IGNORED

DB Audio Labs

I'll post impressions after some use and break in.

Plinius SA-Reference, EMM Labs DCC2/CDSD, Soliloquy 6.5 Full Range Speakers, Mac Mini, Pure Music, dB Audio Labs Essential USB Cable, Empirical Audio Offramp 4 with Turboclocks & Hynes Regulator upgrades - Power Conditioning & Cabling by Silver Circle Audio

I know the designer of this DAC, he is an expert so I expect it to be good!

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

Lizard King said... "I know the designer of this [DB Audio Labs] DAC, he is an expert so I expect it to be good!"

Aren't the designers employed by most audio companies to design DACs experts?? :-)

Eloise

PS. sorry being facetious

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Telstar - No offense intended but it seems to me that it would only be "wrong" if that isn't what the manufacturer claimed or if they failed to disclose it. The fact that it doesn't pass 24/96 files (or other higher resolution files) without downsampling them might make it "wrong for you" but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong for everyone. In my particular case I don't have any "high res" files and don't anticipate getting any in the foreseeable future. My goal from the beginning has been to better the sound from my red book CD player AND achieve the ultimate convenience of having all of my "silver disc" music collection at the tip of my fingers on a computer screen. I've only been using my Tranquility DAC for a few days now so there is some more break in to be done but from what I've heard thus far, these guys have hit a home run as far as meeting my needs and expectations.

I imagine, given my past behavior, there WILL be a time when I will want to dabble in high res files. When/if that time comes I will obviously need to find a DAC that will do that. But chances are also pretty good that by that time I may have found that I prefer to go the MAC route and would have different hardware requirements altogether.

IMHO, for what it does, this is a stellar product.

I am not affiliated with dB Audio Labs in any way other than being a very satisfied customer.

Plinius SA-Reference, EMM Labs DCC2/CDSD, Soliloquy 6.5 Full Range Speakers, Mac Mini, Pure Music, dB Audio Labs Essential USB Cable, Empirical Audio Offramp 4 with Turboclocks & Hynes Regulator upgrades - Power Conditioning & Cabling by Silver Circle Audio

timztunz, I agree with you. If highres files do not matter, by all means the Tranquillity DAC seems a very fine unit.

They took care of some details that are often ignored but that matters a lot to the sound (see also my reply on audiocircle).

enjoy the music

This guy is so knowledgeable , I mean what he does now is great yet he always figures out newer and better methods so keep his stuff on your radar.

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.