hi Similar to something you recently commented on, I like using Apple Music but then buying the cd and ripping lossless onto my home server (I also have iTunes Match).

Now the problem is that when I have added the music via Apple Music to iOS or iTunes AND then subsequently rip the CD lossless to my server I end up having problems. I rather do this as I don't wish to lose play count data.

Usually what happens is the following: if in iTunes or iOS I have added the album to my library; I typically have downloaded the album to my iOS device but not downloaded the album in iTunes; in iTunes it naturally affiliates such tracks as being in the cloud and matches the tracks as Apple Music; If I then rip the cd (ensuring to match the track details identically) what then happens is that I have two identical items for each track in the album... one the Apple lossless rip and one Apple Music; I then ask iTunes to update the iCloud library; When this process finishes I usually have 1 item in the album per track but the problem is that when I look at the details of the track it shows it is apple lossless and shows the location of the file on my hard drive BUT still references the track as Apple Music.

SO FRUSTRATING.

Hoping you can help.

MM

You using a Mac? If so, you can use this AppleScript to copy the info from the old files to the new files.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=copytinforackstotracks

You'd want to copy it, then delete the files, then rip the CD, then paste the info to the ripped files.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

You using a Mac? If so, you can use this AppleScript to copy the info from the old files to the new files.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=copytinforackstotracks

You'd want to copy it, then delete the files, then rip the CD, then paste the info to the ripped files.

I'm using a PC... I used to have a script that worked on the PC to change playcount but that no longer works...