IGNORED

Converting FLAC to WAV questions

Fitz Music

My Olive 4HD produces noisy, crackling results when playing downloaded FLAC files. Awaiting a software fix from Olive, I have found a work-around by converting the files to the WAV format using Max on my iMac, then transferring them to the Olive via ethernet connection.

The files sound good to me, but because of my ignorance, and in absence of a reference I can listen to--the original FLAC files--and because there are several WAV output choices in Max, I don’t know if I’m doing the best job of conversion. Which WAV is the right choice: WavPack, WAVE, Microsoft WAV?

Then there’s the matter of encoder settings. Which WAV, and which encoder setting in Max would be the best choice for an 88/24 download from HD Tracks, for instance?

Which WAV, and which encoder settings would be the best conversion choice for a 44/16 CD quality FLAC?

--FM

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

DBPoweramp Music Converter!

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

This is the cats Meow of audio conversion programs for Windows. Keep the native resolution is my suggestion or you may notice a digital, hi-fish sound.

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad you got two answers, but I don't understand the questions ! haha

I don’t know if I’m doing the best job of conversion. Which WAV is the right choice: WavPack, WAVE, Microsoft WAV?

I don't know Max, but if you are talking about converting from FLAC to WAV, there are two options only : WAV (uncompressed Win version) and AI(F)F (uncompressed Mac version). Notice I am referring to the extensions the files will receive, for your conveniency. I suppose "Microsoft WAV" will create .WAV files. WavPack is again a compressed (though losless) format, and WAVE I don't know.

Then there’s the matter of encoder settings. Which WAV, and which encoder setting in Max would be the best choice for an 88/24 download from HD Tracks, for instance?

Notice that an encoder creates something like FLAC (generally you can adopt that an encoder compresses). A decoder creates the "natively wanted" format again. So, going from FLAC to WAV is decoding.

So no, this is not your answer, but now you can ask the question better.

Which WAV, and which encoder settings would be the best conversion choice for a 44/16 CD quality FLAC?

The "Which WAV" part seems inappropriate here. You just "have" a "PCM Wave" file, and they come in .WAV and in .AIFF (.AIF). They "are" and they are not to choose. For your understanding you could say that this is how they are on the CD.

Next you may create a FLAC from it, and the enncoder settings are not important for the output quality. The quality is always the same, because once you play a FLAC it gets decoded again, and the original "PCM Wave" file emerges again (100% equal to the original). What matters though it the rate of compression, and the higher the number, the smaller the file will be, though the longer it takes to get it there. A setting above 6 only takes longer and hardly shrinks the file more. Anything under 6 makes the file larger, but hardly takes less time.

So use 6. :-)

Notice I am talking the natively (FLAC.exe) used 8 possible settings here, so if you don't recognize that, skip my advise on this.

I hope it is more clear now.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Just to clarify ... Max allows you to choose one of two "libraries" to creat WAV files. Each have slightly different available options but (assuming you select the same option) both will give the same output.

"WAVE" uses the routines built into MacOS X CoreAudio.

"WAV (Microsoft)" uses routines built into libsndfile (an open source library).

As Peter said WavePack is a losslessly compressed audio format.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for your attempt at clarification and instruction, but I find your advice more semantical than technical.

I confessed my ignorance early on in the post, as did you when you said you knew nothing about Max software; that led to your misunderstanding.

Recall that I am working from an iMac, so Windows advice is irrelevant. AIFF is also irrelevant here because I want to move the files, converted from FLAC to WAV into an Olive 4HD, which will not handle iTunes specific material but will accept WAV files. The converted WAV files play correctly in iTunes on my iMac. You are involved, I take it from what is appended to your post, with development of a Windows-based player.

Max has a tab labelled "encoder settings" on the screen in which one chooses a format; that is why I used the terms. I do know the difference between encode and decode.

I don't know what's inappropriate about my question, "Which WAV?" Max lists several WAV associated choices which are confusing due to my admitted ignorance.

So, I am left without a useful answer and the problem with the Olive 4HD continues: The machine will, after an Olive software upgrade, accept 16/44 and 24/96 FLAC without corruption but now cannot play 24/88 FLAC files without egregious noise. My trick of converting FLAC to WAV no longer works; 24/88 FLAC converted to WAV transfers to the Olive as tweeter-frying high-volume electronic noise if I use the Olive prescribed transfer method over wired ethernet. I think the problem lies in Olive's player software--does that seem likely?

I've applied to Olive for help, but their technical support is not reassuring; they fix one element, and another emerges. My befuddled foray into high definition downloads suggests that computer audio is in its Tower of Babel stage. Any help or knowledge anyone on the forum might forward will be much appreciated.

-fm

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

Guest WATERLOGIC

If you want to convert your flac to wav files keeping the same bit / Khz use XLD - there is only one choice there for wav the one at the top of the list - you will get your flacs in wavs and that is what you want ? Or ? .

I am using XLD daily and is one of the best apps for this purpose ! Why don't you try it ?

Cheers !

WL

Thanks for your attempt at clarification and instruction, but I find your advice more semantical than technical.

I am sorry it came to you like that. But of course one who already knows everything appreciates the technical stuff as symantics on the side.

Now, you can debate the rest of your Sunday that I can't know anything because I don't know Max and probably won't even know it's meant for a Mac, or you can try to reread my post and try to get something of it. Everything is in there, inlcuding the unneeded and even unwanted explanation about en-/decoding. Who cares how Max calls it ? as long as you understand. Who cares that I don't know Max ? as long as I understand your question. And that's where at least symantics are important.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)