IGNORED

Denafrips Ares vs Pontus (OS)

A bit of reflection between the Ares vs Pontus:

Comparing the Ares to Pontus On "OS" mode. 

Before I go any further, let me just say that my observations about these two pieces is just that; an observation between the two Denafrips.

The Ares compared to other DAC that I have heard and owned, is fantastic DAC to own for that price. If one contemplating climb up the Denafrips ladder,great. One may choose to keep the Ares and use it in a second system.  But, if one chooses to stay with the Ares ,you are still head of the curve from what's readily available out there. 

The Ares in its own right is a great DAC for the price. 
I sold my Schiit Bifrost 4490 after I heard the first notes from the Ares. 

Now , Ares vs Pontus ( OS )mode, Assuming that the  Ares only operates in OS mode. I'm using USB. 

Pontus is a tad bit under double of what the the Ares can deliver ( meaning:  I felt that was getting about 150-60% of the Ares can dish out) 
 On clarity , intelligibility; with the Pontus there is more micro dynamics, more transient, a bit larger stage and more headroom and a better sense of size and scale. The Pontus sonic character is cleaner, livelier, more presence and emotions. Instruments separation is better and the Pontus is a bit more natural .
Again, with the Pontus as good as the Ares is, I find myself thinking that as much as I love what I was hearing from the Ares, I found that the Pontus is much more easier to listen to, it's much more easier to follow the music.
 It's easier to get drifted deeper and deeper into the music , that speaks volumes for the Pontus . 

Now my question is maybe I should have listened to Alvin and got me the Venus or the Terminator..?
We don't know what the future holds, but for now, I am extremely happy to have the Pontus in my house till or if I decide to go up the chain ( Terminator ) 
I have said before : the terminator must be something very very special if the Ares and Pontus can sound so freaking good. 
I don't how you guys do it , but, well done Denafrips people , we've been waiting, and you guys have delivered. 

Next time ,

Pontus: OS vs NOS

IMG_4460.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

As much I like  Schiit their products, ( I still own modi used in son's system and mani as back up phono)

The Schiit bifrost 4490 was no match for the Denafrips Ares. The Ares was better in all areas compared to the 4490.

First thing one will notice comparing the Ares to the 4490 is absence of digital glare in the Ares. its quieter, more natural sounding, less fatiguing. better presentation, smoother, better presence,tonally more accurate. etc...

The Bifrost 4490 is ok to own if no Ares is available.

If you are using the 4490 and you're curious about the Ares, GO FOR THE ARES.

The only problem with the Ares is that once one start to listen to it, one probably will feel the need to check out what's up the Denafrips ladder, As I did. 

My Denafrips Terminator is arriving Thursday.

Hope this help

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

Sorry for the late response. I just got back from a vacation.

now , as for how the Terminator compared to, I guess the Pontus; well, I can tell you for sure that the terminator is on another level. Sadly I did not get to audition the Venus which I assume would be the closest to the level of refinement the Terminator provides. The Terminator is one of the most coherent /natural /well controlled sound I have heard in my house .

I don't perceive any discontinuation between highs,mids nor in bass. As a matter of experience, The bass is more tuneful,more powerful and most importantly, musical.

My Terminator is here to stay. 

Mated with Altec 604E 

Almarrow A318B

Q-Audio Tao interconnect..

One is never in bad company with a Denafrips DAC , but , if one can reach for the Terminator, do so.

Guy