IGNORED

Can anyone answer this question about iMac/ iTunes

I already downloaded the (extremely long) manual. And, yes, there's an app, but it looks pretty clunky. Do you use it?

To be honest, no. We tend to use its own remote or AirPlay. Others might like the app, though.

As for the wattage, 40W is still decent, but I assume that most people buying this use it in a small enough space that it's not a problem. I wish I had known about this device when I replaced my office system last year. I would have bought this, as it's small, and does pretty much everything I need. In my office, I have a Denon amp and CD player; together they cost just a bit more than the N9, but the amp is only 50W. (However, it does have two speaker zones, which is a feature I wanted.)

It's a shame the opportunity to tell you didn't arise. We've had ours since Jan 2013. They seem to get great reviews everywhere. As for power, even 25W is probably enough for a second system.

First impressions of the Denon N9: great device. It's been a long time since I've had proper speakers in my bedroom, and it makes a huge difference. It's a finicky device to understand; I did skim through the manual to make sure I understand everything it can do. But so far I like it.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Larry, as I said elsewhere, high end streamer makers like Linn and Naim recommend ethernet, not Wi-Fi, and Linn don't even give you a built-in Wi-Fi option. This must be for reliability, not bandwidth, as current Wi-Fi is easily fast enough for audio, even hi-res, and it seems that you have found this yourself.

AirPlay is a form of "push" streaming. I'm not aware of any push-streaming system that allows hi-res. There is no issue with any of your network hardware: it's AirPlay that limits you to Red Book quality and the ATV has its own limitations (48k, I think) anyway. I hope I'm wrong but I think the only way you can play hi-res is with a "pull" streamer. There are lots of products that do that. Cost no object, I would get a Linn DSM but there are many others, such as Pioneer and Sony. Another option would be to separate the networking and DAC/audio functions. Something like a DroidPlayer or Squeezebox can pull the music from your library and pass it on to an external DAC (or amp with built-in DAC), but I don't know if this would be as good as a proper hi-fi streamer. Since the demise of our ATV I've been using a DroidPlayer to stream from our NAS to the main Linn system and I have to say that even using the DP's 3.5 mm analogue output it sounds not bad at all (for £60!). I only have a couple of hi-res tracks (free samples from Linn) but I'll have to give them a try.

I've just remembered another product, the Arcam Airdac, probably the cheapest audiophile streamer that does hi-res pull streaming, over both Wi-Fi and ethernet. It also does AirPlay, but with the usual limitations. http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rSeries,Wireless-DACs,airdac.htm

• 5 months later...

So I bought the Denon N9 based on Otto's recommendation, and on reviews I read. It worked well for several months, but it no longer works with AirPlay. I've reset the network settings countless times, and it works for a few hours or a few days, but then fails, sometimes while I'm streaming something to it. I would recommend avoiding this device; it's really not fit for purpose (if you want an AirPlay receiver).

So I bought the Denon N9 based on Otto's recommendation, and on reviews I read. It worked well for several months, but it no longer works with AirPlay. I've reset the network settings countless times, and it works for a few hours or a few days, but then fails, sometimes while I'm streaming something to it. I would recommend avoiding this device; it's really not fit for purpose (if you want an AirPlay receiver).

That's a shame and seems most unlike a brand like Denon. I take it you've tried the usual factory reset, firmware update, etc.? Are you still in warranty? I have to say our 3-year old N5 still works fine for both push (Airplay) and pull (DLNA) streaming.

(Just for the record, I recommended the CEOL Piccolo N5, an earlier model, since replaced by the N4. These lack FM radio and a CD player, although you can connect 30-pin iOS devices to a built-in dock, and other devices to USB or normal auxiliary line-in RCA phonos. We didn't need the CD player and this seemed to be the part most likely to be unreliable!)

Yes, I've reset it a dozen times, checked for firmware updates, etc. It's being returned to the vendor - an Amazon marketplace vendor - to get it fixed.

I did want the CD player. But the main use is AirPlay, and that simply doesn't work well. I don't use internet radio, but that fails a lot too.

• 7 months later...

As far as I can work out, AirPlay is not really fundamentally any different to other forms of streaming. Pull/Push, it's the same really. However the point is any streaming service is specific and both ends need to talk that same protocol. It's not just a question of having an ethernet connection (wired or wireless - it's all ethernet). There must be a means to deal with the stream and also to understand the protocol standard being used and as we know, the problem with standards is there's so many of them :-)

Regarding Kirk's comment about AV receivers, most Yamaha offerings these days with ethernet also include AirPlay (I have one here) so any Apple device can stream music directly to the receiver. The network connection can also be used for other network services like 'Internet Radio' (an oxymoron if nothing else) and to control the receiver. Unfortunately Yamaha cripple the latter and provide the ability to turn it on and off but not much more. Full configuration still needs to be done manually at the device. Shame really. Why don't manufacturers ever 'get it'. My Panasonic TV has ethernet and they even provide an iOS app to control it. But in this case, you CANNOT turn it on over the network and have to use IR, manual button pushing or rely on the HDMI link to automatically turn it on which only works on some HDMI inputs and not all source devices offer such a feature. How can they spend so much on design and yet fall down on such basics. Beggars belief.