IGNORED

Changing Artist photos and banners in Music app

Wanted to follow up on the article by Kirk where he played with the MediaLibrary.sqlitedb file.

1. I was able to change artist thumb photos pushed by apple into those i prefer myself.

To achieve that i opened iExplorer, went to Media>iTunes Artwork>112x112

I then went through all those folders and whenever i found the little black and white thumbnail apple pushes, I added my own instead.

Those numbers are always the same, John Lennon in folder 03, JAY Z folder 05 etc.

Even after resetting phone to factory reset and re syncing music from a clean wipe, all artists went in same older as i've originally discovered them in 5-6 months ago.

So changing artist photos pushed my apple is no problem with iExplorer. The Apple photos never come back.

2. Now as far as some artists with missing photos, those artists don't have photos in iTunes Store and therefore they don't have a photo on the phone Music too. It just appends a random album cover for those. But i have a workaround for this.. Just change the cover for one of the songs of that artist to the photo you want and upload that song first. After that syncs upload all the rest of songs by that artist. Now it will show the photo you chose.

3. In the new iOS update Apple added a new view for artists, when you click on the artists they have a big banner now of their photo. You can change these same way you change little artist thumb i posted above in part 1., but instead go to Media>iTunes Artwork>Originals. You can actually have a different photo for thumbnail of artist and artists banner photo. I have many screenshots of my work if anyone wants them emailed.

The only question I have is if anyone knows how to manipulate the MediaLibrary.sqlitedb file to give artists with missing photos in iTunes store a photo. You can maybe add store ID of another artist so that it generates a photo and a banner photo. I actually played with this and was able to change some, but then i had music crashing.

1. It's interesting that the artists stay in the same number folders. I doubt that this would be the case, however, if after the factor reset you synced only part of your library first. I think the artists in your library get added in a specific order, sort of alphabetically. I know I see that when I do a factor reset; first one song of each album is added, and they're in artist order, IIRC.

2. Yes, because it generally grabs the cover of the first song that copies. But that's a lot of work to get artist photos.

3. Yes. But, again, a lot of work.

I think messing with the sqlite file is risky. I think that, when you add something like you're doing, you need to make sure that you've entered data in every field for that record, some of which you won't be able to figure out. I admire your inventiveness though. :-)

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Once you actually know which folders the cover is stored in, its very simple. I have a list of bookmarks in iExplorer. I guess ill have to wait for apple to add the missing artists's photos in iTunes and then find them in folders and replace. But since they started pushing this, none of my missing artists got a thumb. Heres some of my list of folders example. Again, this is for changing artists thumb or header image inner music app.

03 John Lennon

05 JAY Z

0a Enigma

0d Franz Ferdinand

10 Arctic Monkeys, Frank Sinatra

14 Billy Joel

1a Queen

24 Pink Floyd

25 Andrea Bocelli

29 Dean Martin

3a Kasabian

3f The Smiths

44 Drake, Franco Battiato

• 7 months later...
Wanted to follow up on the article by Kirk where he played with the MediaLibrary.sqlitedb file.

1. I was able to change artist thumb photos pushed by apple into those i prefer myself.

I then went through all those folders and whenever i found the little black and white thumbnail apple pushes, I added my own instead.

Those numbers are always the same, John Lennon in folder 03, JAY Z folder 05 etc.

Even after resetting phone to factory reset and re syncing music from a clean wipe, all artists went in same older as i've originally discovered them in 5-6 months ago.

So changing artist photos pushed my apple is no problem with iExplorer. The Apple photos never come back.

2. Now as far as some artists with missing photos, those artists don't have photos in iTunes Store and therefore they don't have a photo on the phone Music too. It just appends a random album cover for those. But i have a workaround for this.. Just change the cover for one of the songs of that artist to the photo you want and upload that song first. After that syncs upload all the rest of songs by that artist. Now it will show the photo you chose.

3. In the new iOS update Apple added a new view for artists, when you click on the artists they have a big banner now of their photo. You can change these same way you change little artist thumb i posted above in part 1., but instead go to Media>iTunes Artwork>Originals. You can actually have a different photo for thumbnail of artist and artists banner photo. I have many screenshots of my work if anyone wants them emailed.

The only question I have is if anyone knows how to manipulate the MediaLibrary.sqlitedb file to give artists with missing photos in iTunes store a photo. You can maybe add store ID of another artist so that it generates a photo and a banner photo. I actually played with this and was able to change some, but then i had music crashing.

Bruh, How did u add pics to an artist that have none. I couldn't understand!

• 1 month later...

keen as a bean to discuss how to do this with you or anyone else in the know!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has any simple workaround been discovered yet when it comes to this barrier that doesn't require changing the album artwork altogether? I've tried one method to get this to work but it was a failure. (I'm gonna use "X" for the artist missing an image and "Y" for one that has one) I've tried changing the name of artist "X" in the file info to the name of artist "Y" and then using your method to change the artist "Y" auto-generated image to artist "X", but then there was no way to change the name displayed without reverting everything.

• 2 months later...