IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

Thanks for all the great insight on the SOtM Ultra! I'm about to buy one, with still 2 things need to get sorted out, perhaps someone has views on this:

1) connection with DAC

is it possible to use a direct connection plug/adapter? (an USB cable without the cable in between the plugs, such as the adapter Sonore offers).  The hard part is that de USB slot on the SOtM is positioned on a 90 degree angle, so I wonder if such adapters do exist?? (of course the combined depth has to be taken in account here: DAC+adapter+SOtM+power cable)

2) direct connection with NAS

I'll be using Roon on a desktop PC (with ssd) as Roon Server, with the songs stored on a NAS (Asustor). Now the NAS has two Ethernet sockets, is it possible to connect the SOtM directly with the NAS, so the switch is out of the equation? The underlying question is (where my knowledge simply falls short), what is the Roon chain of command? (a) Does the client push the server, and the server on its turn pushes the NAS to directly push a song to the NAA? Or (b) does the server collects the song from the NAS and pushes it itself to the NAA? In this case a direct connection with the NAA will probably not be possible.

Does someone has any views on this? Help would be much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...