IGNORED

MyCloud NAS does not stream to Apple TV

Based on Kirk's recent Macworld article on using the WD MyCloud NAS as a media server I bought one. Setup was simple but the one key feature that I sought, eluded me. I wanted to be able to stream my media to my Apple TV without having my Mac and iTunes turned on and running, as stated in the article. I successfully moved my iTunes library to the NAS, streamed from the NAS on my Mac and Apple TV, but only with the Mac running iTunes (Home Sharing is enabled). When the Mac was not running iTunes the Apple TV was unable to "see" my iTunes library on the NAS. Is there some setup step that I missed? Does the MyCloud NAS not support Home Sharing?

I'm stumped.

I'm pretty sure that I was able to see the iTunes library (music only) on the Apple TV 3, when I wrote the article. Now, I can't even see the MyCloud in iTunes any more. I think there was a firmware upgrade recently, and something must have changed. I'll see if I can figure it out.

This said, if you want to stream videos to the Apple TV, I strongly recommend Plex:

http://www.macworld.com/article/3012244/streaming-media/the-best-way-to-watch-media-on-the-new-apple-tv-itunes-home-sharing-vs-plex.html

The MyCloud can run a Plex server, and the Apple TV 4 can run the Plex app. This said, I only use it for videos, the music support isn't yet up to snuff.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

I'm pretty sure that I was able to see the iTunes library (music only) on the Apple TV 3, when I wrote the article. Now, I can't even see the MyCloud in iTunes any more. I think there was a firmware upgrade recently, and something must have changed. I'll see if I can figure it out.

This said, if you want to stream videos to the Apple TV, I strongly recommend Plex:

http://www.macworld.com/article/3012244/streaming-media/the-best-way-to-watch-media-on-the-new-apple-tv-itunes-home-sharing-vs-plex.html

The MyCloud can run a Plex server, and the Apple TV 4 can run the Plex app. This said, I only use it for videos, the music support isn't yet up to snuff.

Kirk;

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at using Plex, but what I was really hoping for was a seamless interface like the Apple TTV has, for pictures, music and video. I guess I'll have to wait until Apple releases an API for their Home Sharing interface, like iTunes has.

Chris