IGNORED

Neil Young Reissues

I'm fortunate enough to have a copy of the blu ray version of the initial installment of the Neil Young Archives. My experience has been that listening to the blu ray versions is as close as I can imagine coming to hearing Neil Young play in my living room. That was my initial opinion, which has since been heightened by the addition of a Berkeley Alpha to my home system(I'm truly amazed at how much "new" information I can hear from recordings that I've been listening to for a good part of my adult life).

I see now that 4 of Neil Young's early (and very popular) recordings(Neil Young, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, After the Goldrush, and Harvest) have been or will be released as limited editions in 180 gram LP and gold CD versions. I was curious to know if anyone was considering purchasing the gold CD's, with an ear towards comparing the gold CD with the blu ray versions. Here is my rationale. Although Chris has posted a primer on ripping blu ray audio, it would certainly be easier, and potentially in the same ballpark from an audio quality standpoint, to rip the gold CD's to FLAC and/or WAV format.

Ive purposely chosen to stay away from comparisons of either format versus vinyl, which would be a whole other conversation with a great degree of inherent controversy.

- Esau