IGNORED

Problems directly accessing iTUnes library upon start-up

rayhil

I am running a Mac with an internal drive for the OS and an external drive for my iTunes library and music. Both drives show up on my desktop. When I open iTunes, it asks me to choose the library every time. When I choose the default, it says the library can’t be found and I get a list box that I open (which selects the iTunes folder on the external drive), close the box and then choose that library and it works. I can’t figure out how to simply have it access that library when I open iTunes. I’ve also checked the simple solution of ensuring that in the advanced settings under the iTunes menu it shows the /volume/[external drive, properly named]/iTunes/iTunes media, which seems right since that’s the library on the external drive that works. Under the general settings, however, it shows a library with my name. Does this matter? Is it looking on the internal drive?

I don’t think so. If I disconnect the external drive and try to open iTunes, I get a message (no matter where I point on the internal drive) which says iTunes library can’t be found.

Any help in figuring this out is appreciated.

MBP13-128gb ssd using VoiceOver to hear the screen, iTunes, Ayre QB-9, McIntosh mx119 & mc207, Thiel CS2.4

Hi Ray and Clay,

I had this problem in the past. Try this...

First test:

* turn off computer and external drive

* re-boot computer

* leave external drive off

* launch iTunes

* select the iTunes Library located on the internal drive

If this works, then your external drive may not be mounting properly. If so, try this…

Second test:

* switch external drive off

* turn off computer

* boot computer

* wait for desktop to fully load and then turn on external drive

* wait for external drive to mount and appear on the desktop

* open external drive folder and locate iTunes Library file

* launch iTunes

* select iTunes Library on the external drive

If this works, then you should be all set. If this does not work, then you may have a corrupted iTunes Library file.

Third test:

* open external drive folder and locate iTunes library file

* rename Library file by adding .OLD to the file name (you can always change it back)

* copy and paste the iTunes Library file from your internal drive onto the external drive

* repeat the applicable steps in test #2

I hope one of these steps work for you. Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/

Hi Chris,

Happy New Year to you sir. Speaking of which, one of my New Year’s resolutions is to post more often. Hope Ray is able to work things out...

Sending my best,

Chris

Amarra 3.0.3/iTunes-->AQVOX USB PS-->Acromag USB Isolator-->Ayre QB-9-->Ayre K-5xeMP-->W4S SX-500-->Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Super Towers-->SVS SB12-Plus (L&R). Cables: Nordost, Transparent, LessLoss, Analysis Plus & Pangea. Dedicated line with isolated power conditioning per component: PS Audio & Furman. Late 2012 Mac Mini 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7 (16 GB, 1TB Fusion, 6TB ext via Tbolt). External drives enclosure http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f7-disk-storage-music-library-storage/silent-enclosure-external-hard-drives-7178/