IGNORED

"Everything Apple"? iMac issues

Hey Bill,

Have you tried cleaning out the dust in your iMac? There is a hidden intake behind where the mounting bracket attaches to the body. I lost mine from over heating due to this. Upon opening it up, I was amazed by how much dust was inside despite occasionally blowing canned air in reverse through the innards.

I am resisting the temptation to post a pic of my Belgian Sheepdogs or Sophie, the Golden I lost to my ex.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

13 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Funny you should mention that.  Every time I move the thing it rains a pile of dust, and I was thinking I should get in there and clean it out with some compressed air (which I squandered cleaning my bike, so I have to go get it).  I haven't seen any direct evidence of overheating, but as you say, it has all the hallmarks.  Thanks for posting that suggestion!

Open it up if you can. There are multiple fans. My culprit was the air intake under the mount that I never even knew existed until I flipped it onto a table. The intake was completely filmed with a layer of dust. I doubt much air could get through, and the canned air didn't work from the exhaust slot - too many paths and not enough force to displace the film. At least take a look at that one. Cleaning that alone would have saved mine methinks. I think I lost my SATA controller, or at least it acted as such.

Forrest:

Just now, 4est said:

Open it up if you can. There are multiple fans. My culprit was the air intake under the mount that I never even knew existed until I flipped it onto a table. The intake was completely filmed with a layer of dust. I doubt much air could get through, and the canned air didn't work from the exhaust slot - too many paths and not enough force to displace the film. At least take a look at that one. Cleaning that alone would have saved mine methinks.

2011 as I recall. Mine had an exhaust slot along the upper rear/back, and intakes at the perforated bottom AND a 30-40mm round grate underneath where the stand mounts to the body. The latter is what screwed me.

Forrest:

2 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Please follow iFixit instructions:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Teardown/11936

Roch

That's a bummer. I miss the OS, but I do not miss their hardware upon moving to the Darkside for DSD512.

Forrest: