IGNORED

How would you make iTunes better?

I'd like to have a Switch Library button.

It would also be nice if I could have an Add to App (HQ Player) or Open with App (HQ Player) option by selecting and right-clicking a few tracks.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 1 month later...

itunes should be updated to play other file formats, especially flac (including transferring betwwen computer and device) and maybe dsf, in the resolutions specified in the file.  I don't know if iPhone/iPod touch/iPad are capable of resultions higher than 16/44.1 -- where this is the case, iTunes should still be made to play files with resultion higher than 16/44.1 without downconversion, when using an external DAC. When using the Onkyo HF player, it is a pain in the neck to transfer the high res files to the device.

mQa is dead!

On 9/11/2017 at 9:09 AM, lucretius said:

itunes should be updated to play other file formats, especially flac (including transferring betwwen computer and device) and maybe dsf, in the resolutions specified in the file.  I don't know if iPhone/iPod touch/iPad are capable of resultions higher than 16/44.1 -- where this is the case, iTunes should still be made to play files with resultion higher than 16/44.1 without downconversion, when using an external DAC. When using the Onkyo HF player, it is a pain in the neck to transfer the high res files to the device.

FLAC playback is supported in iOS 11. 

14 hours ago, lucretius said:

I'm just loading iOS 11 on my iPod Touch now.

I put a 16.44.1 flac file in my iCloud drive.  With the new Files app, I was able to transfer the file to the iPod Touch. However, when clicking on the filename within the Files app, it did not play. Further, neither the music app nor the Onkyo HF Player app have access to this flac file.  So how do you make this work?

mQa is dead!

1) Support external tagging.  Some people just want to use iTunes to get music on to their devices and not be forced to manage their music with iTunes.  ex) When I fix tags in my files, delete albums, rename album folders I want iTunes to be smart enough to pick up on it not force me to wipe and rescan.

2) The obvious one is support FLAC.

Now I find it easier to just subscribe to Apple Music instead of put my own music on my iDevices.  Financially this is a win for Apple and probably why they don't fix iTunes.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

On 9/13/2017 at 1:18 PM, lucretius said:

I put a 16.44.1 flac file in my iCloud drive.  With the new Files app, I was able to transfer the file to the iPod Touch. However, when clicking on the filename within the Files app, it did not play. Further, neither the music app nor the Onkyo HF Player app have access to this flac file.  So how do you make this work?

It turns out that Apple did not provide the touted flac support to the iPod Touch 6G or the iPad Mini 4.  However, files can still be passed to the Onkyo HF Player app via iTunes 12.7 "File Sharing" tab. 

mQa is dead!