IGNORED

Hi Lew, are the sample rates different also? You should have no problem with 24bit vs 16bit; just set the M-Audio to 24bit and with a file having 16bit depth it should just pad out each sample with 8 zeroes ( a non-destructive operation). It's with the sample rate changing from say 44.1khz to 96khz that the M-Audio will bugger up the sound unless you change it's setting in control panel first.

FWIW, I can easily tell the difference between a 16/44.1 file and a 24/48 file but cannot really tell any difference between 24/48 and 24/96. (all being played bit perfectly). YMMV. However, any file being resampled on the fly with that device sounds bad to me so I would just avoid letting that happen.

- John.

Hi John, I see what you mean in as much as setting the M-Audio to 24bit and let it "pad".

When you say "M-Audio will bugger up the sound unless you change it's setting in control panel first."

Are you suggesting changing the settings in the M-Audio control panel? if not, which?

Would creating seperate playlists by keeping files of the same sampling frequency together.

ie. don't mix sampling frequency files in the same playlist but if I want to listen to those files,

manually change the settings first?

Thanks for your patience,

cheers,

Lew

Asus Eeebox EB1501 > HiFace > MF Vdac > Naim NAC102/NAP180 > Castle Howard

Yes Lew, that's what I meant - the M-Audio control panel. Keeping songs of different sampling frequencies in different playlists will work fine as you say. I used to do that myself but I like to shuffle randomly amongst all of my files so I switched to 'Play' on a Mac. From their website though it does sound lie the M2-Tech thingy will be the answer for you. Would be good if someone could confirm for sure.

- John.