IGNORED

Apple Quietly Increases iTunes Match and iCloud Music Library Limits Above 25,000 Tracks

Apple Quietly Increases iTunes Match and iCloud Music Library Limits Above 25,000 Tracks

If you use iTunes Match or iCloud Music Library, and you have a large library, please post how many tracks are being accepted. You don't need to wait for the match; just see if iTunes allows you to add the library to iCloud Music Library. If you have more than 100,000 tracks in your library, I'd also appreciate a screenshot of any dialog that says you have too many tracks. Thanks.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Hallelujah! (with qualifications). I seem to be able to add stuff well over the 25,00 track limit so far this morning. I had created a smart playlist a long time ago so I could monitor how close I was to the limit; I always hovered right around 25,000, so any time I acquired a few new albums, I'd have to eliminate some others from the iCloud Library. I have another ~20,000 tracks to add, so it will take a while before I can see if the whole enchilada can work - I'm at 26,617 right now. The main downside is that iTunes continues to be very buggy for me, constant 30-second SBBoD occurrences, "sticky" scrolling, missing artwork.....although frankly that's not much different from before this limit-change. I find that quitting iTunes and re-starting usually helps temporarily, but the glitchiness will return sooner or later.

Thanks, Kirk, for breaking the news that some of us are able to finally break through the 25,000 track ceiling!

[ATTACH=full]56[/ATTACH]

I'm at 26,617 right now. The main downside is that iTunes continues to be very buggy for me, constant 30-second SBBoD occurrences […]

I’m at 29,919 now (floating just below the 25,000 limit, glad to see it go!) and I used to have the same issue. Do you have many smart playlists? I had a couple hundred with live updating turned on — many of which would produce playlists with thousands to tens of thousands of tracks. The vast majority weren’t actively used and I pared them down to a few dozen and I get next to no beachballs now while doing track management.

P.S. Hello, fellow diver! :D

iTunes was saying something like... 'matching 37,800 items with iTunes store' or something similar when I stopped it. Which is weird, 'cos I know there are only 35,800 songs in iTunes. Matching stuff other than music? Nope, only around 500 other things - audiobooks, TV, Movies, podcasts & apps.

Anyway, I stopped it before it was finished. Cut too many corners paring my Library down to less than 25,000 originally. Am going to work out how to start again. Have spent last 4 months merging iTunes Music from 4 machines into one, getting tags 'right' according to me and sorting out artwork. The whole library is now complete for the first time ever with all our music from 40-odd years in one place and sorted. Looking forward to it all being online at last.