IGNORED

my initial experience with Pure Vinyl

cfmsp

Following Steve's advice, I grouped the HD Tracks together as a gapless "album"--it is working like a charm now. I noticed PV will scan and load about 8 tracks of 24/88.2 resolution and after the 8th tracked has played, it will scan and load the remaining 6 tracks of a given playlist.

t

The music I've been having problems with playing Gapless are mostly from Linn:

Albums from Linn Records:

1. Messiah (Dublin Version, 1742) Dunedin Consort (88.2/24)

2. Wagner/Dressler The Symphonic Ring Duisburg Philharmonic (96/24)

3. Bach Matthew Passion Dunedin Consort (88.2/24)

HDTracks:

Mahler 8 Symphony Maazel New York Philharmonic. (96/24)

Orff Carmina Burana London Symphony (88/24)

The tracks load into memory and play only the first track with these titles.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

I have been using PV without incident for a month or two and really like it sonically....here are some screen shots of basic settings in case they are of any use to anybody.

Also a reminder of the "Get Info" screen in iTunes that once you have grouped and selected your gapless tracks - you need to make sure they are indicated as gapless.

These are not the only settings that work of course, you can try upsampling, get rid of the metres etc. But it's a good starting point and it should work fine. Any of the activated buttons show as green.

Cheers,

Steve

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

Guest WATERLOGIC

Hmm, interesting ...

I could not find the site confusing and the installation was a glimpse and everything works in the first go. The app is nice and very intuitive (for me at least).

Could be, you guys had few beers too many ?

Cheers !

• 2 weeks later...

I did not have enough time with PV to compare the sound to iTunes on its own. I did notice bugs both in the iTunes server and from Remote app (for iPhone / iPod Touch). I have the newest version of PV, using it as an iTunes server, on a Mac Mini OS 10.6.2 with an OCZ SLC SSD and 4GB RAM, running iTunes and pulling the library from a Caldigit VR RAID1 hard drive. Whether the track position option is chosen or not in Preferences, the bar showing track position does not update itself. It stays at zero seconds as the song plays. A couple of times the sound stopped entirely, and once, using Screen Sharing into the Mac Mini from a MacBook Pro, the screen went black. Also there were clicks or ticks from time to time.

I decided it was a little too buggy for now, have set Audio Midi to 96KHz out, and I'll let iTunes do downsampling until the next PV release or a better solution. All I want is auto-native sample rate out, and good sound, nothing more. The user interface bugs unfortunately make me wonder what else might be wrong, including the audio engine.

If I were PV I would cut the number of available options in Preferences way down, to make things simpler (installation was easy, but there was too much to figure out afterward). And I would ditch the scrolling song title thing in favor of a display that simply shows the sample rate of the playing track, if that.

Cynic lately I have the same problems like the ones you mention and it is the only reason I havent bought it yet. Clicks, pops, music stops sometimes etc. I have tried playing with and without memory play and it still happens. So it is not memory play's fault!

Anybody has a solution on this?

Mike

MacBook Pro > M2Tech Evo > Stylos SYS HAD > Sovereign Director > Sovereign Power > Tidal Piano Cera (Cabling: Argento)