IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

1 hour ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

I am looking for advise here as I have SOtM SMS 200 ultra and SOtM 500 PSU on order now.

My question is:

Can I move the MacMini - which I believe I would still need for upsampling sometimes but otherwise not as I am a Roon user in the first place - to another room (preferred) and maybe also close to the main router with regards to "noise" issues?

I have all media now stored on a Synology NAS that would then be attached to the same switch as the MacMini. From there, through DLAN, streams would be received by the SMS-200 thru a LAN cable attached to another switch that will be fed by the DLAN adapter next to my HIFI. So a pretty long distance. Will this degrade the end result?

Or should I keep the Mini and the NAS in the living room and close to the SOtM for a good reason?

Focus on endpoint or focus on the source or both?

Any suggestion welcome, thx

Chris

No need to keep them in the same room -- the mini and the ultra will be communicating via your network.  I'd move the Mini and NAS to a place out of the way.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

do you have coax between the two locations?  if so, they you can use moca adapters.  great performance this way.  just would need to shunt the adapter power supplies to minimize their noise (or use lps).

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

yep, the type of cable you would use to connect your cable box.  if you have home runs to a single location, connect the coax cable from the office to the one to the living room.  then can use the moca adapters: https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200S02/dp/B013J7OBUU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce