IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, rhale64l7 said:

Ok I am buying a new dac. Holo Audio Spring 2 dac Kate edition. And my return window on the 200 ultra neo will be up buy the time I get it. I am wondering if keeping the 200 ultra will still make as big a difference as it has through my OPPO 105 USB dac input, and Emotiva RMC1l's USB dac input? What kind of differences will still be noticed over using the laptop hooked directly to the dac? 

Thank you,

Ron

Of course that depends on your entire system but I'd say: Definitely KEEP it (if you can afford the expense).

I use the SMS-200 Ultra with the Bryston BDA-3, and compared to directly feeding it the USB output from my mac mini - the soundstage is deeper, the sound more natural, it cuts a lot of the harshness and overall I get a more natural sound with the SOTM (fed by a linear power supply - seems quite important). I would have never imagined this before listening, but yes, the source is very important;

On 2/2/2020 at 3:49 AM, rhale64l7 said:

Also your saying if I had the trifecta even going to a higher quality dac that it would be a noticeable improvement?

I don't have the TX-usb and I could still clearly "see" the improvement with my BDA-3. And the Bryston does pretty nifty internal reclocking...