• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2017 at 6:12 PM, slingshot said:

Hi, I have been looking into this combination also but to run Roon Remote on it not Roon Core as I didn't think it was powerful enough to run HQ Player.  Nice to know you have not have trouble with it; it would streamline my system.  I would just connect external hard drives to it rather than using hard drives on my main computer. There have been some complaints about it freezing it up on the Intel forums. 

When you say motherboard do you mean the  Barebones PC Kit? 

Was it difficult to install?I looked at the manual and there are 18 steps. I have a friend who is an IT hardware guy and I will probably have him install it for me. 

I plan on purchasing a T & A Dac 8 or their more expensive DAC and using HQ Player to upsample to 512. 

By motherboard I mean the circuit board (PCB assembly) inside the NUC chassis.

The installation instructions for the Akasa Galactico case don't cover the removal of the PCB assembly & CPU thermal solution from the Intel case.  I discovered I had to remove just about every screw visible before the PCB assembly could be freed.

The installation procedure is quite straightforward, though a bit time consuming.  I also realized once the assembly is completed, the DDR4 SODIMM memory module and M.2 SSD module(s) will be completely inaccessible and not even visible, since they sit face down against the bottom of the chassis, so I had to make decisions on how much memory and SSD to install onto the PCB up front.  The NUC6i7KYK barebones PC kit does not come with any memory or M.2 SSD pre-installed, so you get to decide on these.

I used Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound instead of the supplied white-colored thermal compound for the heat pipes.  The steps in the guide need to be strictly followed, especially when tightening the various screws towards the end.