IGNORED

Same file as if I ripped it into AIFF?

Looking at your “Everything you need to know about digital audio files,” I know that AIFF is uncompressed. I am still converting my CD collection to ALAC. I am about halfway through, so before I go start my many Prince CDs, I skipped about and did my five U2 albums. I found the “One” CD single, which has about 4 songs. Instead of ripping it, I just decided to keep it as is and copied the songs straight from the CD in AIFF format. I did this because in total the songs only came to about 325 MB in AIFF, and unless they re-release it, I won’t buy it again. Did I end up with the same file as if I ripped it into AIFF?

Since they are in AIFF from the CD itself, and since the EPs are only a few songs, I don't care that much about the space. I am wondering if it is better to rip to AIFF from the CD using XLD or just drag them off the disc? I used bandcamp a couple of times, and to get the best quality, I normally download the AIFF files.

It's a good question; dragging vs ripping. If you use error correction, then ripping should fix any glitches. However, if you drag, theoretically, the operating system should do a file check to ensure that the file is bit-perfect. I'm not sure, however, if anyone has ever tested the to to compare them.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.