IGNORED

HDtracks download manager...

Sure, but for me the whole point of legally purchasing music is that it's legal. If I wanted to work around legislation, I wouldn't bother to buy music in the first place...

I believe that you are operating under a misconception. While HDtracks has licensing agreements with the record companies that may make it illegal for them to sell downloads outside a geographic area, that does not make it illegal for you to buy and/or possess those downloads. You don't have any contractual relationship with the record companies. As has been pointed out, the system is archaic and out of touch with the reality of today's system of digital downloads. Having paid for the downloaded music, you should be free from any possible liability.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Different countries have different VAT percentages. VPNing into a different country to download is tax fraud.

As I understand it, it might be tax fraud or tax evasion to use a VPN to make a purchase in another country where you would be subject to higher taxes if you were to make the same purchase in your own country. As you can't make the purchase from HDtracks from your own country without using a VPN, I don't see how it would be illegal. IMO, there is no intent to evade taxes by using the VPN and therefore there should be no liability.

Practically speaking, the chances of you facing any liability are probably somewhere between zero and none. And, as others have said, there is no ethical consideration here as there is with illegal "free" downloads.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron