IGNORED

Need help recreating my iTunes Library

Hello All

I installed the El Capitan betas on a partition. I just installed 10.11.1 and had to nuke the computer and do a clean install to get rid of the stuff SIP cleaned. Now, when I try to recreate my iTunes Library, I notice I no longer have an iTunes Music Library.xml file.

Is there some new way, or a work around, to recreate your iTunes Library?

While awaiting a reply, I checked out the forums and saw a post titled, “Duplicating an iTunes Library.” Otto Nikolaus referenced and pointed to an article by Kirk, so I tried the consolidating method and it worked – after a very long while. As of yet, I still don’t have an iTunes Music Library.xml file.

New maybe with 12.2, though it perhaps selected by default if you already have a XML file.

Preferences >Advanced > Share iTunes Library XML with other applications

For other parts of rebuilding a library, I have scripts that export selected tracks to MySQL, in case I ever need to rebuild or want to delete an album and re-add later, to keep track count and last played. Have never shared the scripts; they might need some cleanup, but if Doug or Kirk want to take a look, fix up and share, can do.

You have to have an XML file, whether you share it or not.

Did you not have a backup?

If you lost the XML file, you can sort-of recreate the library by adding all the media files, but you'll lose all your playlists, ratings, play counts, etc. In the Advanced prefs.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

You have to have an XML file, whether you share it or not.

Did you not have a backup?

If you lost the XML file, you can sort-of recreate the library by adding all the media files, but you'll lose all your playlists, ratings, play counts, etc. In the Advanced prefs.

I thought iTunes would recreate the .xml file from the .itl file. I've just renamed the .xml file so iTunes wouldn't find it, started up iTunes and, sure enough, a new .xml file is created. Of course, you need a valid .itl file for this to work. Is the OP also missing that?

I thought iTunes would recreate the .xml file from the .itl file. I've just renamed the .xml file so iTunes wouldn't find it, started up iTunes and, sure enough, a new .xml file is created. Of course, you need a valid .itl file for this to work. Is the OP also missing that?

That's what I assume. If there's no XML file, then there's no .itl file (or he hasn't yet launched iTunes).

However, you can use the XML file to recreate a library, if it's corrupted, or if you've deleted the .itl file.

That's what I assume. If there's no XML file, then there's no .itl file (or he hasn't yet launched iTunes).

However, you can use the XML file to recreate a library, if it's corrupted, or if you've deleted the .itl file.

Yes, I do have the original xml file and did indeed open iTunes. I also have the .itl file as well.

Today, I have created a new partition and installed another fresh version of El Capitan. When I look at iTunes in that partition, there is still no xml file. Since I won’t use the partition as my main storage for iTunes, I just upgraded to 12.3.1.23 and I still don’t have an xml file.

I added some music files to test this out. Using iTunes in the new partition, I tried Otto’s steps to regenerate a new one xml file, but those steps didn’t regenerate a new xml file. Simply put, I have no xml.

When upgrading to a new OS, I have always clean installed. I have never had an issue in the past because I have always found the xml file in its usual place. I have owned a Mac since 2005. Not having an xml file is a first for me.

From what everything says, it seems to suggest the xml file will not be created if you do not have, off by default, the new 12.2 preference to share an xml. A new install of iTunes wouldn't have it and possibly wouldn't read it if the file is there and the preference off. Likely, any one upgrading to 12.2 would already have the xml so the preference was in that case on.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201610

From what everything says, it seems to suggest the xml file will not be created if you do not have, off by default, the new 12.2 preference to share an xml. A new install of iTunes wouldn't have it and possibly wouldn't read it if the file is there and the preference off. Likely, any one upgrading to 12.2 would already have the xml so the preference was in that case on.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201610

That never occurred to me. I switch off Preferences > Advanced > Share iTunes Library XML and my existing .xml file disappears. I switch the pref back on and the .xml file is recreated. So, the absence of the XML file is nothing to worry about unless you plan to use it in another app.

That never occurred to me. I switch off Preferences > Advanced > Share iTunes Library XML and my existing .xml file disappears. I switch the pref back on and the .xml file is recreated. So, the absence of the XML file is nothing to worry about unless you plan to use it in another app.

I disagree. Not having it means you can't rebuild your library if it gets corrupted. I recall a few years ago I had problems with Genius. I was writing an iTunes book, and got a contact at Apple who was trying to help me. I tried every possible thing to get it to work, and the Apple guy suggested I rebuild the library from the XML file. That fixed it. So the XML file can actually be "cleaner" than the .itl file.

I disagree. Not having it means you can't rebuild your library if it gets corrupted. I recall a few years ago I had problems with Genius. I was writing an iTunes book, and got a contact at Apple who was trying to help me. I tried every possible thing to get it to work, and the Apple guy suggested I rebuild the library from the XML file. That fixed it. So the XML file can actually be "cleaner" than the .itl file.

Good point. I see that you describe the process here http://www.mcelhearn.com/how-to-rebuild-your-itunes-library/. I shall now reinstate my XML file. Thanks!

Good point. I see that you describe the process here http://www.mcelhearn.com/how-to-rebuild-your-itunes-library/. I shall now reinstate my XML file. Thanks!

And also back it up regularly; I use Time Machine, which ensures that I have plenty of backups of both the .itl and .xml files.

Yes, of course. I take it that restoring from a backup wasn't the solution to the problem you had with Genius?

No, I had tried. The .itl file itself was corrupted, which is why the XML file was able to recreate the library without whatever corruption there is. My guess is that the .itl file is more like a database, whereas the XML file is a flat file with metadata. It was an enlightening experience, actually, to see how fragile the .itl file / database is, and how much of a savior the XML file could be.

I have installed a new SSD in my 2007 iMac. Added the maximum of 6GB of memory. The old girl is running faster than ever. I then updated to El Capitan. My iTunes library reappeared from the cloud BUT the music i had ripped to ALAC were now AAC. I did back up my library on an external drive. I then proceeded to copy back the entire library to iTunes WITHOUT erasing the current library. Now i have 2 of everything.. Please tell me step by step how to remove the AAC files that have now been replaced by my ALAC files and the AAC files that were duplicated in the foolish move i made. Thank you Larry

No, I had tried. The .itl file itself was corrupted, which is why the XML file was able to recreate the library without whatever corruption there is. My guess is that the .itl file is more like a database, whereas the XML file is a flat file with metadata. It was an enlightening experience, actually, to see how fragile the .itl file / database is, and how much of a savior the XML file could be.

The XML file is plain text; I think the idea is to make the content accessible to other apps in an open standard. The .itl file is a database designed for efficiency/performance above all else. I think the 2 have the same content but in difference forms.

I have installed a new SSD in my 2007 iMac. Added the maximum of 6GB of memory. The old girl is running faster than ever. I then updated to El Capitan. My iTunes library reappeared from the cloud BUT the music i had ripped to ALAC were now AAC. I did back up my library on an external drive. I then proceeded to copy back the entire library to iTunes WITHOUT erasing the current library. Now i have 2 of everything.. Please tell me step by step how to remove the AAC files that have now been replaced by my ALAC files and the AAC files that were duplicated in the foolish move i made. Thank you Larry

I think you have 2 free options:-

1. Delete the whole thing then reinstate from the backup. Obviously the iTunes Library file needs to be restored as well to keep it all in step.

2. In iTunes, use Songs format. In View > View Options > Show Columns, make sure Date Added is selected. You can now sort on that column and easily select and delete multiple items based on the date.

It is wonderful how many additional commands are available thru modifiers. Often you can find them by holding down a combo of modifiers while looking at a menu, for example highlight a file in the Finder, go to the File menu and try option or shift-option. In the case of deleting from a smart playlist, it doesn't show up so it's only findable thru documentation or experimenting.

Scott Kelby used to have a series for OS X Killer Tips with various app tips; sad there hasn't been a volume in a while.

It is wonderful how many additional commands are available thru modifiers. Often you can find them by holding down a combo of modifiers while looking at a menu, for example highlight a file in the Finder, go to the File menu and try option or shift-option. In the case of deleting from a smart playlist, it doesn't show up so it's only findable thru documentation or experimenting.

Scott Kelby used to have a series for OS X Killer Tips with various app tips; sad there hasn't been a volume in a while.

There's Apple's list of Mac keyboard shortcuts at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236 but these never seem to be complete. I've just found another list I've not seen before at http://www.danrodney.com/mac/, but still no iTunes ones.