IGNORED

24 bit / 96 KHz USB DAC List

I don't know if the offer was over or if it was something else. It happened twice though: early Saturday afternoon and then again in the evening. When trying to d/l, it would ask for permission to install an Active X component (DRM related). When permission was granted, the website would return to the shopping cart showing the music. the only option was to d/l it again. Repeat endlessly. Well, I only looped 3 or 4 times before quitting. All my Windows software is up-to-date and that machine is near-flawless in operation. Oh well. Better luck next time, I hope.

I AM listening to the Eagles FLAC download (via the Mac) you pointed to here on CA right now via 'Cog' playing the FLAC files (16/44.1). .....It sounds like a CD. ...... it seems well done so far though. Only took 70 min. to download 98+ minutes of music (Deluxe edition) and the PDF of the insert. I was web surfing and posting here the whole time too. The Eagles site put up a very nice download manager as well. Permission had to be granted for their website's security certificate as it was "unknown" - what the hell, I DID give them my CC number..... It has been a good experience so far - haven't heard the whole album yet, or tried converting to .aif for iTunes and moving it to discs (2 CD set) or pod. The DRM jury is still out.... 8^)

markr

- The title track 'Long Road Out of Eden' just started. REALLY nice intro.

Yes, I was using IE. Latest version with all available updates. SIGH. I have an account there now. I will try a purchase from them instead in a reasonable amount of time from now.

EAGLES download:

Yes. Point, click, go about your business. Get great sound. Priceless. I am listening to the .aif audio from Long Road Out of Eden in iTunes now. No problem moving the files over using Max. I'm thinking I like this album! Not ALL of it, but a significant portion. .....Is it possible that the .aif audio could sound better than the FLAC? It seems a bit more coherent and precisely imaged this way. Hmmm.

After a few more listens and an attempt to burn to disc (just to check the DRM out - there was no info on the website about that..) and then putting it on the iPod, I'll put something up in "Right Now I'm Listening to...."

I DEFINITELY recommend purchasing music this way. ....thinking about getting the ULTRA broadband option at my ISP now.......

markr

Another question to ask DAC manufacturers is whether the USB input of a given DAC operates Natively or using custom drivers. Native will be the most compatible and most direct stream, minimizing the risk of DSP. Custom drivers usually require re-configuring for different sample-rates, etc. Not even to mention the headaches of getting different drivers to happily co-exist within an operating system.

Elias Gwinn[br]Applications Engineer[br]Benchmark Media Systems[br]Please help us spread the word about our free web-series www.BenchmarkMedia.com/MastersFromTheirDay - a video series about recording music - w/ FREE 88/24 DOWNLOADS[br]

After reading Elias Gwinn's comments about DAC conversion I contacted the Stello folks again and this is their response:

The April Music stello DA220 MkII doesn't utilize any firmware between USB input receiver and the DAC. However, the USB signal is converted to S/PDIF as soon as possible to eliminate any system noises in the signal. There are other companies who promote USB signals to be fed directly to DAC without the S/PDIF conversion. Our lab tests resulted in equal or better performance from our current scheme. Furthermore, during the recent CES, many people preferred the sound from USB input than more direct I2S input during demo of our DA100 Signature DAC. I2S would be the most pure digital transmission by theory.

I'm still in the dark! I don't even know what I2S is?? Back to my Wiki search. Cheers,

RHA

I've heard really good things about this product for the price to performance ratio. it appears to do 24/96 via USB without downsampling, but still no 100% clarification in the manual.

You can get one at B&H Photo for 144.95 US Dollars. They ship almost anywhere in the world and are a fabulous merchant to deal with. I have spent way too much money with them on photography related purchases, so i do have lots of experience with them. Highly recommended.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Steve in BR - the point of 24/96 DAC's is not necessarily to just play native 24/96 tracks. I exclusively play 16/44.1 tracks through my Spoiler DAC after they are upsampled on-the-fly to 24/96. It simply sounds better IMO, more live, more dynamics, smoother vocals and more detailed. With the right upsampling algorithm you can get a truly hi-res sound from CD tracks. Not all upsampling software and hardware is the same, so you should take what you hear from others with a grain of salt. At CES I demonstrated this to a LOT of listeners and they all preferred the 24/96 upsampled playback to the native 44.1

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

• 1 month later...

Chris,

BTW the new Cosecant has modules like the Crimson and will have 24/96 (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96) ASYNC support really soon.

The length of cable is determined by what is called the EYE pattern. That is the way differential data is sent from the host to the device. If you are doing low speed stuff the EYE pattern at 15 feet looks just great. But if you are doing full or high speed it looks like crap. When it looks like crap you get data errors and that's when things sound bad.

You cannot use multiple hubs to get longer distances. I have found that does not work.

You can use the opticis with an approved power supply to I think 100 feet.

Better yet buy a mac mini turn it into a headless server and put it right there and your done.

Thanks

Gordon

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Here a really nice DAC M2tech Young 384/32 D/A converter it do up to 32bit/384KHz from usb they cost a round $1200

Link: http://www.m2tech.biz/young.html

LinnLP12SE/SoleVIIIsubchassis/MoberDCsystempowersupply/Tranquility/Trampolin2/RoksanNima Unipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom3 L/Whest PS30R phono stage/ Cambridge Audio Azur 851A/Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC Firewire Audio Interface/Mytek Stereo192 ADC /TASCAM DA-3000 DSD Recorder/PCaudiolabs ROKbox MC7xs DAW[br]

To the last two posters... You do realise that this thread apart from the post before yours is OVER 3 years old?

I think that post was stiring and reopening old material.

I think we're all aware there is a large number of DACs capable of 24/96 and greater via USB now.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.