IGNORED

Optane SSD as Boot drive - SQ Nirvana?

23 minutes ago, lateboomer said:

I believe you are correct as I haven't not checked in the details yet. So I will use Asus M.2 pcie card with other cheaper ssd storage to try on Asrock J3455B-ITX mobo first. What ssd should I get? Will any M.2 nvme ssd card work as long as not Optane? 

For what is is worth, my Optane runs just fine on my Gigabyte GA-Z170N mainboard.

I'm the USA guy Larry referred to, whose Optane is no longer working.  I ran it successfully on my main M2 slot until I tried to move it to the Asus PCie card, then all failed (including moving it back to M2).  I run a Gigabyte Z170X-UD5, a board Gigabyte does not have listed in the above Optane board list.  ? 

31 minutes ago, baconbrain said:

For what is is worth, my Optane runs just fine on my Gigabyte GA-Z170N mainboard.

3 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I'm the USA guy Larry referred to, whose Optane is no longer working.  I ran it successfully on my main M2 slot until I tried to move it to the Asus PCie card, then all failed (including moving it back to M2).  I run a Gigabyte Z170X-UD5, a board Gigabyte does not have listed in the above Optane board list.  ? 

I have to wonder what functions the 200 series chipset provide Optane that are not part of the 100 series. To work is one thing, but to work with full functionality is another. I don't know personally but will have a look and reply. 

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

One could separate the two USB chains by adding a pcie USB card and installing it in a slot with a direct cpu connection.

Note that most PCIe USB cards are x1, but x1 slots on motherboards run off the chipset.  So I believe you need to install the PCIe USB card in one of the long PCIe slots that are usually used by graphics cards.  Is this your understanding also, @lmitche?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

10 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I have to wonder what functions the 200 series chipset provide Optane that are not part of the 100 series. To work is one thing, but to work with full functionality is another. I don't know personally but will have a look and reply. 

These sites explain some of the chipset questions.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-optane-3d-xpoint-motherboard,33398.html

and 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10959/intel-launches-7th-generation-kaby-lake-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-i3-7350k/7

34 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Optane will work as a cache accelerator for a hard drive only on 200 series boards.  Optane works fine as an SSD on 100 series boards.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I don't believe Optane is compatible with the 100 series chipsets.  I could be wrong, but you can verify here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024020.html

Of course if you don't want to use Optane this isn't an issue.

Optane is not compatible with z170 motherboards when used as a disk cache, but as an SSD it works just fine with a z170.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 hour ago, rickca said:

Note that most PCIe USB cards are x1, but x1 slots on motherboards run off the chipset.  So I believe you need to install the PCIe USB card in one of the long PCIe slots that are usually used by graphics cards.  Is this your understanding also, @lmitche?

There are three pcie highways coming from a i7-6700k cpu, two usually go directly to the two longest pcie slots closest to the CPU and the third to the pch (z170). So three devices may have exclusive use of these highways when configured optimally. The fourth and any additional devices will connect to the chipset. However each board is different so you must read the manual to find these details.

22 hours ago, ted_b said:

Shitty Ted.  But why did you move it in the first place?  

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Hi Larry,

Can I ask for some advice? I have followed this thread and cloned the Win10 OS the Optane 32Gb in the motherboard M2 slot with Paragon Migrate and it is working properly with some improvement in SQ mainly more open sound. This is my third system with Win 10 and AO optimised and connected to T+A Dac 8 DSD and using HQplayer upsample to DSD512 . I am using the same motherboard and CPU as Ted's( Gigabyte z170X-UD5 and Intel 6700K CPU). I have just received my Asus Hyper M2.X4 mini PCIe card and I just read that 2 Optanes has fried and one of which is Ted's. I happen to have the same motherboard as Ted's so do you think I should go ahead with the change to Asus PCIe card or should I put it to a hold? Any reason why should the Optane got fried in this position?

Another related question is I have tried to use a Orico PCIe SATA card and plug the SATA devices DVD ROM and HDD to this Orico PCIe to SATA card but the sound stuttered like mad once it goes to high resolution. So what PCIe card do you use when you completely eliminated the onboard SATA? Or you plug all the HDDs and Lan cards to your Adnaco? Thanks.

Hols, Larry plugs his HDD into the Adnaco using a USB 3.1 hdd enclosure with UASP

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XLAZEFC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(which is what I will do once Adanco starts selling again), and currently I plug my HDD into my M2 slot (formerly used by my then-healthy Optane) using a simple M2-SATA adapter and a short SATA cable (I tried Larry's former approach and used a 6 inch SATA cable but the reach strain it put on the SATA adapter was too much and the $20 adapter broke.  I'm buying another and using a 10 inch cable this time :) ).

5 hours ago, hols said:

Hi Larry,

Can I ask for some advice? I have followed this thread and cloned the Win10 OS the Optane 32Gb in the motherboard M2 slot with Paragon Migrate and it is working properly with some improvement in SQ mainly more open sound. This is my third system with Win 10 and AO optimised and connected to T+A Dac 8 DSD and using HQplayer upsample to DSD512 . I am using the same motherboard and CPU as Ted's( Gigabyte z170X-UD5 and Intel 6700K CPU). I have just received my Asus Hyper M2.X4 mini PCIe card and I just read that 2 Optanes has fried and one of which is Ted's. I happen to have the same motherboard as Ted's so do you think I should go ahead with the change to Asus PCIe card or should I put it to a hold? Any reason why should the Optane got fried in this position?

Another related question is I have tried to use a Orico PCIe SATA card and plug the SATA devices DVD ROM and HDD to this Orico PCIe to SATA card but the sound stuttered like mad once it goes to high resolution. So what PCIe card do you use when you completely eliminated the onboard SATA? Or you plug all the HDDs and Lan cards to your Adnaco? Thanks.

Hmmm, I don't know what to say.  I was able to move the Optane from my m.2 slot to the Asus card without incident. You should make sure you are not carrying a static charge before the move, but otherwise I wouldn't think it would be a problem. The other card fried because it was very close to a heatpipe.

Ted is the expert on frying Optanes with Asus m.2 cards here, LOL.  I think he has ordered another Optane to try again, but I don't want to talk for him.

Ted is right, I use an Adnaco fiber USB 3.0 adapter for both Ethernet and hard disk access. The USB 3 adapter is powered by a Lps-1.

For my case I have very old casps 2.0 server and asrock j3455B-itx server which has only one pcie slot. So I bought one pcie to usb3.0 adapter card and move external HDD music files input to pcie for better isolation. I am running Daphile so the Ethernet audio output and os on mobo 's USB port have to share the same bus lane. I guess. The pcie card needs power supply to work so I try to figure out how to pass it power from mobo. Is this the best config for mobo with one pcie slot?

Edit: I have learned a good stuff today, managed to download CAPS2.0 Atom mobo and Asrock J3455 block diagrams to check. There is no advantage to use a pcie to usb3 card to shift HDD input to pcie. As for  Atom mobo, the all pcie , usb lanes have to go through Intel NM10 Chipset before they go through DMI to CPU.

For J3455, there is no seperate chipset southbridge design, so all bus lanes direct go to CPU. I wasted on the card which is not expensive but love what I learned.

So my next move is to setup another server using ASUS Z170M-Plus mobo, Intel i7-7700 and running Seasonic 750W Titanium power supply. And not forget Optane and Asus M.2 pcie card. Ohh Yeah! 

On 9/2/2017 at 5:41 AM, lmitche said:

Hmmm, I don't know what to say.  I was able to move the Optane from my m.2 slot to the Asus card without incident. You should make sure you are not carrying a static charge before the move, but otherwise I wouldn't think it would be a problem. The other card fried because it was very close to a heatpipe.

Ted is the expert on frying Optanes with Asus m.2 cards here, LOL.  I think he has ordered another Optane to try again, but I don't want to talk for him.

Ted is right, I use an Adnaco fiber USB 3.0 adapter for both Ethernet and hard disk access. The USB 3 adapter is powered by a Lps-1.

Hi Larry,

I am a little more fortunate than Ted in that I did not fry my Optane but like him I could not make it work with the Asus Hyper M.2 x4 mini card. The Optane could not be detected when put in the Asus PCIe card. But fortunately when put back into the M.2 slot it works again. So could it be because of the motherboard. We both use the Gigabyte z170x-ud5. Or is it because the BIOS? 

3 hours ago, hols said:

Hi Larry,

I am a little more fortunate than Ted in that I did not fry my Optane but like him I could not make it work with the Asus Hyper M.2 x4 mini card. The Optane could not be detected when put in the Asus PCIe card. But fortunately when put back into the M.2 slot it works again. So could it be because of the motherboard. We both use the Gigabyte z170x-ud5. Or is it because the BIOS? 

Hi hols,

On your motherboard only two slots have pcie lanes to the cpu, the two long slots closest to the cpu labeled x16 and x8. You also need to ensure the jumper on the board is set to pcie, not SSD mode. Otherwise I don't know what could be wrong. There are other vendors with m.2 boards so you could try one of those, or perhaps there is a bios setting that matters. My apologies for not being more helpful.

Larry

5 hours ago, lmitche said:

Hi hols,

On your motherboard only two slots have pcie lanes to the cpu, the two long slots closest to the cpu labeled x16 and x8. You also need to ensure the jumper on the board is set to pcie, not SSD mode. Otherwise I don't know what could be wrong. There are other vendors with m.2 boards so you could try one of those, or perhaps there is a bios setting that matters. My apologies for not being more helpful.

Larry

Hi Larry,

I put the Asus card to the second long PCIe slot (x8 one). The first x16 is fitted with the Graphic card for Cuda  off load. And the jumper is set to default which is for pcie. (One need to change the jumper if you put in the Asus Hyper Kit for NVM Express SSD support).  I would probably wait for a while see how others are doing before explore that again. Thanks for the help. In the meantime I would probably dig out my Adnaco  R1BP1B and try putting PCIe SATA conversion  cards to isolate the HDD and ethernet. Any suggestion on PCIe SATA card or PCIe ethernet card. Thanks.

Leung

Hi there,

I have installed my WIN10 onto the Intel optane which is inserted in M.2 slot, and it do have lot of improvements on it. Thanks to all for the share!!!

Meanwhile, I am going to order the Adnaco USB card, and will connect the music USB disk. However, I would like to ask 2 questions on it:

1. Is it better to connect  the DAC to the Adnaco USB (I am using Holo Spring DAC thru USB)?

2. I am using HQPlayer to upsampling my WAV to DSD512, will it be any improvement to put the music WAV onto a RAM drive during the playback? Or direct playback from USB disk thur Adnaco USB card.

Thanks,

Louie

1 hour ago, fitman said:

Hi there,

I have installed my WIN10 onto the Intel optane which is inserted in M.2 slot, and it do have lot of improvements on it. Thanks to all for the share!!!

Meanwhile, I am going to order the Adnaco USB card, and will connect the music USB disk. However, I would like to ask 2 questions on it:

1. Is it better to connect  the DAC to the Adnaco USB (I am using Holo Spring DAC thru USB)?

2. I am using HQPlayer to upsampling my WAV to DSD512, will it be any improvement to put the music WAV onto a RAM drive during the playback? Or direct playback from USB disk thur Adnaco USB card.

Thanks,

Louie

Hi Louie,

The Adnaco brings galvanic isolation on a USB 3 connection which is ideal for disk drive access with a HDD in a uasp enabled enclosure.  I get read and write speeds in the 210 mbps range with my wd black drive. I also have an usb 3 nic plugged into the Adnaco USB.

My DAC is connected via an ISO Regen on a USB 2 motherboard connection.  The ISO Regen delivers galvanic isolation on this second usb chain.

Prior to receiving the ISO Regen I used the Adnaco to provide galvanic isolation for the DAC. The ISO Regen sounds better, and repurposing the Adnaco for HDD and network access added another bump up in SQ as well. 

FYI, I power the Adnaco USB hub with an lps-1 which makes a huge difference in SQ.

1 hour ago, lmitche said:

Hi Louie,

The Adnaco brings galvanic isolation on a USB 3 connection which is ideal for disk drive access with a HDD in a uasp enabled enclosure.  I get read and write speeds in the 210 mbps range with my wd black drive. I also have an usb 3 nic plugged into the Adnaco USB.

My DAC is connected via an ISO Regen on a USB 2 motherboard connection.  The ISO Regen delivers galvanic isolation on this second usb chain.

Prior to receiving the ISO Regen I used the Adnaco to provide galvanic isolation for the DAC. The ISO Regen sounds better, and repurposing the Adnaco for HDD and network access added another bump up in SQ as well. 

FYI, I power the Adnaco USB hub with an lps-1 which makes a huge difference in SQ.

Hi Larry,

Let me test it when I get the Adnaco USB hub, and thanks for your share!!!

11 hours ago, lmitche said:

Hi Louie,

Larry, how much difference did it make moving your music from your internal hd vs. to an ext. hd via the StarTech enclosure via the Adnaco?  Was the LPS mandatory to hear the gains?  Overall, nearly $900 for all three..If you addressed this in another post just mention the thread and I'll seek it out.  

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

42 minutes ago, Forehaven said:

Larry, how much difference did it make moving your music from your internal hd vs. to an ext. hd via the StarTech enclosure via the Adnaco?  Was the LPS mandatory to hear the gains?  Overall, nearly $900 for all three..If you addressed this in another post just mention the thread and I'll seek it out.  

Forehaven, I went to Adnaco from a SATA based internal drive running from a SATA adapter in the m.2 slot.  The shorter I made the SATA cables, the better the sound. This pissed me off as the optimal configuration seemed unachievable. Once the ISO Regen arrived it became clear that I had the gear to run two GI chains, so I did so, continuing to boot Windows from the HDD. The Adnaco chain sounded better than the SATA interface ever did. The SATA controller is now disabled in the BIOS.

The Optane upgrade was the next move once I realized you don't need a z270 motherboard to enjoy the benefits of Optane.

Everyone I know that uses the Adnaco is pleased with the SQ.

I'm sorry but I can't address SQ enhancements in value terms.  Even a $1000 investment for this level of SQ improvement is a steal is audiophile terms.