I am using INT202 connected to a Berkely Audio Alpha DAC on Windows 7.

I had much problem getting INT202 to work as an audio device (specifically as "speaker").

From a clean installation of Windows 7, I did the Weiss driver installation as instructed. Everything went on well. The INT202 was properly set up as indicated in Device Manager. Weiss IO programme could link up with INT 202. However, the speaker symbol in the notification area showed a cross even though Weiss Speaker was available for selection and is selected. When I issued command to check audio problems, Windows reported that Weiss audio device was disabled. This contradicts the status reported in Device Manager.

I had to try installation many times before it finally worked. That is Weiss Speaker showed in notification area instead of a crossed-out speaker symbol.

My joy lasted a while. Windows updated itself and subsequently, the problem i described 2 paras before came back to haunt me. I had to restore my windows to its previous state before I couls get Weiss speaker to work in the notification area again.

Not sure what is happening. Seeking your help. Thanks for reading.

You really need to contact Weiss about this ... Daniel is usually pretty responsive though he's probably been at CES (not sure - is it still on?) so give him some leaway.

As for suggestions to sort it ... is it possible for you to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch and then retry the drivers.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

This does appear to be a driver-related issue. Be sure to send the vendor detailed information about your system, which you can get from Device Manager.

Presumably you are using a laptop, and typically the IEEE 1394 interface lives on the PCIe bus, and shares one interrupt with several other interfaces, such as USB. This is typical for high-end digital media laptops, such as the HP HDX 18, and the similar dv8t. You can check in Device Manager and you'll see how the interrupts are arranged on your product. They are assigned by the ACPI and cannot be changed by the user.

In Vista, the IEEE 1394 interface has its own IRQ, at least on some brands, and the same product that doesn't work on Windows 7, works perfectly in Vista. If you check the Windows 7 driver section of the M-Audio forum, you'll see that this is a continuing problem.

The manufacturers of audio interfaces often test them and associated software on desktop systems that have a separate IEEE 1394 card, or an external IEEE 1394 interface. This configuration may work very well, but the ACPI on laptops apparently does things differently.

Another approach is to user RCA S/PDIF or TOSLINK (with a glass optical fiber connection, available from Wireworld and Audioquest) connection from your laptop. They almost always (for digital media spec products) will have TOSLINK, and Wireworld makes a product that has a miniature plug for just this purpose. On occasion, RCA coaxial S/PDIF is available through an inexpensive docking station.This way avoids dealing with the IEEE 1394 driver.

In terms of what you can do yourself, going to a different input modality is an immediate solution. Sorting through the IEEE 1394 driver issues will take a while.

And you might consider getting a purpose-built media server rather than trying to use the laptop. The switcher power supply in typical laptops is very noisy electrically, and will spread EMI via air and cabling to your system.