital music files copied on them? Compared to what? I suppose you are going to tell me that the using a high dollar LPS to power the CD burner improved the sound quality even more....

Please go back and search for @alfe, he is an CD / DVD player designer, maybe you can learn something from him. I believe he left this kind of discussion because of some members with very poor knowledge in this matter, but with a big tongue.

I own a top of the line CD Player / Burner, PlexWriter®  that had a very reasonable price by the time I bought it.  Don't need it anymore now, because the ripping to hard drive, where you can find a lot with the nice price.

Regarding LPSU I own a lot of them, then no extra money to pay.  You can get good ones without paying too much, but if you like the best try Paul Hynes or @Superdad's UpTone Audio. 

Don't know if EAC forum still exist, but by that time this German student was getting his PhD in electronics, digital electronics and software (not a plain IT) by donations he got for his software.  He had an extended list of CD Player / Burners with settings applied when running EAC and discussions about several CD-Rs brands. 

Roch

2 hours ago, semente said:

A few of the improvements that you are describing can be attributed to lower noise floor.

This brings up a few questions:

Why is this lower noise floor audible if it's the result of changes to the chain before D/A conversion?

Is the noise affecting the performance of the D/A chip?

Is the noise reaching the analogue stage through other means other the aforementioned chip?

If it is audible then it can be measured, right?

Or is it something other than noise, like transient response?

Isn't transient response also measurable?

Or am I completely off target?

I don't have the technical knowledge, but transient response are related to phase noise / time domain ?

With the Lush in the chain what I most admire (within another pile of things) is the stability of the deep bass. Is this related to time domain / phase? Can this be measured?

Is the Phasure DAC name related to phase? :D

Roch

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

All of that. But mainly air (which is the dielectric).

Hi Peter,

I noticed the "air" from the first day.  I'm on my way to replace The Netherlands air with the Rainforest one.

Can this void the warranty?

Thanks,

Roch

PS/ Later on I'll let you know SQ changes :cool:

43 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Yes, and although I would not be able to come to such a thing myself, I think it will be very true.

Maybe also interesting for the way how Frans "operates" in this realm :

I have it a sort of other way around; when I listen with my eyes closed (just in the music room) all starts to be too good and the music is going to sound as if I am wearing headphones (I am not sure how this relates to the good or better reproduction system). So I need to see the room, which is just static, but still. So envision : it would now be more difficult not to "see" the loudspeakers as in "they should disappear when all is quite good" - because I see them and can not help that. And if they *then* disappear it would be a good thing.

It has to be so that it is a mental thing that with eyes closed it sounds better. Same as the twisting woman example, but the other way around (you'd better see her doing that or otherwise you may not be able to cope).

If the woman is beautiful it still sounds better, but what happens in the case of blind people?

They say that blind people develops an improved hearing capabilities...

Roch

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Don’t know if you’re old enough, but there was the same discussion going on about different SPDIF cables before USB came along. :)

Hi Jud,

I quite agree with you and want to add:

I have not been much interested in the age of the posters, but the repetitive issues very widely discussed in this forum and not really belong to the thread. Perhaps the important thing is the time they have to participate in CA, especially if it gives them laziness to do a backward search in the forum.

On the other hand, WTF discuss in a thread dedicated to a specific USB cable SPDIF cables or interfaces. Note that I am not with this saying that USB or SPDIF is better or worse.

Are there any others members involved in the discussion because someone did not like a Schiit DAC and is taking revenge?

Forgive my poor English, but this is what you call in your language "trolling" ...?

Roch