IGNORED

digital streaming into Cary 306 SACD player

I have a Cary Audio 306 SACD player which has digital inputs and can function as a DAC accepting streams up to 24/192. (Rest of the system is Cary SET pre-amp and amp going to Triangle Magellan speakers. Spent more on my stereo than my car.)

Available digital inputs are toslink, coax, AES/EBU. There is no clock input.

I want to hook a windows 7 computer to the SACD player to act as music server taking advantage of highest possible fidelity available in the files. I asked Cary technical support how to do this and they sent me here.

I've been reading the forum and there seem to be a lot of options and a lot of dedicated folks tolerant of questions from neophytes like myself.

Any suggestions?

Karl

Hi Karl - Welcome to Computer Audiophile. The 306 SACD player appears to have AES/EBU, Coaxial, and Toslink digital inputs. The highest fidelity in my opinion will be using a LynxAES16 audio card to output digital from 44.1 up to 192 via AES/EBU to the Cary 306. Another audio card that's substantially cheaper is the ESi Juli@. It will handle the same sample rates and output AES/EBU into your SACD player. Using Coaxial you can check out the ASUS Essence STX cards or the HDAV cards from ASUS. There are many Toslink options, but I really don't recommend them if you have Coaxial and AES/EBU as options.

If you use a laptop you will need a device that converts USB to AES or Coaxial S/PDIF. As of this writing the cap is 24/96, but 24/192 should be available fairly soon.

Let me know if I've only confused you more.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have been using the Cary 306 Pro for about a year now. Soon after I purchased it new, I picked up a Macbook laptop. Since the later purchase, the amount of actual CDs spinning in the 306 has decreased steadily to the current rate of about once a month. Yes, the DAC is that good.

As Chris pointed out, if you are using a laptop you will need to convert the USB to S/DIF. I have done this (3) different ways, first the Bel Canto USB converter, then Empirical Audio's Off-Ramp Converter (with Super Clock) and I am currently using the Sonicweld Diverter for USB Conversion. (a review of each forthcoming on Positive-feedback.com) While the Bel Canto is the most economical and has excellent sound, I am currently digging on the Sonicweld. The Empirical is no slouch either, but at this point in comes down to personal preferences.

I use the RCA digital input on the back of the Cary and the Cary figures out the rest. While I have no intention of selling the Cary, I can see clearly the use of the transport diminished to naught before too much longer.

Good Luck and enjoy the journey, jtb

[Outlet > Crystal Cable Reference Power Cords > Audio Magic Mini Stealth >] MacBook \"White\" (Sitting on Symposium Svelte Shelf and 3 Decouplers) > iTunes/Apple Lossless/iTouch Remote > Kimber Cable USB > Bel Canto 24/96 USB Converter > Cary 306 Pro SACD/CD/DAC > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC >Pass Labs X1 > Crystal Cable Reference Connect IC > Bryston 28B SST Mono Blocks > Transparent MM Ultra Speaker Cables > Verity Audio Parsifal Ovations> My Ears.....ahhhhhhh

• 4 weeks later...

I am using the CARY SACD 306 Pro with the M2Tech Hiface and like the sound a lot. I will be experimenting with an Empirical shortly.

Server is a dedicated box with minimal software and services running Jriver and Mediamonkey. For Ripping I use Dbpoweramp.

Server | EMM | Dartzeel | Evolution Acoustics

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for taking time to respond.

I've decided to try the m2tech hiface and have ordered one. Do you use JRiver to go to the Hiface? If using windows 7 on your box, what settings there?

BTW, doesn't the 306 pro have a USB in? Have you tried that?