IGNORED

Help with Max

rom661

I'm not sure what's going on. I have used Max twice before and thanks to Chris' video tutuorial everything went smoothly. I just got back from CES and picked up some Reference Recordings stuff and no go. My prior experience was with 24/96 material from HD Tracks. When I hit the convert command in Max an error message comes up and says "An error occurred while converting the file .... Unable to create the output file."

Any thoughts?

Rick

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

I have deleted Max, gone through the whole setup with the video running, the whole thing. The only differences are that I have physical media and these are WAV files rather than FLAC.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

"An error occurred while converting the file .... Unable to create the output file."

While I'd personally recommend XLD as the ripper of choice, the error message suggests that you haven't set the output directory and Max is attempting to write back to the DVD/CD.

cheers

Paul

Perhaps I will try XLD. I did check the output and it is set to iTunes.

I neglected to mention that I am converting to AIFF.

If you are following Chris' video tutorial he sets the output to "same as source" and then under the iTunes preference he ticks "Use iTunes compatibility mode" and "Add output files to iTunes library".

If the output is set to "same as source" as per Chris's instructions Max will try to save the processed files to dvd/cd before it loads to them into iTunes. Because the dvd/cd media is write only Max will give an error consistent with the error message you are getting.

One way to avoid this problem is to set up a folder specifically for ripping purposes. I have a folder called "Ripped" set up inside the Music folder and use this as default location for all my ripped files. It makes it easier to clean up after a ripping session if all the files produced are in the same location rather than scattered through sundry source folders.

cheers

Paul

That makes sense. I wondered about the same as source but I don't question Chris on computer stuff. Audio I hold my own with. Funny that it worked before though.

I will try it and see. Thanks again.

Rick