IGNORED

1 Mac, 2 User Accounts, 2 Apple IDs - iTunes/iCloud Music Library issue

Hi,

My gf and I share a Mac and are having an issue with our iTunes accounts, computer authorization and the 90 day rule.

We have 2 separate User Accounts, and 2 separate Apple IDs but it seems only one of us at a time can download shows or music (or use iCloud Music Library) every 90 days. We get the 90 (x) day countdown warning and this computer can't be transferred for x days warnings.

Is this normal? Any way to fix it? Two separate libraries? I think we already have separate libraries as a result of our separate user accounts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bruce

So you're saying that the 90-day thing applies even with separate user accounts? I wasn't sure about that, but that sure sucks. I don't know if it's normal, or if there's a fix. I'd contact Apple to see what they say.

Thanks for replying Kirk!

Yes, we get the 90 day warning while having two separate user accounts. One of us downloads a show and the other user can't download anything for 90 days. It's odd and baffling. I will contact Apple Support. Thanks.

I'd be interested to hear what Apple says. Because the whole point of having multiple accounts is that each user should be separate. Of course, it would be easy for any user to create more than one account for themselves, but by preventing the latter, they penalize the former.

As an aside, I have accounts in two countries, and I never see those 90 warnings. I guess with different countries they apply it differently. Though I only update apps from the second account, I haven't bought anything there in a couple of years.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.