IGNORED

Micromega WM-10 Airstream

Has anyone heard or used the Micormega WM-10 Airstream.

Basically it's an AirPort Express with a higher quality Analogue Output - still limited to 1fs rate (44.1 and 48). Using the Apple Airport Utility it appears as a standard AirPort Express and just uses iTunes (or presumably AirFoil) as any other AirPort Express.

Anyone got any ideas how it's constructed internally - does it use the rumoured USB output of the "network" portion into bespoke DAC, or is it just using the optical connection and a built in DAC?

The problem - cost is around £1000 in UK.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Just found out about it myself. I've always liked the Micromega sound. Only thing for me is I quite can't understand it's purpose. I mean why not just use an AirPort Express with a DAC. Also, it seems like it can only work as an Airtunes speaker, so it can't "pull" like an Apple TV. Would be cool if it had DAC inputs as well. We'll just have to see how this product develops over time. Nice to see Micromega is picking up again.

The AirStream features a native 24/196 based Crystal DAC set, uses a highly regulated R-Core transformer and a re-clocking system that reduces jitter to very low levels. It has no RJ45 input to prevent line noise contamination and can be configured to add onto an existing wireless network as well as additional unit throughout a home. It will not allow different source materials to be sent to different AirStream nodes.

I've heard this unit and can tell you on a $250K priced very high resolution hi-fi system, there was absolutely no difference between it and a new $10K CD player from a highly respected manufacturer. Zero hiss as well - The sound is just wonderful, and if you use the Apple "Remote" app, you can access all meta-data and build playlists in the palm of your hands. In my mind, this thing changes the way I access my music. Using Amarra, the sound of 24/192 files is magnificent. Sure you can use Airfoil and stream external services like Pandora, etc.

How's it sound compared with an Airport Express and say, a Cambridge Audio DacMagic for less money, not as good by any means. This things for real.

Sorry but unless I'm missing something your comments must have several inaccuracies.

You say it uses a "native 24/192 Crystal DAC" but 24/192 is impossible with this as it uses AirTunes to communicate which is limited to 16/44.1 and 48. So any 24/192 must be limited to upsampling or the DAC is 24/192 capable but only fed 16/44.1.

You also comment about the sound of Amarra - but what has this got to do with this device as Amarra only works with directly connected DACs (not via AirTunes). Also, as commented above, 24/192 files ate downsampled before transmission.

In terms of functionality there is no difference from an Airport Express. Sound quality may vary from a AirPort Express with £900 DAC (price comprable to the Micromega).

Finally I must ask: as this is your first post and you basically promoting the quality of the product without answering any of my questions as to how it varies from an Airport Express and DAC combo; do you have any links to Micromega (the manufacturer).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...