IGNORED

Very Slow iTunes 12.2.1

I am "using" iTunes 12.2.1 on a Mac Book Pro. Upon opening, or doing practically anything at all, I get the long-spinning rainbow beach ball.

Want to edit a file? Beach ball.

Update iCloud Music Library? Beach ball?

Delete a track? Beach ball.

Click on a track? Beach ball.

There is a thread about this in the Apple Support Communities:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/28665032?ac_cid=tw123456#28665032

I have twice attempted the proposed solution of logging out of the iTunes store, and logging back in. Does not work. Someone suggested deleting and reinstalling iTunes. Subsequent reports are that this does not work, either. This does not seem to be a universal problem, or maybe it is.

Any better suggestions? Its practically unusable.

Hmm... First I've heard of it, though I see a number of people are seeing this issue, based on the forum thread you link to.

Try turning off wifi while doing something in iTunes.

I'd also look for any third-party tools that interact with iTunes.

Try launching iTunes in safe mode: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203395

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Its 50 mps, and the computer is about 5 feet from the router. Match took a while, but its completed.

The problem seems to be isolated at this point to adding tracks to the library, and deleting tracks. Other actions where it happened previously -- editing tracks, scrolling, searching -- seem to be rectified.

Yep. Tried that first, then recreated the library.

In fact, its practically unusable tonight. Scrolling generates a spinning beach ball. Searching generates a beach ball. Tons of tracks are listed multiple times.

I've used iTunes for more than a decade. Even the darkest days of wrangling it on a Windows machine were not this bad.

Well, this was odd. Most of the regular playlists had been duplicated -- or worse -- with random tracks thrown in from the library without any rhyme or reason whatsoever. I deleted all of the duplicate, triplicate and quadrupled playlists (it took 45 minutes). Seems to be running better, although not optimal. We'll see what happens over the next couple of days.

Now this is shocking. All of the duplicate playlists made their unwelcome return, and then some. One was duplicated 7 times, with random tracks strewn about. There is a playlist called "Top 100." ITunes created one called "Top 101" and another one called "Top 102." Very nice.

I turned off iCloud Music Library on my phone, turned it back on, and re-loaded the library. The duplicate playlists showed up, even after they were deleted on the Mac.

Although the spinning beach ball appears much less often with wi-fi turned off, it still pops up from time-t0-time in that mode, so it is not just a problem connecting to the iTunes store. All of the other supposed solutions mentioned elsewhere, particularly on the Apple Support forums -- turn off "store" "podcasts" etc. in parental controls -- do not work.

Is this going to be a constant game of whack-a-mole? I have to be constantly vigilant while attempting to use this.

• 3 weeks later...