Sign in to follow this  
The Computer Audiophile

Article: AURALiC ALTAIR Review

Rate this topic

Just to note, the firmware is now on version 5.1.beta3, as it happened last night. When it rebooted, the Auralic logo on display came on all jumbled in a sort of computer code kind of way. I used the power on/off on the remote to refresh itself and everything seems just fine. Nothing else seems to have changed. Maybe it sounds a little different?

15 hours ago, LarryMagoo said:

10TB....really?   I only have .5 TB/600+ albums and I cannot remember all that I have....how do you do it with 20X more? Yikes!

It's a bit much to have all of this music, but for the most part it helps me test. When a company says it can handle large libraries without issues, I can run all kinds of tests to see if that's true. 

Founder of Audiophile Style and Superphonica

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

What components have similar features, and an entire ecosystem like this, that you would compare?

NAIM?  More $$ and I do not think they do DSD but they do have single box solutions.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear R7800 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBT->Topping NX4 DSD->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: Squeeze Commander (DroidX) & iPeng (iPad Air); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: Sony NWZ_ZX1 & ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  Wish List: New DAC,  SBT replacement; Dream system: Linn EXACT or ATC Active or Big Tubes (KR or Nagra or Shindo or ...)

My goal is to use appliances and take home PC out of the chain...

On 14.7.2017 at 2:21 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

What components have similar features, and an entire ecosystem like this, that you would compare?

Bluesound Vault2. Less $$, internal HDD included, no DSD but MQA :).

"Ever try switching from a life (TV, laptop, phone, tablet) weaved into Apple's ecosystem to using an Android phone?"

Ever try to use an Lightning DS with a non-Apple product?  It doesn't work since Android 5 and they don;t support it.  The latest promise many months back is a web version but it never appears.  And why do they keep the latest firmware at beta?

How much improvment do you get with altair compared to an auralic aries mini runing with an external DAC (Atoll HD 100)?

The question more precisely is would you improve the system by keeping the mini and changing the DAC or upgrading to the altair?

54 minutes ago, fritzg said:

Does the ALTAIR function as a pre-amp?

I tested it running directly to my active speakers and it was perfectly happy.

Note - the heaphone socket does not disable the rca outputs.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors

Audirvana 3 or JRiver MC+BubbleUPNP

1 hour ago, fritzg said:

Thanks. Does it have a fixed-volume feature e who don't want to use it as such?

I only tested it for a few days but, if I recall correctly, it has no fixed volume switch - you would have to set the digital volume control to 100%.

David

MacMini, Mytek Manhattan I DAC, Avantone The Abbey Monitors

Audirvana 3 or JRiver MC+BubbleUPNP