IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

I am new to Computer Audio forum, but I have participated in other audio forums in the past.  Most my audio experience has been 2 channel analog along with home theater integration.  I have what I consider to be a resolving 2 channel setup. 

I have been ripping vinyl to digital (when I get a chance), so I invested in a play back system to stream my digital rips.   I currently have a USB direct setup:

Win 7 64-bit -> JRiver MC23 -> USB (Wywires Platinum) -> Wyred 4 Sound USB Recovery (LPS) -> USB (Paul Pang PPA short USB) -> Exogal COmet DAC.

I have my music on an external hard drive.  I had it connected directly to the computer, but moved the drive to my router so I could serve tunes over the network using DLNA.  That was in preparation to try a network renderer.  

I have researched to where I have analysis paralysis.  I have looked at SOTM and Sonore offerings as my two possible options. 

I was thinking that I could maybe start with a standard SOTM  SMS-200 and use my existing LPS to hear if network streaming sounds better than USB direct.  I can play JRIver (from computer) or BubblePUNP (from phone) to play tunes to my system through the network vs USB direct.  

I have a couple questions if someone does not mind sharing their experience.

1. Does the Wyred 4 Sound USB Recovery improve the sound of the standard SMS-200 and would that combo be close to the audio quality of the SMS-200Ultra since the Wyred re-clocks?
  2. Since the SMS-200Ultra has an improved clock, is the Wyred 4 Sound USB Recovery not needed?

If I like network streaming then I can consider other changes like Roon, and improved equipment for streaming.

Thanks in advance for advice to a streaming newbie.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply.  I will keep track of this thread and continue to educate myself by reading other threads.  I guess my main concern is if I do not get a suitable streaming device that matches the level of my other components will I know the full potential?

Greg

Hi Chris,

GregCA was simply because GregC was taken, and that is the handle I generally use.  I am in California, just next to Monterey. 

I have read the posts here, and the forum members do seem to be respectful of each other. 

I am an analog dinosaur, yet my career has been spent in technology.  I appreciate how computers have become integrated into audio.  I have a lot of time and money invested into my 2 channel setup, and I have spent many years to get to where I am happy with my current setup. 

Network streaming makes a lot of sense to me, especially the convenience of not having to fire up a laptop when I feel like playing tunes.  The one downside seems to be the inability to stream audio from any audio source on the computer to a DAC (like you can with USB direct).

Greg

HI Chris,

Glad you got your SMS-200 ultra and SPS-500 and you are happy with what you are hearing.  I also read back through the thread and saw your posts regarding a Powerline LAN.  I also use a Powerline LAN to connect all my components in my HT and 2 channel system and wonder if my sound quality is degraded as a result.

Greg

1 hour ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Hi GregCA,

I can't say yet as I am still using PowerLAN in my house, not for Streaming no more but in general. 

In a few weeks time my electrician will drill some holes into my floors so that I can run CAT/LAN from directly from the switch next to my router upstairs down ground level to my SOTM and then compare that to receiving Wireless as I do now.

Chris

Hi Chris,

That is a big task to drill holes, I hope that pays off with better sound. 

I am seriously limited to where my only option is either a PowerLAN or a wireless extender.  My setup is on the ground level of my home with a cement slab.  The router and stereo system are on opposite corners of the house in different rooms.  I cannot use coax connections because I run DirecTV with more than one receiver. 

My analog setup is where I have spent the most time and money to get the best sound, and I find that my digital play back is improving to where it is getting close to the sound of the vinyl tracks that I have ripped.  

I decided to get an UltraRendu and Ultra LPS-1.2 power supply to stream my digital music.  I cannot wait to hear if that improves over my USB direct that I have now.

Greg

31 minutes ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

Although, you know, with vinyl it sounds great and not digital. The CD-2 also sounds rather digital too. But the resolution of details, oh boy, that is really fantastic. 

Hi Chris,

For digital playback I found an Exogal Comet Plus was smooth and musical (without rolling off details).  When I listen to my vinyl rips it gets close enough without running more hours on an expensive phono cartridge for tracks I have already recorded.

Greg